Saturday Traffic into Cape Liberty

and there was a fatal accident in NJ a couple of weeks ago allegedly caused by a GPS that told someone to turn left at a place where there was a jughandle right and they did so(turned left) directly into on coming traffic...

Those d*** GPS/GoogleMaps, MapQuest, etc. etc. I have had more trouble with lost drivers, confused drivers, wrong road drivers in the last 18 months than we ever had before cell phones, laptops, Google maps, MapQuest.

GPS for the East Coast keeps routing my trucks onto the Parkways. For those drivers who have never been East, it is a MAJOR hassle to get an 80 foot semi turned around at a Parkway entrance. And two weeks ago, GPS routed the driver onto the "bridge" at 126th St and West Side Hwy. The "bridge" is actually the entrance to the Manhattan transfer garbage station. NOT made for 80,000 pound loaded semis or vehicles over 12 feet high. WHAT a major hassle-cops all over the place and a wad of tickets. And all the meat house employees laughing their butts off over the "stupid" driver. I am thoroughly embarrassed-I have been going to that meat market for over 30 years. I know when I get back in the USA and have to go up there, I will be laughed out of the place.

ONE MORE incident and I am going to ban GPS in the trucks. JMHO

ONE MORE incident and I am going to ban GPS in the trucks. JMHO

A GPS told me, whilst out "park hopping" in Utah, to turn into a cliff face, off the edge of a ravine, onto a heavily treed mountain slope, and into rock formations. Roads meant nothing to that GPS! Needless to say, I didn't pay much attention to her directions, but kept her on for entertainment.:D

that's terrible....but i have had my GPS wanting me to go the wrong way on a one way street...

@Admin...Hmmmm.....this seems to require further investigation!! (of course the HD on Explorer will KILL me if I cheat on =X= :eek::o:p)

I'm a Platinum NCL cruiser and this will be my first Celebrity cruise. I'm cheating!

When I was in NJ in June I wanted to go to the Merced Mall. I put in the 250 Merced Mall Road and it took me to 250 Merced Rd...a house! The jugheads I can handle now that I know that's how it is. :)

Driving from MA to meet the EOS in Cape Liberty. Another poster here advises we take the parkways so I THINK this is how to do it. Am I right?

I-84 to 684 to Hutchinson River Pkwy to Cross County Pkwy, to Saw Mill Pkwy to Henry Hudson Pkwy to I-78/Holland Tunnel to Exit 14A for Bayonne.

Does this make sense??

We will likely drive down the day prior so still need to book a hotel close by - perhaps Newark area.

Thank you thank you thank you!

It's half correct. It's I84 to Hartford, I91 south to exit 17 Wilbur Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway at some point and then the Hutchinson River Parkway at the NY line. In New Rochelle stay left and pick up the Cross County Parkway. Stay left again and at the end of the Cross County (not a big distance) take the Saw Mill River Parkway South. At the NYC line this becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway.

At this point you have two choices - drive through NYC to find the Holland Tunnel or cross to NJ. To stay in NYC you stay on the Henry Hudson, which ends in the west 50's by the Manhattan cruise terminal. Stay on that road (12th Ave???) all the way downtown to the Holland Tunnel. Pick up the NJ Turnpike at get off at Bayonne.

To cross to NJ take the GW Bridge exit from the HH Parkway (left exit), cross the bridge (upper level is easiest - don't have to cross 4 lanes of traffic to get on the lower level). Stay in the middle lanes, follow the signs to 80 west and take the NJ turnpike exit. Follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel - this takes you on the original turnpike. Don't exit - just stay on and go through the toll booths to actually get onto the turnpike. Watch for exit 14, 14A, 14B, and 14C - get off and follow the signs to 14A.

If you're driving in the night before, we've been recommending bidding on 3* hotels in Secaucus - there's one on there now for $69 that could be the Crowne Plaza. This is a much nicer neighborhood than Newark Airport - the hotels are newer and more reasonable. If you decide to do this, check back so we can check the directions. There is a west and east turnpike choice coming from I80 and, depending on what hotel you get, you need to pick the right one. Also, print out some maps of the area - GPS is really bad in this area.

138Easst

Thank you SO much for those directions. Hubby def wants to go the parkway route - and I think we'd prefer the GW Bridge as opposed to the Holland Tunnel.

Secaucus would be about a 40'ish minute ride Saturday morning? Are we better off staying a bit closer? I just worry so about traffic and would like to be at the port by 10:30 or so unless that is really too early.

It's half correct. It's I84 to Hartford, I91 south to exit 17 Wilbur Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway at some point and then the Hutchinson River Parkway at the NY line. In New Rochelle stay left and pick up the Cross County Parkway. Stay left again and at the end of the Cross County (not a big distance) take the Saw Mill River Parkway South. At the NYC line this becomes the Henry Hudson Parkway.

At this point you have two choices - drive through NYC to find the Holland Tunnel or cross to NJ. To stay in NYC you stay on the Henry Hudson, which ends in the west 50's by the Manhattan cruise terminal. Stay on that road (12th Ave???) all the way downtown to the Holland Tunnel. Pick up the NJ Turnpike at get off at Bayonne.

To cross to NJ take the GW Bridge exit from the HH Parkway (left exit), cross the bridge (upper level is easiest - don't have to cross 4 lanes of traffic to get on the lower level). Stay in the middle lanes, follow the signs to 80 west and take the NJ turnpike exit. Follow the signs to the Lincoln Tunnel - this takes you on the original turnpike. Don't exit - just stay on and go through the toll booths to actually get onto the turnpike. Watch for exit 14, 14A, 14B, and 14C - get off and follow the signs to 14A.

If you're driving in the night before, we've been recommending bidding on 3* hotels in Secaucus - there's one on there now for $69 that could be the Crowne Plaza. This is a much nicer neighborhood than Newark Airport - the hotels are newer and more reasonable. If you decide to do this, check back so we can check the directions. There is a west and east turnpike choice coming from I80 and, depending on what hotel you get, you need to pick the right one. Also, print out some maps of the area - GPS is really bad in this area.

Gotta Love NJ :) Four >>>>>> 14 exits. LOL

Jimbo:)

Driving from MA to meet the EOS in Cape Liberty. Another poster here advises we take the parkways so I THINK this is how to do it. Am I right?

I-84 to 684 to Hutchinson River Pkwy to Cross County Pkwy, to Saw Mill Pkwy to Henry Hudson Pkwy to I-78/Holland Tunnel to Exit 14A for Bayonne.

Does this make sense??

We will likely drive down the day prior so still need to book a hotel close by - perhaps Newark area.

Thank you thank you thank you!

my personal opinion is this is faster and more direct than driving over the GWB to NJ....but then again I live in NY....

after the Holland tunnel you get on the NJ Turnpike and off at the same 14a....

3ttellas - Secaucus is about 1/2 hour from Bayonne. It should not be a problem on a Saturday morning planning to arrive around 10:30. Newark is about 20 minutes from Bayonne and could be longer if you take a wrong turn.

For folks who are driving, particularly from the north, we started recommending staying in Secaucus because overall it is a nicer, more comfortable and less confusing area than Newark Airport and the hotel deals are better and more consistent on Priceline and Hotwire. We ALWAYS recommend that folks print out directions to the hotel as well as a map of the local area. GPS just doesn't do a good job sometimes in the Secaucus, Newark, Bayonne area. If you stay in Secaucus, be sure to check whether you should be on the eastern or western spur of the turnpike when it splits below route 80.

Archived