Cruise ship security bill passes

Orator

I have no knowledge of the bill but hope that it addresses one of the original issues that it was aimed at....crimes committed on cruise ships that in the past have been hushed up by the cruise lines or where there have been deliberate attempts to either not secure evidence or to discard or destroy it. Primarily crimes committed by cruise line employees but sometimes by passengers as well. Law enformcement agencies have been pushing for these changes because in many instances by the time the ship reaches its home port the cruise line ee has already been sent home or there is no evidence left to pursue other than conflicting statements. The cruise line industry spends millions of dollars on US lobbying so, like the OP implied, their lobby folks have probably made certain the teeth have been pulled from the bill.

Sorry, what does this mean? Can it be translated into English English, please?

Sue

Impossible !!! Remember, this is a bureaucracy-created bill for politicians !!! How could you possible expect it to be understandable in plain ''Joe'' English ....!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: (lol....)

Cheers

It looks like the regulations and exposure to liability under this Bill will ultimately be paid for the the end consumer in higher prices - like most regulations.

It is unfortunate that the Bill did not specify the width of the front openings in toilet seats. Although such a regulation would have become a partisan issue, I am sure it would have created many specialized jobs in the toilet seat industry.

It is unfortunate that the Bill did not specify the width of the front openings in toilet seats. Although such a regulation would have become a partisan issue, I am sure it would have created many specialized jobs in the toilet seat industry.

Uniform Plumbing Code Section 409.2.2 requires an open front seat: "All water closet seats, except those within dwelling units or for private use, shall be of the open front type."

The purpose of the open front is a subject of debate. Some say that it is so (the rest redacted)

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_seat

Subject: Re: Toilet seats in public places. Why is the opening in the front of the seat?

from

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=210555

Well, I hope it has its intended result- which is to make the industry safer and to make the cruise lines accountable for crimes that occur on the ships. However, I am not incredibly hopeful that this will be the outcome. Like everyone else has said, there is bound to be tons of "pork" hidden in the bill. I dread to see the prices go up as this fruitless bill goes into full effect. The true goal will be overlooked in time and the bits of the bill with asinine intent will be the ones that develop teeth.

So that when the husband "takes aim" and it's not really good, the wife doesn't have to sit on the results of that faulty aim. Because men will NOT raise the toilet seat (or if they do they neglect to put it back down.) :o

If that were the reason, then why would the opening almost always only appear in public rest rooms where (usually) they are separate? Ours at home do not have the opening:D.

I cannot believe this bill. I cannot believe that with all that needs to get done in Congress they somehow have the time to waste on one more governmental regulation.

Will they have to raise the rails on older cruise ships?:D Watch the fares rise as well. If a person wants to go over the rail of a cruise ship, or any other ship, they'll go over it no matter what the height is. Just stupid.

But mostly I'm just so relieved to see the overwhelming reaction on this thread. Gives me hope.

If the cruise industry has been successful in changing to the intended focus from crime and personal safety on board to toilet seats and railings then they will be very pleased.....the huge amounts of money spent in lobby efforts will have been very well spent. The other great fear of the cruise industry is legislation that impacts safe working conditions on board ships or any taxation that impacts the bottom line of the non US companies like Carnival Corp and RCI.

The House just passed the Cruise Ship Security Bill sending it to Obama for his signature. This bill will require cruise lines to report incidents aboard ships. Also requires rails to be no less than 42" and requires ships built after law goes into effect to be equipped with security latched and time sensitive key technology. Any comments?

I don't think Congress' action will effect cruise ships as most are registered outside the U.S. This is exactly why they register outside of the U.S. they are not subject to U.S. labor laws for example. So I think all the hoopla is moot.

The House just passed the Cruise Ship Security Bill sending it to Obama for his signature. This bill will require cruise lines to report incidents aboard ships. Also requires rails to be no less than 42" and requires ships built after law goes into effect to be equipped with security latched and time sensitive key technology. Any comments?

Most cruise ships are registered outside the U.S. and are not subject to American law. That's why they register in places like Panama, Libya etc.

Then why do we all have to follow US Coast Guard regulations outside US waters? I am sorry, I have many American friends and really like you as people but your regulators appear to believe they can meddle in the lives of the rest of the world. Yesterday I was listening to a radio interview about the US authorities requiring the right to trawl all EU bank accounts because the EU governments could not be trusted not to have been infiltrated by the "Muslim Brotherhood". As things are going, we should all be given the right to vote in your elections.

Oh, yes, hope you all had a wonderful Independence Day.

Sue

I have no knowledge of the bill but hope that it addresses one of the original issues that it was aimed at....crimes committed on cruise ships that in the past have been hushed up by the cruise lines or where there have been deliberate attempts to either not secure evidence or to discard or destroy it. Primarily crimes committed by cruise line employees but sometimes by passengers as well. Law enformcement agencies have been pushing for these changes because in many instances by the time the ship reaches its home port the cruise line ee has already been sent home or there is no evidence left to pursue other than conflicting statements. The cruise line industry spends millions of dollars on US lobbying so, like the OP implied, their lobby folks have probably made certain the teeth have been pulled from the bill.

Ditto. You may find more information about the bill here.

http://www.internationalcruisevictims.org/

Most cruise ships are registered outside the U.S. and are not subject to American law. That's why they register in places like Panama, Libya etc.

Actually, they register outside of the US because of the Jones Act....I'm sure these laws were passed under some statute or US Title where they can have jurisdiction...

I don't mind certain things such as reporting crimes or maintaining crimes scenes but as everything that Congress does there is always something just plain stupid in it....

Politicians have been unable to fix the crime situation in their own country, so they are going to meddle in the cruise industry which has a much lower crime rate than any city in the US.

And as for those who want to think the cruise industry is trying to hide the crime rate of their ships. Look up the beheading incident at Virginia Tech 2009. Why did the media not do more to cover this incident at a university where there was mass murder just 2 years earlier. The media decided what is worthy. With the blogs out there and the ability to find out information we can find the stories. The media just decides what to blow out of porportion.

Just another case of people who have never been in business trying to how businesses how to run. Everything these days seems to be about the lawyers in the end. Oh wait!!!That's because the lawyers are in charge. Need to help the brotherhood.

Just another case of people who have never been in business trying to how businesses how to run. Everything these days seems to be about the lawyers in the end. Oh wait!!!That's because the lawyers are in charge. Need to help the brotherhood.

As Shakespeare said: “the first thing we do, is kill all the lawyers” :D

Politicians have been unable to fix the crime situation in their own country, so they are going to meddle in the cruise industry which has a much lower crime rate than any city in the US.

And as for those who want to think the cruise industry is trying to hide the crime rate of their ships. Look up the beheading incident at Virginia Tech 2009. Why did the media not do more to cover this incident at a university where there was mass murder just 2 years earlier. The media decided what is worthy. With the blogs out there and the ability to find out information we can find the stories. The media just decides what to blow out of porportion.

Rick:

Don't even get me started on schools and their coverups. I worked Juvenile for many years and saw schools try to cover up sexual assaults and shootings on school grounds.

Look up the beheading incident at Virginia Tech 2009. Why did the media not do more to cover this incident at a university where there was mass murder just 2 years earlier. The media decided what is worthy. With the blogs out there and the ability to find out information we can find the stories. The media just decides what to blow out of porportion.

Very sad story, however it happened a few days after the presidential inauguration. Unfortunately stories like that get lost after a major media event like an inauguration.

Rick:

Don't even get me started on schools and their coverups. I worked Juvenile for many years and saw schools try to cover up sexual assaults and shootings on school grounds.

Ditto..... I worked Juvenile for 10 years...

Kevin

Archived