A few Questions about WindSurf

ducklite

We're a bit off from our cruise, but the obsessive compulsive planner in me is already at work.

My husband and I like to enjoy a glass of Champagne before dinner in our cabin. Will we be able to carry a few bottles on, and will they supply appropriate stemware?

Do the iPod docking stations charge the iPod as well as allow you to listen to it? I'd like to bring my Nano along and am hoping I can keep it charged in the docking station so I can use it on the (ugh) 14 hour flight home.

Is there a drying line (clothesline) in the bathroom to hang wet bathing suits or any hand washable items to drip dry?

What toiletries do they supply specifically? (Soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, Q-Tips, etc.) We booked the lowest category cabin if that makes a difference.

Will we feel "shunned" for not booking a more expensive cabin? Will we be relegated to the leftovers as far as dining room seating and such?

How is the kitchen and waitstaff in accomodating special dining requests/needs due to food allergies or just simply foods that one doesn't care for? Is there always an option to get a piece of grilled chicken or something along those lines?

If I want to have just tea service delivered to our cabin early in the morning, and then breakfast in the dining room or on deck, is that allowed? I don't function well until I've had some tea.

A crazy question--is there skim milk available onboard?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Well, I think I can answer some of your questions.

Yes, you can bring on some wine - and they will supply whatever you need.

Yes, I believe the docking stations do charge.

There is a drying line in the shower - or there has always been one in my cabin.

Toilettries are L'Occitaine - Verbena scent. Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and lotion. They supply "q-tips" but I bring my own because I don't like theirs.

There are only two types of cabins - suites and regular. Everyone is treated the same. Dining is whenver you want with whomever you want.

Special requests are no problem. Just let them know.

You can order room service but continental breakfast is on deck from 6:30 and the veranda is open for breakfast. It's very nice to go out for that first cup of tea or coffee - and it's not that far from the cabins.

SKim milk yes, but for some reason my husband doesn't like theirs.

Windstar is my favorite cruise line!

Renee

Many thanks Renee!

I'm not really ready to face anyone--even my husband--until I have that first cup of tea. I have an electric tea brewer at home with a built in clock so it's fresh brewed and waiting for me every morning as soon as I roll out of bed. :-)

One other question, dressing for dinner. Do most men wear chinos and polos, or is it more like dress slacks and buton down's? For women, would I be OK in capris and a cute top, or would a skirt and blouse be more appropriate? I guess I'm asking if people wear dressy casual, or true smart casual.

I'm assuming that breakfast and lunch are casual, and shorts are OK at those meals?

Well, I think I can answer some of your questions.

There are only two types of cabins - suites and regular. Everyone is treated the same. Dining is whenver you want with whomever you want.

Special requests are no problem. Just let them know.

Renee

On Wind Surf at least, there are 2 categories of cabins besides suites. The lowest price cabins are on the lowest deck, but otherwise Category A and B cabins are the same. The lower cabins are close to the water and on my transatlantic a wave would occasionally wash over my porthole. Also, there are waterproof doors that will close when the ship is entering or leaving port, so to get to your cabin you need to use the correct stairway for your location. It's not a problem but it gave me a few tense moments at the lifeboat drill.

Regardless of your category everyone is treated like royalty. You will love Windstar.

One other question, dressing for dinner. Do most men wear chinos and polos, or is it more like dress slacks and buton down's? For women, would I be OK in capris and a cute top, or would a skirt and blouse be more appropriate? I guess I'm asking if people wear dressy casual, or true smart casual.

I'm assuming that breakfast and lunch are casual, and shorts are OK at those meals?

Shorts are fine for breakfast and lunch.

You will find both button down shirts and polos on men, dress slacks (especially linen and silk) and docker style pants at night on men. I have seen lots of skirts/dresses on women. There usually are some capris and very nice tops, and lots of jewelry. There's an older post here somewhere, where the poster wished she had brought a little bit nicer attire for the evening.

For example, my standard evening clothing for Windstar is a crinkle silk skirt (longer) and maybe a silk shell and silk cardigan with some jewelry. Or, linen pants/capris, silk shirt and a wrap.

This is very helpful--thanks! I'm not a "jewelry" person, but I've got some pretty (space saving) scarves I can dress my outfits up with. My husband is a chinos and polo guy, so he'll be in good shape.

I agree, you'll be fine in capris and a top. I find people dress a little more on the European cruises but there is a wide range and casual is definitely casual.

And I agree with rafinmd that the decks are different with B category cabins closer to the water and lower - but in terms of the space they are idenitical and everyone is treated the same. I also prefer mid ship to forward as it is a little quieter and less rocky.

I've been on 20 WIndstar cruises and they are all my favorites!

Renee

Ducklite,

Looks like most of your questions were answered, but I'll add my two cents:

there are Bose ipod docks in each stateroom and they do charge the device.

there is a clothesline in the shower, but because of the close space things take a while to dry.

Toiletries are the same in all cabins.Windstar has upgraded them in the last year or so.

No one knows which cabin you;re in. All are treated equally in each restaurant. the crew will happily wait on you no matter which cabin you're in. No hierarchy.

we ate with someone who cannot have gluten. The waitstaff accommodated his needs. No issues if you let them know.

You can order room service the night before and have anything you want delivered at whatever time you specify. there's also an early morning breakfast (about an hour before the dining room opens) that has coffee, tea fruit and pastries.

there is both skim milk and soy milk available

Andy

Send your husband to Tommy Bahamas and he will be in fine shape for everything on the cruise.

My quick tip: Buy the laundry package - unlimited washing and ironing for the week for $99 dollars. You can pack a lot less and enjoy the trip. We packed our suitcases at the end of the trip with clean cloths and didn't have a mountain of laundry when we got home.

Hello, just surfing thru Windstar posts and I really miss the Windsurf. We did our last one for 2 weeks over the Christmas holiday 2007. It was just after the take over by the new company and we were very unhappy with the changes. The crew that stayed were wonderful, but they knew the quality of everything had declined. Please respond with your last sailing date and opinion...No other can compare to the old Windstar and we have tried many.

We cruised on Windstar before it belonged to Holland America, during Holland America, during the transition away from Holland America and this past February. During the transition it was indeed a little iffy as to what was going to happen. We switched to Azamara in 2009 for a few cruises because they had different itineraries and our travel agent was recommending not to do Windstar. We went back in February because we got a great deal and kind of missed the sailing experience. We had a fantastic time and found that it was pretty much the same Windstar. Most of the crew was the same and was much happier now that the uncertainty of where the cruise line was going has been resolved. We came home, cancelled our Azamara cruise for next summer and booked two more Windstar cruises. It is still my favorite cruise line.

We cruised on Windstar before it belonged to Holland America, during Holland America, during the transition away from Holland America and this past February. During the transition it was indeed a little iffy as to what was going to happen. We switched to Azamara in 2009 for a few cruises because they had different itineraries and our travel agent was recommending not to do Windstar. We went back in February because we got a great deal and kind of missed the sailing experience. We had a fantastic time and found that it was pretty much the same Windstar. Most of the crew was the same and was much happier now that the uncertainty of where the cruise line was going has been resolved. It is still my favorite cruise line.

I have cruised under the three different owners also, and would have to agree with you, not travelerpair. IMO, overall the quality has gone up, not down. I don't like the Windsurf, but love the smaller ships. My last cruise was on the Windstar Athens-Venice last July. A great cruise.

And how would it be for a solo? (mid 40's) I can't believe you have been on 20!! Wow, how lucky!

I agree, you'll be fine in capris and a top. I find people dress a little more on the European cruises but there is a wide range and casual is definitely casual.

And I agree with rafinmd that the decks are different with B category cabins closer to the water and lower - but in terms of the space they are idenitical and everyone is treated the same. I also prefer mid ship to forward as it is a little quieter and less rocky.

I've been on 20 WIndstar cruises and they are all my favorites!

Renee

And how would it be for a solo? (mid 40's) I can't believe you have been on 20!! Wow, how lucky!

I've cruised solo about 6 times and one of those solo cruises was on Windstar -Athens to Istanbul. Some of the people were much friendlier or open to conversaton and all were more polite than passengers on larger ships that I've been on. Perhaps it's because some people who choose tiny ships without many entertainment options or even places to go expect to engage in human conversation. And the waitors and bartenders are very pleasant and friendly even if you are alone. There were very few solo passengers so social interaction is up to you. You may meet more people to talk to if you go on the ship's excursions. Everybody is in a good mood at the ship's barbeque. I'm going solo on Windsurf in September; I'll see if the feel for solo travlers is different on the larger ship.

I agree that there is more social interaction on Windstar than other cruise lines. I know that even though I'm not traveling solo I interact with many more people than on other cruises. The Windsurf is a little harder - those 150 extra people make a big difference - but people are friendly and wanting to engage with others.

Go to the lounge before dinner. You will likely get the opportunity to talk with people who are open to being social. Sometimes people will suggest you join them for dinner. If an invite doesn't come, wait a bit until most of the people have gone to be seated. When you go in to the dining room the staff will ask if you want to sit by yourself or be placed at a table with other people. If you say you would welcome sitting with others then they will seat you with people who have already indicated to them that they are open to having company for dinner.

I'll chirp in too...I've done Windstar with friends..with 85 year old mother..and alone...and they all work..I agree about Wind Spirit and Wind star being more fun than the larger Wind Surf..in my 5 cruises..the folks onboard have been mostly fun and interesting. Many repeat cruisers. The coolest thing when you board is to see a familar crewmember remember you! Have fun...:cool:

I'm an early riser and my wife is not. With the cabins being what they are I'm always worried about waking her up. I've found the ship to be quite empty early in the morning and I didn't feel at all uncomfortable slipping on a t-shirt and shorts, donning a hat to disguise "bed head" and going up on deck for that first cup or two of coffee. There was always morning coffee available on the stern deck, IIRC, and I pretty much had it to myself.

Hi, we're going on Windsurf on 1/09/11 out of Barbados for the 1st time. Can you advice us on post cruise hotels in Barbados? Windstar suggested Accra. What is your opinion?

Welcome to the forum! We have cruised out of Barbados on Windsurf 3 times but never stayed there. I have seen the Accra though and it looks nice enough.

Our friends stayed at Little Good Harbor http://www.littlegoodharbourbarbados.com/photogallery.html and liked it. We ate at the adjoining restaurant The Fish Pot and it was really good. I will warn you though that this hotel is away from the airport whereas Accra is close to the airport.

Have a great cruise!

Patty

Welcome to the forum! We have cruised out of Barbados on Windsurf 3 times but never stayed there. I have seen the Accra though and it looks nice enough.

Our friends stayed at Little Good Harbor http://www.littlegoodharbourbarbados.com/photogallery.html and liked it. We ate at the adjoining restaurant The Fish Pot and it was really good. I will warn you though that this hotel is away from the airport whereas Accra is close to the airport.

Have a great cruise!

Patty

Lots of people stay at the Accra. We haven't, choosing to be further out, but those who stay there seem happy enough.

Oddly, I had an offer of special rates for Little Good Harbour drop into my inbox this week, courtesy of JetSetter. It looked intriguing enough that it's on the list for future trips.

The JetSetter offer is good for August through November only.

http://www.jetsetter.com/sale/littlegoodharbour/littlegoodharbour?nm=splash&cl=7

Mands

• 2 weeks later...

ooh ejfprf - i was just reading this thread and saw your comment. I have never cruised and am thinking of doing the St Martin to St Martin this January as well. (kind of a pre-kids thing with the husband). Reading everyone's reviews is certainly helping windstar get my business! Anyhow, you inspired me to ask:

My husband and I are 33, and have no kids (yet). We are attracted to the windstar cruise because it docs overnight in the Caribbean ports - we are hoping to enjoy some off-ship nightlife, dancing, and good rum. Is that something anyone has experienced? Or do you have to be on ship by a certain hour? We aren't "party people" but love nightlife (by that, I mean that we wont be stumbling home drunk).

Thanks in advance for the input!

Hi Patty,

Thank you so much for replying to my questions! First time on Windstar Cruises.

I'm a Maine gal & like Chicago it gets pretty cold in January... looking forward to relaxing a millions miles from home!

Archived