Denali Shuttles

pal4404

When you book a shuttle does it just go to the destination point and turn around so you can stay on the shuttle or does it go further than your destination and you have to get off and hail another shuttle leaving the park? Other than cost is there any other benefit to a shuttle than the TWT. My DH and I have and are seriously considering a tour into Denali but due to hip and back considerations are not sure it is a wise move and thus have not made a commitment. Unfortunately due to time limitations we will only be at the Princess Denali one afternoon. Welcome any input or suggestions to allow for an informed decision.

When you book a shuttle does it just go to the destination point and turn around so you can stay on the shuttle or does it go further than your destination and you have to get off and hail another shuttle leaving the park? Other than cost is there any other benefit to a shuttle than the TWT. My DH and I have and are seriously considering a tour into Denali but due to hip and back considerations are not sure it is a wise move and thus have not made a commitment. Unfortunately due to time limitations we will only be at the Princess Denali one afternoon. Welcome any input or suggestions to allow for an informed decision.

This is a marvelous tour. I assume the TWT is the one that goes deep into the Park? I was on this at this time last year I just am not sure of the name. THe Shuttle is really and old school bus but the seats are OK. There are a couple of stops planned on the route. There is one for a potty break about an hour into the trip. This is the best tour for seeing wildlife in Denali. We saw 11 grizzlies!! Believe it or not they are blonde there in the park. Gorgeous animals. Most of the wildlife has never seen humans and never been hunted so they really have no fear of man and don't necessarily run off when the bus goes by. We had a red fox with a rabbit in her mouth, run right alongside the bus for several hundred feet, then goe to her den where we saw the kits come out and eat the rabbit. Amazing stuff. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Oh, and we are in our early 60's.

Cheers, Kenn

This is a marvelous tour. I assume the TWT is the one that goes deep into the Park? I was on this at this time last year I just am not sure of the name. THe Shuttle is really and old school bus but the seats are OK. There are a couple of stops planned on the route. There is one for a potty break about an hour into the trip. This is the best tour for seeing wildlife in Denali. We saw 11 grizzlies!! Believe it or not they are blonde there in the park. Gorgeous animals. Most of the wildlife has never seen humans and never been hunted so they really have no fear of man and don't necessarily run off when the bus goes by. We had a red fox with a rabbit in her mouth, run right alongside the bus for several hundred feet, then goe to her den where we saw the kits come out and eat the rabbit. Amazing stuff. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Oh, and we are in our early 60's.

Cheers, Kenn

Thanks for the response. The TWT goes about 53 miles into the park. There are some that go further and one the NHT that only goes a short distance. We are 68 and are celebrating our 49th anniversary with this land tour cruise. Added the land portion as an afterthought and perhaps did not allow enough time for a quality visit. Am not interested in starting this vacation off with back issues due to a poor tour choice, so I was concerned about being on a bus for that lenght of time. Sounds like the seats on the tour may be more forgiving than those on the shuttle.

For clarification. I was just in Denali Park last month and the seats were upgraded on the shuttle buses. The Tour buses are, "old school" buses too. My opinion, but the TWT does NOT go "deep into the park", The shuttle buses do, as well as the Kantishna Tour bus.

TWT goes at least to mile 53. My min in is Eielson mile 66. After mid August, my distance in is always Wonder Lake mile 85.

All buses are point to point. They ALL return when they reach those destinations.

Are you on a cruisetour, or do you have your own transportation?? IF you aren't independent, they probably the Park Shuttle buses is not a good choice for you. The TWT will pick up at your lodge. (which I'm assuming you are staying at?)

The Kantishna Road House Bus goes all the way to Kantishna, stops for lunch and then goes back. I would recommend that tour because the drivers are really well versed on the park. The lanscape changes at least four times as you go into the park--I am so glad we did not miss that. We splurged and stayed at the Roadhouse two nights so that we did not have to make the return trip the same day. What a great experience!

Are you on a cruisetour, or do you have your own transportation?? IF you aren't independent, they probably the Park Shuttle buses is not a good choice for you. The TWT will pick up at your lodge. (which I'm assuming you are staying at?)

Not independent. Princess cruise. We planned a cruise to celebrate our 49th anniversary and added the land tour as an after thought. Thus will only be in the area for one afternoon. Might consider a flightseeing tour in lieu of either land tours.

WE did the shuttle to Wonder Lake which took us almost 12 hours the day we went. I found the seats comfortable, however my DH did not. He also has back issues and was a bit uncomfortable by the end of the day. However, he had no regrets.

Unfortunately due to time limitations we will only be at the Princess Denali one afternoon. quote]

Since your time is so restricted, the TWT is probably your only option. It might be difficult to get shuttle reservations at this late date.The TWT is one of the better options since it goes as far as Toklat, so if it works with your schedule, definitely DO IT ! You get 55 miles into the park, so your chances for wildlife sightings are very good, much higher than the History Tour where you don't even go 20 miles. Here's the link of the TNT from the Denali web site.

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/tours/tundra-wilderness.aspx

In answer to the question "When you book a shuttle does it just go to the destination point and turn around ?" .... YES. ie I booked the 8am shuttle to Eielson. It departed at 8am, stopped for 4 rest breaks (and numerous wildlife sightings), spent about 45 minutes at Eielson to eat lunch, look at exhibits and the view, returned around 5pm. You don't have to stay on the bus ... you can get off at any time and go for a hike or do whatever, then wait by the road for another bus to come along that has empty seats. Here's some info from the Denali web site's reservation center.

http://www.reservedenali.com/play/shuttle-buses.aspx

Yes, the shuttles are hop on and hop off but most people don't do any of that.

The last shuttles of the day do a sweep and make sure everyone who is standing on the road gets a ride out.

Take along your own snacks, sandwiches and plenty of drinking water. Long gone are the days when it was safe to drink from the water falls and rivers in Denali.

The Kantishna Road House Bus goes all the way to Kantishna, stops for lunch and then goes back. I would recommend that tour because the drivers are really well versed on the park. The lanscape changes at least four times as you go into the park--I am so glad we did not miss that. We splurged and stayed at the Roadhouse two nights so that we did not have to make the return trip the same day. What a great experience!

These drivers are no better/worse than the Denali Park shuttle/tour bus drivers. But, I never recommend Kantishna day tours. Essentially a very high priced lunch, and no time for any of the activities offered the overnight guests.

Not independent. Princess cruise. We planned a cruise to celebrate our 49th anniversary and added the land tour as an after thought. Thus will only be in the area for one afternoon. Might consider a flightseeing tour in lieu of either land tours.

What cruisetour are you on?? Have you asked about upgrading?

What cruisetour are you on?? Have you asked about upgrading?

I do not know what you mean by upgrading. We can take either the NHT or the TWT should we chose. My concern is with the lenght of time on the bus and effects it would have on my back and hips. Since the land portion is on the front end I certainly do not want the sea portion to be compromised.

pal4044, Your question is a valid one but the NHT is 4 hours and the TWT is closer to 7 hours. In my husband's situation, anything more than 30 minutes on roads like that is too much.

But he has been there plenty and has seen a great deal.

For a first time visitor (and maybe a 'once in a lifetime' visitor), only you can decide how much you can do.

None of the buses go fast. The seats have been improved and I would advise taking along your own cushion. You can use it on your flights as well.

If your medical situation is one where it is uncomfortable to sit still for long periods of time, that is a decision you will have to make. On either tour the bus you start out with is the one you come home on. On both tours there are port-a-pot stops and on the TWT there is a longer stop for the views and lunch.

. Thus will only be in the area for one afternoon.

The TWT is an 8 hour tour. "One afternoon" doesn't sound like enough time to enjoy either it, or a long shuttle ride into the park.

There are stops, tho not often, on the TWT, to stretch your legs and take pics. It is a terrific experience. The NHT is very short, could be done in "one afternoon" but may lack wildlife sightings and other aspects that a deeper journey would offer.

I take the buses (usually the shuttle) frequently. If you can sit on the train for the eight hour trip to the park, you can probably sit on the bus for the TWT. The road is graded frequently and is in better shape than the average Alaska paved road. Plus, you can always bring a cushion to support your back if you think it will be needed.

The TWT/shuttle is one of the best wildlife tours in the world. On the DNHT you will probably not see any wildlife other than maybe a moose. The difference between these two tours is night and day. The DNHT is a 1/2 hour bus ride into the park which they stretch out to 4 hours with stops, movies, and lectures. It is up to you what you want to do in the park, but just be aware what your choices are.

BTW, if your husband finds he can't tolerate the trip, your driver can flag down a returning bus or shuttle and transfer you.

The brand name of the cushion I was trying to recall is ThermaRest. They make stuff for backpackers and folks who just want a comfortable cushion.

Backpacking stores, outfitters like Cabella's and even some Walmart's have such things. Here is a sample link: http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google/thermarest?cm_mmc=ps_google_CH-_-Category%20-%20Sleeping%5FBags-_-Sleeping_Bags_Pads_Brand_ThermaRest-_-thermarest&mr:adGroup=1774602455&mr:ad=5743199885&mr:keyword=thermarest&mr:placement=&mr:match=e&mr:referralID=NA&gclid=CPaUzc-gzqICFQPJsgodRxWAxg

Archived