Venice Hotel and Transportation Info Needed

TeeVeeGuy

We are a 60 sonething couple in so-so shape embarking on a 12 day cruise out of Venice in August on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Arriving at the airport and need a hotel recommendation in the San Marco area and transportation from the airport to the hotel AND hotel to the Port.

Thanks

It's hard to recommend a hotel without knowing someone's preferences or budget. Do you want a room with a shared bathroom for $90 or a room overlooking the Grand Canal for $500?

We were in Venice last month and chose to stay near the Piazzalle Roma since it was easy acess to the Grand Canal (therefore easy access to St Marks and everywhere else), close to the cruise terminal, and it's also where we caught the airport bus.

This web site was great for all kinds of information; hotels, transportation, sights, Murano, etc.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal-hotels-piazzale-roma.htm

We are a 60 sonething couple in so-so shape embarking on a 12 day cruise out of Venice in August on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Arriving at the airport and need a hotel recommendation in the San Marco area and transportation from the airport to the hotel AND hotel to the Port.

Thanks

Depends on your price tolerance. The only really convenient way around Venice is by water taxi.

Look up Locando Orseolo and Ca'Angeli on trip advisor. You can get directly to the door of both by water. Ca' Angeli is in San Polo but an easy walk to St mark's

From St mark's to the ship you would want a water taxi or water bus.. The alilaguna M line connects St Mark's and the port.

All info on http://www.veniceforvisitors.com You shoul buy a map.

Hotel recommendation - Hotel Mercurio. Check this one on their website and on Tripadvisor. Stayed there in the spring and loved it. Pay the extra 10E for a room overlooking the canal.

Airport to San Marco. The Venice airport is pretty small, so don't be concerned about finding things. Go out the front door, and you will find spaces for several buses, with illuminated signs for destinations. Find the Bus #5 space, and you can buy tickest (I think 3E) from the machine, or also inside the airport. When the bus pulls up, driver will help if any questions. Validate ticket in machine, and board. Last stop will be Piazza Roma. Take the water taxi (water bus) from there to San Marco. Roll luggage from San Marco to hotel. Mercurio is about 2 blocks. Things could be rough if you can't roll luggage, as there aren't any regualr taxis. Get a good street map ASAP, bevieve me, you WILL need it.

To Port - didn't do that.

We are same age and shape that you are. We are taking a water taxi from airport to hotel. This will cost about 100 Euro. Our hotel, Bonvechiatti has a water taxi landing so we don't have to handle our own luggage from St. Marks to hotel. We plan on taking a water taxi from hotel to port. Just not worth it to maybe hurt ourselves trying to drag our luggage through Venice.

To save over $225, consider a hotel at P. Roma. You can take a regular bus from the airport to P.Roma for 3 E. each and it's a very short walk to the hotel. We stayed at Best Western Olimpia with a room on the canal and wonderful free breakfast.We walked to SanMarco easily, but could have taken a water taxi. We then walked to the port,but could have taken a ship's shuttle from P.Roma if we had known about it.A car taxi to the port is 10E and I've read the People Mover from P.Roma to the ship is not operating.

We too are in our 60's and choose the Locando Orseolo. It is on the canal and can be assessed by private water taxi. The "unique" thing about this B&B is you enter via a Window! Breakfast is also provided. If they are full, they should have another hotel of which was under renovation when we were there and should be up and running. The Putauch family was wonderful. This is the way to experience the local culture. The property is situated 5 minutes walk from St. Marks, the Rialto Bridge and many other areas of interest.

We will be arriving in Venice on the Vision of the Seas. Our flight leaves early the next morning (8am). We need recommendations for a reasonable hotel (where to stay - near airport or another area) and transportation to the airport from the hotel. This will be our first time flying out of Venice.

Easy one. For an early flight, I totally recommend the Marriott at the airport!! Very nice and reasonably priced hotel and free transport to the airport, a 5 minute ride. I normally never recommend large American chain hotels in Europe--this is the one exception. You could check your luggage at Piazzale Roma after disembarking, then spend the day seeing Venice. Grab your bags and take either a taxi or a bus to the airport that evening, and you will be in great shape. We also had a fun and very inexpensive dinner right down the street at Crazy Pizzeria, after blowing a huge wad of money the night before in Venice on a not-that-great meal.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks

We are taking the same cruise in April 2011 and I am already doing research. Have seen a lot of good info on the Best Western Olimpia. My husband has back trouble and I am concerned about luggage as well. Please let us know what decisions you make and how they worked out after you come back. Enjoy!

Last year, we stayed at the Hilton Stucky Molino, booked through Hotwire and therefore a decent rate.

We had taken a vaporetto (the water bus) until San Marco and from there the free hotel shuttle-boat to the hotel.

The next day, we took a water taxi to the port (60 euro)

I believe there is a place near the train station where you can leave your luggage.

We are booked at the Marriot for one night after our cruise. It seemed like a good place and close to the airport. Pre-cruise we have four days so booked a Venetian hotel but I can't imagine having to rush to the airport for an early flight the next day from Venice.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Had you considered staying in Mestre, a suburb of Venice? In 2006 we stayed at the Best Western Hotel Bologna for considerably less than hotels in Venice proper. I am now researching hotels there for a post cruise stay in April 2011 - the Hotel Bologna's prices have increased a lot because it's recently been renovated so am likely to go with either the Hotel Tritone or Hotel Plaza.

Mestre is well connected to Venice by both the train and buses (#2 bus) which travel every 10-15 minutes. Cost of the train is 1 Euro pp each way, and the bus is 1.10 Euro pp each way. Or you can buy a 2 or 3-day travel pass that is valid for both the bus and water buses in Venice.

The Airport bus takes 17 minutes (I'm told) and stops right outside many hotels on Viale Stazione - right across from the train station. You'll find the Hotel Tritone, Hotel Plaza, and Best Western Hotel Bologna, among others, there.

Hope this helps.

Bev

Archived