Dining and Seating - very silly question

Okay - so I am a little concerned about the MDR seating. We have chose the late seating (8:30 PM) and I understand we will most likely be sat with strangers. The problem is DH is painfully shy and has a very difficult time making "small talk" with strangers, and generally comes off rude because he is so quiet. :o (I know that sounds kinda mean - but it is the truth.) I, on the other hand can make small talk with just about anyone - I guess opposites do attract! :p

So - is there any way we would be able to request a larger table with more people (so that if he is not as talkative it would not be so awkward and he can kind of "blend") or a table for 2 in the MDR? We do want to utilize the MDR because we would like to "experience" it at least once for each meal, so at some point we will be in there. I just want him to be able to relax and enjoy his trip as well.

Also, in the WJ - is it open seating where we can sit alone?

I hope this post does not come across as snooty or rude......we are not against meeting new people - he just does not like to be forced into those kinds of situations....sorry if I offend anyone! :(

If you choose you can have a table for two or a much larger table. You can have it noted on your reservation (either through your TA or RCI). When you get on board check out your table as soon as you board and see if the size of table meets your needs.

In the Windjammer you can sit where ever you would like.

Hi,

Please don't fret. Dining should be whatever and however you want. If you want to sit alone you can request this. If you want to sit with others they will try to oblige too.... they will do their very best to meet your requirements. When you board you can head straight to the dining room and check your table location out. If you don't like it you can ask the Maitre d' if s/he will move you.

The Windjammer buffet is open seating. You can sit wherever you like.

If you don't intend to dine in the MDR each night it would be polite to advise your server that you won't be in so they don't hold others back waiting if you are sharing. Alternatively you could consider My Time Dining where the seating is as previously described.

PS Don't worry about offending anyone on CC..... we're mostly all pretty thick skinned ;)

Okay - so I am a little concerned about the MDR seating. We have chose the late seating (8:30 PM) and I understand we will most likely be sat with strangers. The problem is DH is painfully shy and has a very difficult time making "small talk" with strangers, and generally comes off rude because he is so quiet. :o (I know that sounds kinda mean - but it is the truth.) I, on the other hand can make small talk with just about anyone - I guess opposites do attract! :p

So - is there any way we would be able to request a larger table with more people (so that if he is not as talkative it would not be so awkward and he can kind of "blend") or a table for 2 in the MDR? We do want to utilize the MDR because we would like to "experience" it at least once for each meal, so at some point we will be in there. I just want him to be able to relax and enjoy his trip as well.

I hope this post does not come across as snooty or rude......we are not against meeting new people - he just does not like to be forced into those kinds of situations....sorry if I offend anyone! :(

We did My Time Dining on our last cruise and was always able to get a table for 2. Because you want to sit alone does not make you snooty or rude. People go on cruises for different reasons. Some like to meet new friends while others like to take the opportunity to have some "alone" time.

We did My Time Dining on our last cruise and was always able to get a table for 2. Because you want to sit alone does not make you snooty or rude. People go on cruises for different reasons. Some like to meet new friends while others like to take the opportunity to have some "alone" time.

Thanks for this - I was worried that it would seem "anti-social" if we chose to dine alone.

Hi-You should be re-assured that you have lots of choices in your mealtime seating. I do understand your husband's shyness, as I have a family member like that.

My opinion is that you should request a large table, which means your DH doesn't have to be a focus of conversation, but you will still get the chance to interact with others, sharing your experiences in port etc.

If you try that, and he is still uncomfortable, you could request a change to a table for 2. Don't miss out on dining in the MDR--it is a leisurely, elegant experience that is so much more than just eating to feed your hunger. My DH and I almost always have breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer, but we really look forward to the MDR experience.

Good luck, and have a great cruise!

Barb

Don't worry about hubby....most folks LOVE to talk, and all he'll have to do is listen! Tablemates truly make dinner a special event...not just a time to eat! He'll be fine, and you'll have a blast! (Besides, having tablemates give you and hubby something to talk about later!!!)

You might want to go ahead & ask your travel agent to put down your request for a LARGE table before sailing. If you booked direct with RCI, then call & tell the agent your table size request. You don't have to wait until you get on the ship. :)

My DH is VERY quiet. I mean VERRRRY much so. On his first cruise we were at a table for 8 and with other being the ones to start conversations, he chimed right in just fine. I usually have a problem starting small talk, but am fine once I get going, lol.

If you do decide to sit at a larger table, once he gets into the flow of things, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Enjoy your cruise!

I dont think the size of the table makes much differance because you will still feel you need to make polite conversation with the person sat next to you , I personaly think that if your DH is that shy it might be wise to ask for a table for two .We were my time dining and so sat with strangers ( differant ones each night too ) , my problem was not that i didnt want to chat but sometimes i just couldnt understand what people were saying , being a little hard of hearing and people talking so quietly i found it a little embarrasing at times , also there was many mixed nationalities on our Med cruise and sometimes there was a language barrier , one lovely Korean couple we sat with we just couldnt make out half of what they were saying to us , so that became uncomfortable . I love meeting new people and we made many friends during dining but it can at times be very strained for various reasons .

We requested a large table and had a table for 8 on the FoS. We said that we wanted to meet people, and the RCI rep advised us on a large (8-10) table because "you could be stuck with a couple you hate at a table for 4!" :D Granted, they could always move you, but I loved his honesty...

We always ask for a table for 2, but several times it wasn't granted until we boarded the ship and changed it right away. Visiting the dining room and checking for our table is the first thing we do when we board. Also, if you decide to eat breakfast in the dining room in the morning, you can state that you would like to wait for a table for two people alone. We are not morning people, but choose to eat in the dining room for breakfast. Enjoy your cruise.

I can totally relate to this because my DH is exactly the same.:eek: The trouble is, I tend to gabble away to cover up for his silences, so I'm sure people get tired of me after a very short while! Still, we do like to meet new people and we have made good friends with table mates on our cruises (usually by the end of the week he is coming out of his shell :D), so we tend to sit at a table for 6 or 8.

My husband and myself are the opposite. I tend to be very quiet around strangers and I rely on him to make the small talk - which he is very good at!! I love meeting new people though!

Our last cruise, we ended up at a 6-person table but with only 2 couples. Whenever there was a lull in conversation, the men went directly to sports and it worked out great!

I've been at 6, 8, and 10 person tables. I would recommend 8-person for a good mix and he'll be fine! The first night and maybe the next may be a tad awkward but after that, everyone is typically at ease!

Have fun!! :)

No offense at all. Not everyone likes to eat and socialize. Once I sat at a table with a single young guy who wouldn't say one word and you could tell he couldn't wait for dinner to be over and leave. It was very awkward. One nice things about cruising is socializing with people in the dining room. Strangers can become close friends by the end of the cruise, but I realize that not everyone is a social butterfly. You certainly can request a large table of 8 through your travel agent and I would reconfirm this once on board the ship with the Maitre'd. I think a round table is better than a square table because with a round table your not directly across from just one person, but the whole table (if that makes sense) and not force into direct conversation with one or two folks seated right across from him. So with you seated right next to him you can be the liaison for the both of you. He can eat; you can talk. Just let folks know up front in a friendly way that he's the quiet one and your talker. That way one everyone will understand the situation and no one's offended. I think most will understand. If that doesn't work out maybe just a table for two would be best option. Ask the Maiter'd to switch your table. Yes, the WJ has plenty of tables for two. Even if you sit at a larger table your free to eat alone. Completely open seating. Have a great time.

I think at the larger tables, at least half the couples consist of one "talker" and one "non-talker." I think you'll be fine at any size table.

You can call RCI and request to have any size table you like added to your reservation.

I feel your pain. You want your husband to enjoy dinner. If you get to the table and he doesn't enjoy your tablemates, request a small table for 2, but don't miss out on the MDR. I got my feelings hurt one year at work because a co-worker referred to my Grandson as "arrogant" because he wasn't interested in socializing with the other kids his age. I'm a big talker and have never met a stranger so they couldn't believe I had a member of my family that was shy. He's far from arrogant and is one of the nicest, most polite young men you could ever know. He's not comfortable with a crowd of strangers and this past weekend "karma" hit him. His cousin has been trying to set him up (he's now 16) with his girlfriend's sister. He came home and said he didn't like her because she was arrogant...she's shy too. What a mismatch to have 2 shy people introduced and left to make conversation! My daughter is all about socializing and her husband is very quiet. He enjoys cruising (he's been on 9 so far), but has always requested not to have to go the kids club. He and the cousin (the socializer) hang out together.

Firstly, I'm pretty sure there are no stupid questions when you start cruising so don't worry, and welcome!

Secondly, it's your family's holiday, and if anyone in your family isn't comfortable sitting with others, then ask to sit alone. The waiters don't mind! My DH would rather jump off the ship than have to make small-talk with anyone else at dinner, and although I'm happy to chat for a little while, I'd rather just enjoy my dinner with my DH and my DD, so we always ask to sit alone. We just chat to each other and the waiters, instead! :)

Some folks love to meet and chat to others on holiday, some don't - it takes all sorts to make the world go round and it's your holiday!

Enjoy x

Not everyone likes to dine with "strangers", I know I don't, so that's why we had My Time Dining on our last 2 cruises, table for 2. (and I ended up all by myself on formal night, because my mom was feeling sick. they asked me if I wanted to join another table, but I declined)

On the Greek cruise, at the Meet & Mingle we got to know other cruisers, and we ended up having dinner with them from that night on.

For breakfast/ lunch at MDR, we also always ask table for 2. Don't feel uncomfortable about it, others do it too!

I feel your pain. You want your husband to enjoy dinner. If you get to the table and he doesn't enjoy your tablemates, request a small table for 2, but don't miss out on the MDR. I got my feelings hurt one year at work because a co-worker referred to my Grandson as "arrogant" because he wasn't interested in socializing with the other kids his age. I'm a big talker and have never met a stranger so they couldn't believe I had a member of my family that was shy. He's far from arrogant and is one of the nicest, most polite young men you could ever know. He's not comfortable with a crowd of strangers and this past weekend "karma" hit him. His cousin has been trying to set him up (he's now 16) with his girlfriend's sister. He came home and said he didn't like her because she was arrogant...she's shy too. What a mismatch to have 2 shy people introduced and left to make conversation! My daughter is all about socializing and her husband is very quiet. He enjoys cruising (he's been on 9 so far), but has always requested not to have to go the kids club. He and the cousin (the socializer) hang out together.

I can so relate to that.

While I have no problems to "talk" to people online, I am very shy in real life. You could say I am "scared" of people I don't know (well). However, I try to not always be looking to the ground or so, to "keep my head up high". Combine that with the fact that I am very tall + wear heels (and therefore literally look down on people), most people think I am very arrogant. I am not, I am just too scared to start conversation with them.

Also, since I am not the most social person and not good at chitchatting and being the cool 30yo, even if someone else starts conversation, I am almost always unable to just keep it going

*sigh*

You should absolutely feel free to ask for a different table size. On my honeymoon cruise, we asked for a table for two, simply because we wanted to be alone because it was our honeymoon. Every cruise other than that, we've enjoyed sitting with others but you should do what makes you happy. After all, you are paying for the vacation!

Hi: We were always the late seating for dinners (8:30). There was no MTD on any ship years ago, so it was that or 6:00 which was too early. We almost always had a table for 8 or 6. Most times we were lucky to have nice table mates....

Two years ago, we did traditional but requested on booking, a table for 2 which we got. It was great!!! Plenty of places to meet and chat up with people during a cruise. We find the special dinner time great at a 2 top.

Since they started MTD (My Time Dining), we tried it and would NEVER go back to traditional. No problem, always ask and get a table for 2..They ask if you want to share and all we say is "no thanks, table for 2 please".

We are doing this again on NCL (There is no traditional times) on the Dawn to Bermuda on 8/29/10 and also on RCCI Explorer on 11/7/10 for 12 nites. MTD table for 2. What could be better!

Why should your DH feel uncomfortable during a nice dining experience! Take the pressure off him and consider MTD, Table for 2. If he wants to chat with people during the day/evening, it'll be his choice. This way he doesn't have to feel stressed before he even starts on his cruise!!

JMO

Have a wonderful cruise whatever your choose.

Definitely request a table for two. We do this on every cruise, as it's our alone time. We've seen what are clearly supposed to be large tables only fill up with one or two couples, and it just seems awkward. So even if you request a large table, it may not end up having a lot of people, and then you're sort of stuck with what you didn't want.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to know I can request a two person table. My hubby and I have the worst luck in the world~! On our 1st cruise we were told we would be sat with people close to our age and it would be fun. WRONG~! We are in our early 30's and our table mates were in their 80's~! Another couple was in their 50's and after seeing what they had for table mates they never came back again. I am very shy as well and left all the talking up to my husband. Glad to know we can atleast enjoy the MDR and perhaps sit alone.

Archived