Woolite

ColumbiaSC

For many years I have never failed to travel for an extensive period of time without a bottle of Woolite, which effectively cleans and cares for hand-washed "smalls" and won't cause shrinking, stretching or color fading. Last year, upon arrival at the Waldorf before departure on the QM2, I discovered a note in my checked luggage saying the unopened bottle of Woolite had been removed by Airport Security. Left in the luggage was hydrogen peroxide and liquor. Does anyone know why Woolite would be a no-no on a airplane flight in checked luggage?

I found no similar substitute for Woolite for sale on the QM2. Before the 2011 World Voyage on the QM2, I'll be sure to get off in Fort Lauderdale and so some shopping! But I am still puzzled over the confiscation of the bottle of Woolite.

For many years I have never failed to travel for an extensive period of time without a bottle of Woolite, which effectively cleans and cares for hand-washed "smalls" and won't cause shrinking, stretching or color fading. Last year, upon arrival at the Waldorf before departure on the QM2, I discovered a note in my checked luggage saying the unopened bottle of Woolite had been removed by Airport Security. Left in the luggage was hydrogen peroxide and liquor. Does anyone know why Woolite would be a no-no on a airplane flight in checked luggage?

I found no similar substitute for Woolite for sale on the QM2. Before the 2011 World Voyage on the QM2, I'll be sure to get off in Fort Lauderdale and so some shopping! But I am still puzzled over the confiscation of the bottle of Woolite. [/quote

I've used the liquid body soap (Gilchrist & Soames Shower Gel, very tiny amount) that Cunard provides in stateroom for hand washing small garments in cold water. Not a bad substitute in a pinch. Suggestion: if you're washing silk, put a cap full of white vinegar in the rinse water to remove any residual soap. (Kings Court salad bar has white vinegar).

Why Woolite would be a security risk, I have no idea. Seems the world has gone mad, but we will still find a way to keep our smalls clean :D

Cheers,

Salacia

I always buy a tube of the gentle soap for sale in the QM2 shop every time I travel on her. I use it for all washing, including delicates, and it is very satisfactory. It is inexpensive, very easy to use just a bit, and leaves everything just fine. :)

B.

Someone turned me on to these and if you are only washing out 'smalls' I don't think you will have any problems. I also think they are better for the ship's waste water as they are less sudsy. You can probably find them online for less. http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=13749&fromNewSearch=true&mercadoResultId=0

Coming from the other Columbia (Maryland), I certainly second that sentiment. In fact it's the only way I've gotten to or from a Cunard ship in NYC. The vacation never ends until am back home (oops, except for the time I crossed to SH and had to fly home).

Archived