Just Back...

jeff33436

• 2 weeks later...

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I am asking anyway. We are going on Carnival Miracle and I am asking about how far it is to the pier shops from where the ship would dock?

My DH just had knee surgery last week and he should be fairly recovered by Oct when we go on Miracle, but I am not sure he will be. I know we might not be able to get to Jack's with his knee, but at least we can get to Margaritaville if it's not a long walk on the pier. If it is a long walk, is there a shuttle or anything to take him? I know at some other piers there are shuttles, but I have no clue about Grand Turk as we haven't ever been there.

Also, is there snorkeling from the beach by Margaritaville? Thanks so much.

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I am asking anyway. We are going on Carnival Miracle and I am asking about how far it is to the pier shops from where the ship would dock?

My DH just had knee surgery last week and he should be fairly recovered by Oct when we go on Miracle, but I am not sure he will be. I know we might not be able to get to Jack's with his knee, but at least we can get to Margaritaville if it's not a long walk on the pier. If it is a long walk, is there a shuttle or anything to take him? I know at some other piers there are shuttles, but I have no clue about Grand Turk as we haven't ever been there.

Also, is there snorkeling from the beach by Margaritaville? Thanks so much.[/quote

The pier didn't seem to be any longer than any we've been to before. Grand Turk may be a little closer because of the wall (drop off) being so close to shore. The cruise terminal shops are right at the end of the pier where the ships dock. Once you get into the shopping area, Margaritaville is a short walk (on pavement) to the left. I've attached a picture from our ship (we were there in May) of the pier as we were leaving Grand Turk. Hopefully it will give you some idea of how long the pier is. Hope this helps and I hope you have a great time in Grand Turk (one of my all time favorites).

100_7509.jpg

The pier didn't seem to be any longer than any we've been to before. Grand Turk may be a little closer because of the wall (drop off) being so close to shore. The cruise terminal shops are right at the end of the pier where the ships dock. Once you get into the shopping area, Margaritaville is a short walk (on pavement) to the left. I've attached a picture from our ship (we were there in May) of the pier as we were leaving Grand Turk. Hopefully it will give you some idea of how long the pier is. Hope this helps and I hope you have a great time in Grand Turk (one of my all time favorites).

100_7509.jpg

Thanks so much for the info. It looks like it's a kind of long walk, but I am hoping he will be able to make it. I know we will enjoy Grand Turk.

Katie, keep in mind this beautiful photo is taken from the ship as the ship had pulled away from the pier. Look at the blue squares on the pier near the water. That would be where the ship is docked and tied up. They had 2 gangways open on our June cruise. It is not a short walk in the heat and sunshine, but it's not too bad. Our guys were carrying Scuba Gear and they made it with just one stop for a Photo OP.

No real need for a shuttle but you may consider renting a Transfer wheelchair for your cruise to assure he can get from one place to another on board or at port.

Katie, keep in mind this beautiful photo is taken from the ship as the ship had pulled away from the pier. Look at the blue squares on the pier near the water. That would be where the ship is docked and tied up. They had 2 gangways open on our June cruise. It is not a short walk in the heat and sunshine, but it's not too bad. Our guys were carrying Scuba Gear and they made it with just one stop for a Photo OP.

No real need for a shuttle but you may consider renting a Transfer wheelchair for your cruise to assure he can get from one place to another on board or at port.

Thanks for your help. I am hoping that by the time we go he will be fine with his knee. He had a total knee replacement and the doctor said the recovery time is at least two months and i will be two months from the surgery when we go. He is thinking about bringing the sit down walker he used for the last few months while waiting for the surgery. I'm sure he will be fine.

Thanks again, it sure looks beautiful there.

Can you rent snorkel equipment from Jack's and how much was it? Can you post any pictures from Jack's and underwater snorkeling?

Thanks,

Cat

I would google them for that info. We are taking our own snorkel and mask, they are very inexpensive at Dicks Sporting good and of good quality.

Is there a dive shop at Jacks that will take you out to the wall to snorkel? I'm a very strong swimmer, but it sounds like its quite a ways out. My husband is not a very strong swimmer and I would like for him to see the wall too!

We found Dive and Snorkel shops by ging to the tourist info for the Island. There are quite a few. Also her on boards go to the Port and read the reviews of the island.

Is there a dive shop at Jacks that will take you out to the wall to snorkel? I'm a very strong swimmer, but it sounds like its quite a ways out. My husband is not a very strong swimmer and I would like for him to see the wall too!

yes

• 2 weeks later...

Also, is there snorkeling from the beach by Margaritaville? Thanks so much.

Here's another picture, taken from the bow of the ship, showing how long the pier walk is. It's not *really* far, but if you'd recently had knee surgery, coupled with the fact that it's very HOT there, the walk might be too much. Perhaps you can get a wheelchair, if he's not up to it.

2088976049_GrandTurk.jpg.c1430265da70a6b7beb8f5b036110688.jpg

The sand on the beach was like fine white powder. No rocks at all. So, no water shoes needed. In the water, there were the rock formations, but they were smooth. Beyond those rocks, the sand was again powdery and easy to walk on.

Read and heed! Learn from the pain I experienced! Wear water shoes! I was swimming and decided to stand up. Talk about reverse Darwinism! The very place I chose to put down my big clodhopper was right atop a black sea urchin! OUCH! I had to hobble back to the ship and spend some time picking the spines out of the bottom of my poor foot. :eek:

The dive shop is Oasis Divers. Oasis Divers is contracted with the cruise ships to do their water bourn excursions.

That means they have a "contract with the Cruise LIne" and can't take us out unless it is through an excursion on the cruise ship.

Archived