Hi-new here. Question about pack-n-plays in room

Leesh5578

Hi! We are going on the Carnival Ecstasy in Jan 2011. We will be taking our son who will be 16 months at that time. I was wondering if Carnival provides a playpen for kids to sleep in, or if we have to bring our own?

Also, is it feasible to fit a pack-n-play in a regular interior room? I realize that a suite would be more roomy, but it is too expensive.

Thanks for your help!

Leesh

this recent thread might assist you

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1224389

answers-- yes carnival provides-- but our last cruise on Carnival Splendor a metal crib was provided not a PNP. Yes they fit, depending on size of cabin might be a little squished-- but you will make it work-- might want to explore option of coffee table being placed in the closet or possibly steward taking it away-- sometimes its possible sometimes not

Thanks! That thread did help. I have read through a few other threads where people have mentioned that they got an "upgrade" to a balcony and this was helpful so that the parents had something to do while the child was napping etc.

How does one get an "upgrade"? Is it just luck of the draw?

We booked a guarantee on Carnival once and was upgraded. We did nothing-- found out the day we boarded that our cabin had been assigned. 2nd cruise we had side by side balconies so requested that we were not upgraded- since we didnt want one moved & not the other. Grandparents were marked as upgrade ok & they did not get upgraded.

From what I have read-- seems better odd are when you book a "guarantee" room. On Princess & HAL we have only been upgraded when we have had "guarantees" and this was only when we had 1 or 2 persons booked in the cabin. We have never been upgraded with 3 or more in the cabin-- but likewise have never had the option of booking a 3 person cabin as a guarantee. We have had upsell offers though with 3 or more in a cabin

DH & I usually have to draw straws for who gets to go back to the cabin for nap time w/ the twins-- and neither of us sit on the balcony-- we usually take a nap ourselves :). Last cruise in a suite the only time we sat on the balcony while the kids napped was at Hubbard Glacier. So even if you keep your same cabin-- you will make the best of it-- read a book- read the next days Carnival Capers (daily newsletter)-- once the kids fall asleep sometimes I also just pack up stuff for the next port day or clean up, etc-- so unless you have a light sleeper-- we have cruised with & without balconies & only w/ kids-- we always have made it work out for us

Carnival Ecstasy does not have many balconies, although she is one of three of the Fantasy class that have had balconies added to some aft cabins. So chances of an upgrade are very slim. Space depends on what configuration of beds you are willing to tolerate. The original twin configuration was to have the beds in an L shape, one bed across the end wall, the other on one side. Or they put them together as a twin. Utilizing the L shape give you tons of room in the cabin, having the queen makes it a squeeze. EM

Thanks! That thread did help. I have read through a few other threads where people have mentioned that they got an "upgrade" to a balcony and this was helpful so that the parents had something to do while the child was napping etc.

How does one get an "upgrade"? Is it just luck of the draw?

The best way to get an upgrade is to pay for it.

On some ships, the balconies are actually smaller than the oceanview rooms, because the space for the balcony is carved out of the room footprint. Typically insides and balconies are 185 sq ft each, with the balcony room also having a 35 sq ft balcony. Oceanviews are typically 220 sq ft. For that reason, I'd prefer an oceanview while travelling with children, since it also avoids what I feel are the safety considerations with a balcony. I know a lot of threads talk about how the balcony is a must for use while the child naps, but on our first cruise with the kids, I found it to not really be that helpful. If you do get an upgrade, great, but I wouldn't sweat it if you don't.

Archived