Acropolis Tour

ronnie64

I haven't used one, but did a little research thinking I might do that when I went with my son.

Like Pompeii, the Colosseum and other sites, guides will try to get together a group of 10 or so at the entrance. The going rate is per tour, not per person. From what I've read the guides charge around 100-120 euro. If you share with others it will obviously reduce the per person cost.

Some have suggested you choose a guide carefully, some are easier to understand than others and some might just be more entertaining.

Thanks again Cynthia. This is very helpful. We may go with a group to Diy or at least try to meet up at the Acropolis to do this. I will see once we are on board and talk a bit at the meet and greet. Might be worth it especially with 2 teen daughters.

Right now I am still trying to decide how nervous to be with my 19 year old daughter bringing her "good" camera. I did buy her a pacsafe bag for it, but am wondering if I need to get a slash proof strap. I have already gone over with her the guidelines(the code word for rules after your are over 18--ha ha). The camera is in the bag secured or in your hands with strap on neck. Am I getting paranoid? Trying not to look like an easy target. We have 2 money belts besides the bag and I have a cross body purse for incidentals and a small amount of cash. Can you ease my mind a bit???:confused:

We toured DIY in Athens and didn't see anything to make us overly nervous about our valuables. Standard big-city precautions (which you are taking) should be fine.

I always take extra memory chips and put in a new one after each day of touring. At least that way, if the camera is lost or stolen, you don't lose the irreplaceable pictures you've already taken.

Licensed guides are there for hire at least two years ago. We were there first thing in the morning prior to opening waiting inline with mostly DIY that early. I think and there were only 3 guides I recalled. Maybe with the economy that it is maybe even more no to choose from???

We were a private party of 15 so the price of 100 euros wasn't an issue. I have no clue if they do smaller groups for less or wait untile they get 8-10 people. Very useful as most in our group hadn't read up about the place. Her English was good, knoweldge of history/etc. decent as expected. Her ability to make it exciting and interesting for the kids not so much, YMMV.

I remember someone mentioning that there are guides at the entrance to the Acropolis offering tours. Anyone use one of these? Price? Any help appreciated

I'd think cameras aren't as valuable to thieves as cold hard cash will be but need to still be careful. I had a PacSafe purse that I used in all ports with no problems. The day we were at the Acropolis, there were 4 other ships in port; very large crowds at Acropolis. With that many people, just be aware you are pressed up against a wall of people climbing uneven marble, sometimes slippery steps so everyone tends to be concentrating on remaining upright. Day we were there, two people said they had money stolen. Watch your surroundings, use normal precautions and you should be okay.

Last month we took the metro and did a DIY. As CoralReef said it's just another big city. I was more attentive on the way back to port because we were on a 5pm train; we had to stand and were packed very closely.

We observed several very obvious pickpockets in Portugal and Spain. They'd hop on at one stop, with a jacket or sweater draped over their arm, then jostle their way thru the entire carriage before hopping off at the next stop. I was amazed at how careless the tourists were, especially women with large purses open and unzipped, or, intently focused on getting a picture while their purse sat on a rock nearby.

BTW there were at least a dozen people at the entrance offering their services as guides. Don't know how you would pick someone in that kind of situation. If you want a guide you should get a recommendation ahead of time. OR a good guide book !

Don't miss the changing of the guard. We almost didn't go; our feet were tired, but it was sooo worth it. It was about a 15 minute walk from the Monastriki stop.

Thanks for all of the responses. I am trying to make sure that my girls understand how to be secure on our trip, and kind of do that unconscoiusly, without being paranoid or obsessed. After all this is a vacation and should be fun. We will have 2 money belts and a pacsafe bag that will be used for the SLR camera. I am still debating whether we need the pacsafe camera strap. Anyone use one? We will be using a camera strap anyway--is it necessary for the slashproof strap? Are the "thiefs" this brazen to slash a neck strap?

★★★Look at viator.com they have a private walking tour to the acropolis. I have used viator several times for my vacations and they have always come through with flying colors! ★★★

I have one of those straps for my camera. They will try to get whatever they can on people who do not pay attention to their belongings. The gypsies are the worst. They can spot a potential client in a heartbeat. If your flashy with your prized possessions then you will be ripped off. Be on your TOES wherever you go in the Meditteranean. They are watching YOU!

... I am still debating whether we need the pacsafe camera strap. Anyone use one? We will be using a camera strap anyway--is it necessary for the slashproof strap? Are the "thiefs" this brazen to slash a neck strap?

Yes, some thieves are brazen enough to slash a neck strap on a camera or a shoulder strap on a bag. There have been reports of people hurrying by (on foot or scooter) and trying to slash & grab purses/cameras/backpacks. The danger in that if you have a strap that won't break is that you could be knocked to the ground or dragged. I haven't seen this, but I've read about it. We go to Europe during the light season (April, May, Nov, Dec) so we haven't experienced the big crowds which attracts the thieves.

I also don't think the safety pouches that have a neck strap are a good idea. They can easily be slashed or you could have your neck jerked. We use a "hidden pocket" that slides on your belt and tucks in your pants.

Thanks for all of the responses. I am trying to make sure that my girls understand how to be secure on our trip, and kind of do that unconscoiusly, without being paranoid or obsessed. After all this is a vacation and should be fun. We will have 2 money belts and a pacsafe bag that will be used for the SLR camera. I am still debating whether we need the pacsafe camera strap. Anyone use one? We will be using a camera strap anyway--is it necessary for the slashproof strap? Are the "thiefs" this brazen to slash a neck strap?

Don't secure your camera to such an extent that it is not quickly (meaning instantly) usable. If you can't grab it in an instant you are going to miss the shots and you might as well leave it at at home. As far as a money belt depending on where you are going, you are being paranoid. Athens is a big city, take the same precautions as you would in New York, LA or Chicago.

Well we are taking the money belts as we are going in peak tourist season and we will be in Rome and Barcelona. I will definitely feel ready to enjoy my vacation knowing that my cc and most money is secure. Will probably not get the pacsafe camera strap. Just thinking this may be over the top.

BTW, tell your cc company that you will be overseas, or they could put a stop on your card. This happened to my co-worker last yr.

And don't take all your cards with you every day. For example take your Mastercard with you and leave the Visa on board just in case the MC is stolen. Have a great trip. We had a fantastic time !! a memorable vacation !!

I believe I am truly out of reading time at this point. Getting burnt out on research, I think. Too many ports to plan. Thanks for the suggestion, though. We leave in 1 week!!! Woo hoo

I believe I am truly out of reading time at this point. Getting burnt out on research, I think. Too many ports to plan. Thanks for the suggestion, though. We leave in 1 week!!! Woo hoo

I can empathize with that feeling! but you'll be glad you did all that research when you're back from your successful trip. Enjoy !

★★★Look at viator.com they have a private walking tour to the acropolis. I have used viator several times for my vacations and they have always come through with flying colors! ★★★

HA! Viator is awful!!! Maybe they have gone downhill since you used them. We did a cruise with them from Athens. The only time I had anything stolen was on their boat and I think their staff took it as it showed back up when I had a panic attack over them telling me that we didn't have contact with anyone off the boat while we were out of port. I thought I had been pick-pocketed on Hydra, then magically the purser had my wallet when he hadn't 15 seconds ago. I've been trying to find where to post a review on here since I found the site so that no one has to repeat my nightmare.

Archived