Annoyed by Babysitting Policies - Costa and MSC

Seraphine

We have only cruised Carnival so far and I guess we're spoiled, but I am so annoyed by some of the other ships policies about babysitting.

We were looking into some different itineraries for Europe/Middle East (we live in Europe, so the Italian/Spanish ports aren't really what we were looking for) for November 2010 as we really didn't want to have to factor in long haul flights to North America. We saw some Costa and MSC cruises that had what we were looking for.

Costa said on their website that they had no babysitting for children under 3 (we have a one year old, as well as a 5 year old). Our TA asked the cruiseline for us, and they said we were welcome to "ask the kids club" once we were on board to see if anyone was interested in doing in-room babysitting, but there was no policy about this. I called MSC today and received a similar answer. Both companies insist that it's done on an individual basis and is not under policy.

I am not comfortable with this, and will not be choosing either line. We aren't wanting a lot of babysitting, but a few nights out during an 11 day cruise isn't excessive when the children would be with us most of the day. We won't be leaving it to chance that it won't be available. Plus, if the private babysitting arrangements are not "policy", what would the cruiseline's position be if anything went wrong? (injury, theft, etc) :eek:

I'm going to have to keep looking :(

I think all cruiseline babysitting service is between you and the sitter...some lines offer it "when available"....

RCI offers sitting for 1 year and up....but again, it's IF someone is willing....you will pay cash to the sitter....that won't go on your account.

I've only had experience with Carnival, which has infant (under 2's) babysitting after 10pm at the Kids Club, so I've not used any in-cabin babysitting services before. I guess I'm just surprised at the whole "work it out when you get here" attitude... if a cruiseline says it has no sitters, why would I book a cruise with them if I require sitting during my holiday? Do you just go up to a staff member at the kids clubs and ask? Again, I'd be very concerned about liabilities if this was done "off account".

We'd go with RCI this time if the itineraries interested us, but so far nothing is jumping out. We've got a cruise booked for next year (Disney), but wanted something for this year as well. Oh well.

I guess it just surprised me - do the target markets for these two lines not require babysitting? Do they leave their kids at home, or do they just party with the kids there?

I guess it just surprised me - do the target markets for these two lines not require babysitting?

That's exactly it. They realize the more amenities they offer for families with young children, the more such families they will attract, perhaps to the detriment (in their eyes) of their other cruisers.

Some lines court families with young children. Others tolerate them. A few try to discourage them. I think you now know where these two lines stand in that regard.

That's exactly it. They realize the more amenities they offer for families with young children, the more such families they will attract, perhaps to the detriment (in their eyes) of their other cruisers.

Some lines court families with young children. Others tolerate them. A few try to discourage them. I think you now know where these two lines stand in that regard.

This is the bizarre thing... MSC often has "kids sail free" options, and the Costa rates for kids were very reasonable. I guess they just mean "older children". No babies here, thank-you-very-much.

The Costa rep told my TA, "perhaps your clients should try a more family-friendly line, like Cunard". That made me laugh!

This is the bizarre thing... MSC often has "kids sail free" options, and the Costa rates for kids were very reasonable. I guess they just mean "older children". No babies here, thank-you-very-much.

The Costa rep told my TA, "perhaps your clients should try a more family-friendly line, like Cunard". That made me laugh!

You know, Cunard is actually one of the few lines that offers group childcare for under-2s. Perhaps that's why they suggested it.

We have only cruised Carnival so far and I guess we're spoiled, but I am so annoyed by some of the other ships policies about babysitting.

We were looking into some different itineraries for Europe/Middle East (we live in Europe, so the Italian/Spanish ports aren't really what we were looking for) for November 2010 as we really didn't want to have to factor in long haul flights to North America. We saw some Costa and MSC cruises that had what we were looking for.

Costa said on their website that they had no babysitting for children under 3 (we have a one year old, as well as a 5 year old). Our TA asked the cruiseline for us, and they said we were welcome to "ask the kids club" once we were on board to see if anyone was interested in doing in-room babysitting, but there was no policy about this. I called MSC today and received a similar answer. Both companies insist that it's done on an individual basis and is not under policy.

I am not comfortable with this, and will not be choosing either line. We aren't wanting a lot of babysitting, but a few nights out during an 11 day cruise isn't excessive when the children would be with us most of the day. We won't be leaving it to chance that it won't be available. Plus, if the private babysitting arrangements are not "policy", what would the cruiseline's position be if anything went wrong? (injury, theft, etc) :eek:

This is why there are several different cruise lines. Because many different people value certain products and services differently, and one cruise line cannot be all things to all people.

I am guessing that cruise lines are reluctant to take any responsibility for children so young. Even most of the ones that have some babysitting arrangement have you deal directly with the sitter. Just as I would not have left my son with a person he or we did not know at home when he was an infant, I would not and did not do that on a ship either - our choice as parents. Certainly, there is more of a chance that issues will arise taking care of an infant who cannot speak that there is of taking care of a child who can provide some verbal clues as to the quality of their care. I think this is one issue the cruise lines do not want to become involved in and I don't blame them.

Why should every cruise line cater to families? There are many that do. But why criticize the ones that don't? There are cruise lines that cater to families, there are those that accomodate families and there are those that discourage families. Different strokes for different folks. Why should those cruise lines that offer lower fares for 3/4th in the cabin or special kids rates not expect you to take care of your kids 24/7? They are giving you a break on the fare, but the trade off is that you need to take care of your kids all the time. You need to decide if it is worth if to you.

Seraphine,

You will find that most mass market cruise lines have the same official and unofficial policies.

Why do they do it this way?

There have been so many "incidents", and "alleged incidents" with child care that led to very expensive lawsuits that the cruise lines are no longer willing to take the risk with very young children.

Additionally, the US Public Health Service is very adamant about ship's crew not changing diapers. While they do not absolutely forbid it, they do claim that the chances of Norwalk contamination grow exponentially when ship's crew are changing diapers and then interacting with hundreds or thousands of passengers.

If I contract Norwalk on a cruise and then find out that I may have gotten it from the front desk girl volunteering to change your child's diapers, I have a good basis for a lawsuit. But if the girl volunteered on her own time and the cruise line was not officially involved, I can't successfully sue the cruise line, and probably won't try to sue her personally.

As usual, it's all about the money.

Thanks for your insights everyone.

I never thought about the unofficial policies being so widespread. I don't want to come off as some entitled parent throwing my weight around - I really try to play by the rules and keep my children from infringing on anyone else's space.

I'll find a good fit for our family somehow... I'm sure there's an option that will work for us somewhere :)

Archived