Ketchikan Totum viewing question.

Chewysdad

There are three places listed as excursions for Totum viewing in Ketchikan; (1) Totum Bight State Park, (2) Totum Heritage Center, and (3) Saxman Native Village. I have found a few old comments both plus and minus for each excursion. I would appreciate your comments about these sites. Should I take an excursion or try to see them separately? Thanks!

There are three places listed as excursions for Totum viewing in Ketchikan; (1) Totum Bight State Park, (2) Totum Heritage Center, and (3) Saxman Native Village. I have found a few old comments both plus and minus for each excursion. I would appreciate your comments about these sites. Should I take an excursion or try to see them separately? Thanks!

You might want to ask this question on the Alaska board also...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I can only speak for the Totem Heritage Center. It is on the free shuttle circuit, right by the salmon hatchery. Entry fee was $5, I think. There is one totem pole outside, and large historic ones inside, mostly laying on sides. I wasn't much interested in totems, so it was enough for me. Got back on the shuttle and got off at the library/museum, and then walked to Creek Street. From there is was an easy walk back into the shopping area by the piers. EM

We walked to the Totem Heritage Center and took the free shuttle back. It was nice to see such old totems and get some information on interpreting them....also saw several totems on the walk to the Center in people's yards which was pretty cool.

For us, we saw enough totem poles there. However, I guess the question is...how many do you want to see? If it is a lot, I would recommend you go elsewhere....Totem Bight was the most recommended to us by locals, but, due to time constraints, we were unable to get there.

Take the city bus to Totem Bight State Park....it's very scenic, costs nothing to get in, and there are about 15 poles and a lodge house to see there.

Bus runs every hour so, if you are quick, can take one bus out and the next one back and still have plenty of time in town, and it's MUCH cheaper than the shore excursion that will cost you about $50 per person for basically the same thing.

We also enjoyed the ship's Saxman Native Village tour. Quite a few totems, a short film about the village, and later Tinglit native dancers put on a show. There was also the totem carving shed, and we watched a Tinglit master carver at work.

I did a tour for Totem Bight State Park I looked at this web site to give myself an idea of what was out there: http://www.northerntoursofalaska.com/ We did book with this group, BUT there are other groups that offer the same tour. Ours was $30 per person, but if you wait until you get to the pier there may be cheaper ways- as the others mentioned a city bus. (It was cheaper than the ships tour.) I heard a lot about Saxman too- I didn't have time to do both- I would've liked to have. I liked the guide we had for Totem, He gave his culture's perspective which is what I wanted- I'm a history teacher so i wanted that. Hope the link helps. You can also "Google' Ketchican totem poles and see what you get too. Enjoy whichever tour you decide to do.

We have been to all three of those places. They offer different experiences.

Totem Bight is a beautiful park overlooking the water with a trail that visits perhaps a dozen standing totems. A good guide will tell you the stories of many of them, introducing you to Beaver, Raven, Cloud Woman and all the other characters. You can also download a descriptive guide. There is a reconstructed longhouse at the site also.

The Totem Heritage center is essentially a museum with a carving shop below it. It has wonderful displays, but AIRC there is only one standing pole. It would be easy to visit on your own.

Saxman Native Village is more of a showplace. The only way to really do it is on a ship's tour as the dance show is normally reserved for them. It begins with a multi media historical presentation, then a nice walk through the woods to the magnificent longhouse where an outstanding dance presentation is given. Then you walk down the hill to the carving shed, and there are three or four standing totems there. And of course there is a gift shop!

My recommendation would be either the ship's tour that includes Totem Heritage and Totem Bight, or the ship's tour to Saxman Village. Both are worthwhile.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaskaexcursions.html#ketchikan

Have a GREAT cruise!

This was the only port we had no excursions planned, so we walked a block to the bus stop to go to totem bight. The senior fare is $.50 each way and on the return trip, we stayed on the bus to the stop at Creek Street for a little shopping and then walked back to the dock. Ketchikan was our favorite port, and the only one where it wasn't raining.

My recommendation would be either the ship's tour that includes Totem Heritage and Totem Bight, or the ship's tour to Saxman Village. Both are worthwhile.

!

Mike,

We were planning on doing both Totem Bight AND Saxman on our own ( exclude the dance). Is that doable between 10 am and 6 pm ? I am asking since you said "either ... or"

Thanks

Ketchikan is also a port where we have no excursions planned. I would like to see some nice totems, but do not have to see a lot. I will be with DD who has very little interest in these. I think she would prefer Creek Street. We also have very little time there, 7 - 12:30. I was thinking of going to Creek Street and taking the funicular up to see the totems at the top of the hill, near the lodge. Then taking Married Man's trail down. My knees can be tricky, so that one is dependent on how I feel that day. These boards have been very helpful in trying to decide what to do. Ketchikan will be our fourth busy day in a row, so I am kind of looking forward to just having a day to play it by ear and going where the winds might blow us.;)

Mike,

We were planning on doing both Totem Bight AND Saxman on our own ( exclude the dance). Is that doable between 10 am and 6 pm ? I am asking since you said "either ... or"

Thanks

Well, IMAO the big attraction at Saxman is the dance. Frankly, I wouldn't bother going there without it. Maybe you could do the Totem Heritage Center instead.

Frankly, this is a port where I think the ship's excursions are worth it.

But there is really no reason you can't take the city bus to Totem Bight, and still get back for a ship's excursion to Saxman (or vice versa).

Trying to cram two or three excursions into every port and see it all is becoming more and more popular. Honestly we seldom do it, preferring to do one thing and then relax on the ship.

Whichever you decide, Have a GREAT cruise!

Ketchikan is also a port where we have no excursions planned. I would like to see some nice totems, but do not have to see a lot. I will be with DD who has very little interest in these. I think she would prefer Creek Street. We also have very little time there, 7 - 12:30. I was thinking of going to Creek Street and taking the funicular up to see the totems at the top of the hill, near the lodge. Then taking Married Man's trail down. My knees can be tricky, so that one is dependent on how I feel that day. These boards have been very helpful in trying to decide what to do. Ketchikan will be our fourth busy day in a row, so I am kind of looking forward to just having a day to play it by ear and going where the winds might blow us.;)

There are numerous totems right in Ketchikan. Starting on the dock, north side toward the tunnel, there is the Eagle. Walk down Mission or parallel street, Whale Park has a totem, nice totem outside the mid entrance of Creek St. Pay the couple dollars, ride the funicular up to the Fox Lodge, walk out the back, several beautiful totems- take the Married Man's trail back down. :)

Mike,

Thanks

In my opinion, Saxman is best with a guide, so much of the area is well enhanced by the commentary. Whereas, Totem Bight, you can just print out the guide sheet and definately you do not need a tour at Totem Bight. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totempol.htm

Do I understand you take a funicular up to Creek Street (which isn't a street but a boardwalk) to shop and walk down the hill? Is Creek Street basically the downtown?

Take a look at a map. It is a funicular FROM Creek St, up to the Fox Lodge.

Archived