Saturday Traffic into Cape Liberty

Just wondering what traffic is normally like going into the port in Bayonne on a Saturday morning?

Looks like we will be spending Friday night in Parsippany so we will be taking 287 to 24 to 78 into the port area and I think it should be about 45 mins w/o tons of traffic tie-ups...does this sound accurate?

Thanks in advance,

Sue

We need greatam to weigh in on this. Typically I think I80 to the NJ turnpike is recommended even though the tolls will be a bit more. There will be traffic, but not commuter rush hour traffic (huge difference). The worst traffic tie-up will be getting from the entrance to the port to the drop off.

I like to arrive about 10:30. I've done it 4 times and we've never encountered really bad traffic - most of the disembarking folks are gone by then and most of the embarking folks aren't there yet. I think the most time we waited in the traffic line was about 20 minutes, but we brought our patience, so that was OK.

Having said that, it is important to monitor the Explorer's arrival. During the past year she arrived really late a couple of times - once coming back from dry dock and once or twice due to medical or other emergencies and the embarkation was really awful. Each time it was known that the Explorer would be late and there were advisories about when to come to the pier. It seemed to me that the folks who really got caught in the mess were those who were not on top of the situation. If that happened to me, I think I wouldn't even attempt to get into the port until the traffic jam eased and would just go hang out in the shopping center on route 440.

Just wondering what traffic is normally like going into the port in Bayonne on a Saturday morning?

Looks like we will be spending Friday night in Parsippany so we will be taking 287 to 24 to 78 into the port area and I think it should be about 45 mins w/o tons of traffic tie-ups...does this sound accurate?

Thanks in advance,

Sue

Depends on the day of the week, time of year (Summer, winter, etc) and any possible holidays.

there is some construction on 78 very near the Newark area where 78 and the turnpike kind of are together...usually isn't bad, but the road is crappy there and the lanes are reduced...just figure a few extra minutes...i'd allow an hour ish. I was about 25-30 miles away a few weeks ago and due to this it took me about 70 minutes to get to the pier...not bad, just some traffic and peeps that weren't too familiar with the area...

It would be a Saturday and it is September 11th

Thanks for the info on the construction. Google maps says about 45 mins if I take 24 to 78 and if I go back to 80 to the turnpike its above an hour with traffic so...

Our last cruise vac started with a 10 min drive in Miami that took over 1 hr - 7 lanes wide so Im trying to avoid that headache if at all possible

It would be a Saturday and it is September 11th

Thanks for the info on the construction. Google maps says about 45 mins if I take 24 to 78 and if I go back to 80 to the turnpike its above an hour with traffic so...

Our last cruise vac started with a 10 min drive in Miami that took over 1 hr - 7 lanes wide so Im trying to avoid that headache if at all possible

FORGET those d**** mapping programs and directions on the East Coast. They are genuinely CRAP once you get East of Pennsylvania. They don't work particularly well in Southern California either.

From Parsippany, take I-80 to I-95 (New Jersey Turnpike). I-287 swings you about 15 miles WEST of where you started. I-78 is a disgusting excuse for a road-ALWAYS construction and traffic jams. PLUS I-287 goes through suburban "bedroom" communities, so lots of local traffic even on the week ends.

There should be LITTLE traffic Eastbound on I-80 early Saturday morning. That is a primary truck route and the truck traffic will be very light. Far easier driving than trying to go the way MapQuest/Google says to go. Those routes are what are called "short mileage" routes. Most are neither practical, easy or allow for traffic.

From Parsippany, take I-80 to I-95 (New Jersey Turnpike). I-287 swings you about 15 miles WEST of where you started. I-78 is a disgusting excuse for a road-ALWAYS construction and traffic jams. PLUS I-287 goes through suburban "bedroom" communities, so lots of local traffic even on the week ends.

There should be LITTLE traffic Eastbound on I-80 early Saturday morning. That is a primary truck route and the truck traffic will be very light. Far easier driving than trying to go the way MapQuest/Google says to go. Those routes are what are called "short mileage" routes. Most are neither practical, easy or allow for traffic.

Thanks so much - this is exactly the info I was looking for - I've never really trusted mapping programs and usually just use them to get approximates on times and route ideas. What I needed was someone with real life experience to give me a heads up.

So THANKS again! :D

Lots of partially correct info has been offered so far. Yes, if you take 287 to 78 you will go far out of your way...but I think your plan was to take 287 to 24 to 78...that negates that 15 mile westward trek that one poster mentioned. If you take 80 to 95 you are also going far out of your way (that's why the google drive time increased so much). And that is a major route to the Geroge Washington Bridge which has some rather infamous traffic backups. Now it is unlikely that you would see a tieup that far back on a Saturday morning, but....

I think your first idea of 287 to 24 to 78 to the Trunpike is still your best bet. An altenative is to take 280 East. it will dump you on the Turnpike at Exit 15...go south to 14 and follow the signs to 14 A B C. You want 14A.

BTW...I live in NJ...I've driven these routes

I think the secret to all this is to have maps and be flexible. The first thing to do is to tune in one of the news radio stations like 880 or 1010 for the traffic report, which is given every 10 minutes. That will tell you if there are any problems on any of these roads. The GW Bridge area is able to withstand some serious traffic, but there are always exceptions. I always take the GW Bridge going from NJ to MA, but there have been times when it was really messed up and I took the Holland or Lincoln Tunnel instead. Saturday morning should be nothing like a M-F morning.

I think your first idea of 287 to 24 to 78 to the Trunpike is still your best bet. An altenative is to take 280 East. it will dump you on the Turnpike at Exit 15...go south to 14 and follow the signs to 14 A B C. You want 14A.

BTW...I live in NJ...I've driven these routes

280 has some heavy construction in the Newark area. Two of the main exits in Newark are completely CLOSED. Getting on the NJTP is a real hassle until the construction is done.

BTW-I own a trucking company with an office in the Bronx. I have between 12-15 trucks making pickups and deliveries in the NY/NJ area every day of the week (we move food, so the trucks are rolling, particularly on Sundays). Just looked at our load board-one truck in Perth Amboy off Rt 440, two trucks in and around Elizabeth/Newark, one truck backed into the dock in Fair Lawn off Rt 20, one truck on its way up Rt 17 (which is jammed solid this morning), one truck off Exit X at the dock we sublet space at, and one truck on its way to Pitman, NJ. I can Quaalcom any of these drivers for an INSTANT traffic update (and often do to find out how the bridges/tunnels are moving when our trucks move between NY/NJ). I really am not someone sitting in Arizona or Missouri (actually, I am in Kuwait at present) who has just a "general" idea about NJ traffic. It is my business to know as much as possible and move these trucks around the NY/NJ area as efficiently as possible.

I-287 swings you about 15 miles WEST of where you started. I-78 is a disgusting excuse for a road-ALWAYS construction and traffic jams. PLUS I-287 goes through suburban "bedroom" communities, so lots of local traffic even on the week ends.

Wow, that's a slightly over-the-top reaction. Besides, you're confused about the routing. The OP said 287 to 24 to 78, which makes sense and is as close to a straight line as you are going to get. You're only on 287 for a minute or two, I think 24 is the first exit after getting on 287 in Parsippany (if you're coming from Route 10, anyway).

78 around the airport can be an issue, but route 80 is no picnic either.

Wow, that's a slightly over-the-top reaction. Besides, you're confused about the routing. The OP said 287 to 24 to 78, which makes sense and is as close to a straight line as you are going to get. You're only on 287 for a minute or two, I think 24 is the first exit after getting on 287 in Parsippany (if you're coming from Route 10, anyway).

78 around the airport can be an issue, but route 80 is no picnic either.

NOT confused about the routing at all. Traffic can really back up around Short Hills, especially on a weekend. As I posted, LOTS of local traffic on 287/24, as this is a main shopping area for those that live around there.

And if you take 24, you still end up on 78, which is confusing and crappy.

I-80 EASTBOUND on a Saturday morning is generally VERY, VERY quiet. I-80 WESTBOUND can be very congested after about 10AM with people going to the Poconos in the summer for a getaway and in the winter for skiing. But the traffic dies down after lunch generally.

GreatAm and I agree on lots of things....except directions....

My wife's relatives live in Boonton....that is up 287 from parsippiny/ troy hills...so I drive this a lot particularly on the weekends.

I would take 80 to 280 280 to its end and then to Bayonne on the NJ Turnpike. yes this takes your through Newark but its really the fastest way by far....

on the NJ Turnpike south one exit exit 14 to the turnpike exit towards the Holland Tunnel(which is also I78 east)...to route 440 s(exit 14a) to the cruise terminal

the route 24 way is the long way and the chances are you will hit more traffic(we shop at short hills too-its a country ride for me)....

this would also be the fastest way during the week....

. Two of the main exits in Newark are completely CLOSED.

quote]

Which would be important only if the op was getting off in Newark!

There has been so much extraneous and meaningless information on this thread, I sure hope the op is able find their way to the ship:)

The closures are backing up traffic all the way to/from the turnpike-lots of construction equipment and lane mergers.

greatam...the next time I fly into Newark, I'm calling you! :)

I'm cruising out of Bayonne next June and I wonder if all that contruction will be done. I drove past the Newark airport 2 weeks ago and it was a bit of a mess. Also, and not related, something I never understood about the east coast...you can't make a left turn anywhere!

Lots of helpful information here. Thanks!

I would take 80 to 280 280 to its end and then to Bayonne on the NJ Turnpike. yes this takes your through Newark but its really the fastest way by far....

on the NJ Turnpike south one exit exit 14 to the turnpike exit towards the Holland Tunnel(which is also I78 east)...to route 440 s(exit 14a) to the cruise terminal

the route 24 way is the long way and the chances are you will hit more traffic(we shop at short hills too-its a country ride for me)....

this would also be the fastest way during the week....

280 is all crapped up with construction. Your STIMULUS money at work (at $700,000 per job-wish they would hire me)

I'm cruising out of Bayonne next June and I wonder if all that contruction will be done. I drove past the Newark airport 2 weeks ago and it was a bit of a mess. Also, and not related, something I never understood about the east coast...you can't make a left turn anywhere!

it will never be done...call it JOB SECURITY!! Lololol:D

And yes, here you have to turn RIGHT to turn LEFT....but it's a LOT of fun to watch people try....(splat) :eek::p

OOoooo a CC member cruise??/ on Summit??/ From HOME??? THAT might have possibilities...

I'm cruising out of Bayonne next June and I wonder if all that contruction will be done.

By next June-that MAY be a possibility.

I drove past the Newark airport 2 weeks ago and it was a bit of a mess.

Isn't it always a "bit of a mess"????

Also, and not related, something I never understood about the east coast...you can't make a left turn anywhere!

You have to use the "jughandles" "roundabouts" -whatever you want to call those traffic circles to go right to make a left.

You should see the mass confusion when they put those things in both Loveland Colorado (at a huge outlet mall) and also in a new development in Phoenix. Fender benders up the kazoo.

OOoooo a CC member cruise??/ on Summit??/ From HOME??? THAT might have possibilities...
It's a CC member cruise and a Host Cruise for many of the CC hosts. It's going to be fun!

You should see the mass confusion when they put those things in both Loveland Colorado (at a huge outlet mall) and also in a new development in Phoenix. Fender benders up the kazoo.
I live about 45 minutes from that outlet mall in Loveland but it's been a year or so since I've been. Thanks for the heads up!

Cecilia

!

I live about 45 minutes from that outlet mall in Loveland but it's been a year or so since I've been. Thanks for the heads up!

Cecilia

When they first put in the "traffic circle" in the mall entrance off 34, they tried to make it an "East Coast" jughandle type entrance-go right to make a left. They averaged 10 fender benders a week-like megr1125 posted -SPLAT!!! They have since taken out the jughandle portion and now it is just a traffic circle.

The one in Phoenix (built by a prominent East Coast builder) is still in place. The residents have pretty well refused to use it and use one of the other streets to get out onto the main road out of the community. But it catches a lot of non residents off guard and there are still SPLATS just about weekly. It is off Buckeye Rd, US 85, which is a main road from just North of the Mexican border completely through Phoenix, so a heavily trafficked road. Messes up traffic really bad when there is a wreck.

As DH always says-you are only as smart as where you are. Certainly applies to jughandles.

and there was a fatal accident in NJ a couple of weeks ago allegedly caused by a GPS that told someone to turn left at a place where there was a jughandle right and they did so(turned left) directly into on coming traffic...

and there was a fatal accident in NJ a couple of weeks ago allegedly caused by a GPS that told someone to turn left at a place where there was a jughandle right and they did so(turned left) directly into on coming traffic...

that's terrible....but i have had my GPS wanting me to go the wrong way on a one way street...

@Admin...Hmmmm.....this seems to require further investigation!! (of course the HD on Explorer will KILL me if I cheat on =X= :eek::o:p)

Archived