Radiance Alaska - Food for Excursions

Just wondering if it is possible to pack lunches in the morning so we have food for the day when we do excursions. Does the ship care what food we take off the ship?

Good question. I am curious about the same thing, but am interested in packing some snacks.

While the ship does not care, the place where you are visiting likely does. Most ports will not permit you to bring anything other than prepackaged food (think cereal boxes, protein bars and the like) ashore. There is usually a warning to this effect in the Compass that food is not permitted to be taken off the ship. Some ports are more strict than others (employing sniffing dogs and levying fines) and a few won't even permit prepackaged items. Not sure about Alaska, but don't even think about bringing anything into Hawaii. Even flying in, we've had bags checked.

The ports care. It's illegal to take anything other than prepackaged foods (like granola bars, etc.) off of the ship in virtually all ports, both overseas and in the US. Depending on the port, any fresh food may be confiscated and in some cases the passenger could end up paying a substantial fine.

My understanding is that you can not take any ship food, from the ship, to the shore.

At one port we were not allowed outside on the deck, with any food from the Wind Jammer, until we had left port.

While the ports "may care", on a cruise like this most if not all of the food was boarded in the U.S and I highly doubt you will have an issue taking off a banana or sandwich.

While the ports "may care", on a cruise like this most if not all of the food was boarded in the U.S and I highly doubt you will have an issue taking off a banana or sandwich.

On the Radiance Alaska itineraries, most of the food is boarded in Vancouver, which I believe is still part of Canada. Although the OP may not be subjected to a search upon leaving the ship in a US port, the rules are posted on the CBP website:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/arriving_travelers.xml

"We regret that it is necessary to take agricultural items from your baggage. They cannot be brought into the United States because they may carry animal and plant pests and diseases. Restricted items include meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, soil, and products made from animal or plant materials."

And here's another one from the Canadian side:

http://consumerinformation.ca/app/oca/ccig/consumerChallenge.do?consumerChallengeNo=521&language=eng

So sticking to packaged foods is the best ay to make sure that you're complying with the rules.

Been there, done that on the Radiance. Nobody searching back packs for fruit in Alaska. Must have missed them when I got off. ;) Agriculture in AK isn't quite as large an industry as in CA or HI.

We didn't take ship food onto land, but did have some nuts & crackers & the like in the backpack-the Denali tour is 8+ hours on a bus & what is available is frankly not up to the quality of food you'll have everywhere else. I saw folks (especially with kids) with all kinds of chips & stuff on the buses. We never had a problem, but I don't think the "security" was really valid-after passing through one day I realized that I had things in my pockets that should have triggered the detector & didn't!

You most definitely will and anyone who lives in Florida or California can tell you why. The ship's daily Cruise Compass will tell you that taking food, including fruit or sandwiches, off of the ship in any of the ports is not allowed and the minimum thing that will happen if you are caught doing so is that it will be confiscated. You could also be subject to a fine imposed by the local authorities. There is certainly no need to take any food items (other than pre-packaged foods) off the ship in any ports that the Radiance visits in Alaska or in Vancouver. There are stores in every port if you need a snack and restaurants galore if you need something more substantial to eat while you are ashore.:)

You most definitely will and anyone who lives in Florida or California can tell you why. The ship's daily Cruise Compass will tell you that taking food, including fruit or sandwiches, off of the ship in any of the ports is not allowed and the minimum thing that will happen if you are caught doing so is that it will be confiscated. You could also be subject to a fine imposed by the local authorities. There is certainly no need to take any food items (other than pre-packaged foods) off the ship in any ports that the Radiance visits in Alaska or in Vancouver. There are stores in every port if you need a snack and restaurants galore if you need something more substantial to eat while you are ashore.:)

You are correct. On several cruises they have a large waste can for you to dump your "no-no's" before you go through ship's security to get off. The fine is STEEP if you are caught.

I always grab several of the little boxed cereals from the 'Jammer if we are going on an excursion longer than 4 hours. Then, we deal with food wherever the excursion takes us, but usually just wait until we are back on board the ship.

Just wondering if it is possible to pack lunches in the morning so we have food for the day when we do excursions. Does the ship care what food we take off the ship?

Did the same cruise last year and we weren't allowed to take food and drinks off the ship. Maybe it's not the ship's policy so much, but the ports you visit.

Cindy

Archived