Currency - Are US dollars accepted througout the Caribbean?

I am on Oasis in August with ports of call as follows:

St Maarten

St Thomas

Nassau

Labadee

Costa Maya

Cozumel

We will only be making minor purchases such as food and souvenirs and I will also be carrying credit cards.

Do I need to take any currency other than US dollars? Are dollars OK in Mexico or do I need Pesos?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Andrew.

St Maarten

St Thomas

Nassau

Labadee

Costa Maya

Cozumel

We will only be making minor purchases such as food and souvenirs and I will also be carrying credit cards.

Do I need to take any currency other than US dollars? Are dollars OK in Mexico or do I need Pesos?

Thanks.

Andrew.

Not sure about the Mexican ports but the first three ports will, you can opt to have your change back in US as well. And Labadee I have read of people using the US dollar.

St Maarten

St Thomas

Nassau

Labadee

Costa Maya

Cozumel

Thanks.

Andrew.

they will ALL HAPPILY take your US dollars. not an issue in any of those. Some places may have it marked in both currencies.

Some places may try to give you change in their dollars and if you use a credit card in shops in a lot of places you may get charged in local currency even though the item is marked in US Dollars.The shop owner will let you know this.

:cj

As long as you don't try to buy a $3 item with a $100 bill, you'll get back American dollars as change....just try to have as close to the purchase price as you can.

ALL of those ports take U.S. dollars.

I've gotten change back in Mexican pesos even when giving them $3.00 in US dollars. It's never that much...just carry lots of $1 bills with you. When we used a credit card out of the country it was charged in their currency and the bank charged us a currency exchange rate of about $2 - $3 per transaction. Of course, if it's Puerto Rico or St. Thomas they're US territories and you won't have a problem with your money AND we also used our cell phone there without having to pay international calling charges.

As long as you don't try to buy a $3 item with a $100 bill, you'll get back American dollars as change....just try to have as close to the purchase price as you can.

ALL of those ports take U.S. dollars.

Maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on the shop, especially if you're beyond the main tourist area of the location.

Many thanks for your answers which are very helpful.

It seems I will be fine just taking dollars :)

Yes, take lots of small bills. Also when I used a credit card in Mexico, the transaction was charged in the local currency and I was also charged a foreign transaction fee. Better to just use cash if you can.

They really like dollars in all those places. In Labadee, the only thing you'll need cash for is the straw market. Some people tips the guys who move the beach chairs, but you are not required to pay for beach chairs. If you do an excursion in Labadee, that will be booked through RC and you won't need cash. We did a fishing trip in Cozumel and the guys gladly took our $US! :)

Hi,

If your on the French side of St. Martin they will except Euro's as well as US$'s.

We have never had a problem using US$'s in any of our ports of call. We take small bills so that we won't get back much in the local currency. I think most of the banks these days charge a 3% fee.

Also, it's a good idea to let your credit card company know that you will be cruising & to where. This way if you should charge a purchase it won't be rejected.

Have a Wonderful cruise.

Joyce & Of Course Harvey

Archived