Which cabin category

dorisg55

My DH and I are planning an Alaskan Cruisetour with our 2 adult children. We are planning on all staying in the same cabin to make it more affordable for all. I know you don't spend a lot of time in the cabin. We have had 4 in cabins before on other lines. I'm looking at a Balcony or Mini, I would consider an Outside but got spoiled with a Balcony. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Depending on the ship, IMO either a balcony on the Caribe deck, where the balconies are large, or a mini on the Emerald deck are best.

On the Grand class ships (ie. we were on the Star), the Caribe balconies are about half again as deep as "regular" balcony cabins, and would accomodate 4 people much better. They have 4 chairs and a dining height table. Also, they are half covered, so there's some protection from weather.

The Emerald deck minis are great because they are covered, in case of inclement weather. A mini would give you more room for everyone too. There are only about a dozen Emerald minis per ship, so they need to be booked early.

Since in Alaska you may have beautiful weather, or not so beautiful weather, I would suggest a mini suite. A huge balcony on Caribe is nice, if you can spend a lot of time out there. But as we all know, the weather up North is very unpredictable, and a mini suite would not only give you extra space inside, but also a balcony 9 ft by 7 ft, not much smaller than the Caribe balcony cabins.

Good luck on whichever you choose!

All the mini-suites I saw slept the 3/4 person on a sofabed. No drop down bunks. Would your adult children share a bed? EM

The sofa beds are for one passenger only, not two. If you saw only a sofa bed, than that was a triple cabin. A quad must have a drop down bunk for the forth person in the stateroom or it is not a quad mini suite.

My DH and I are planning an Alaskan Cruisetour with our 2 adult children. We are planning on all staying in the same cabin to make it more affordable for all. I know you don't spend a lot of time in the cabin. We have had 4 in cabins before on other lines. I'm looking at a Balcony or Mini, I would consider an Outside but got spoiled with a Balcony. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

AD Mini for the covered balcony.....:):):)

Bob

Archived