Tips on getting down from the upper berth

We had 2 cabins booked and one passenger cancelled so 3 of us are sharing a room. I have roomed with 3 family members before with no problem..... except finding an easy way to descend the upper berth. Also, any advice to save the soles of the feet coming down the ladder? Flip flops? We are adults. A single supplement is not an option.

There really isn't much you can do to save the soles of your feet from the trauma of the ladder. I wore shoes and took them off and put them at the end of the bunk, but then nearly fell out of bed the first morning trying to get them on. :eek:

I found out that coming out of the berth I could step on the other bunk sometimes and that made it easier getting down. Getting up is still a bummer.

Thanks everybody,

No sofabed rooms available. I may try the towel on the rungs idea and putting the mattress on the floor. I was hoping there would somehow be an easier way than what I had been doing...... :rolleyes:

We are gong to be facing the same issue on our next cruise. Son will be in upper. I was wondering how big in diameter the rungs are. Thought about bringing some padding, such as a foam wrap that goes on pipes or even a pool noodle cut into short pieces. Do you think they will fit the rungs?

You must be under 30 years old.

I will be 40 yrs old in 7 months, and we always cruise 3 gals to a cabin. I always take the upper berth as I prefer it. I am not nearly as spry as I used to be, but I have no problem climbing up and down the ladder. I recommend climbing barefoot as (for me) tactile contact with the rungs lets me know exactly where I am. When climbing down, I always have my entire body on the bed except for one leg dangling that is feeling for the top run. Once I've located the top rung, by feeling with my foot, I then firmly plant that foot on the rung. After that, it is easy to climb down. I also recommend that you memorize the technique you used the first time you climbed up. That way, you can reverse it for climbing down. One last thought: Bring a plug in (or battery-operated) nightlight so that if you must climb down in the middle of the night to use the restroom, you will not be in total darkness. Hope this helps.

Thanks everybody,

No sofabed rooms available. I may try the towel on the rungs idea and putting the mattress on the floor. I was hoping there would somehow be an easier way than what I had been doing...... :rolleyes:

Too bad there are no sofa bed rooms avaliable. I don't think anyone should pay for a cruise and then have to sleep on the floor but it seems as if there is no choice for you. People do cancel....keep checking.

Oh, what a funny question. My first ever cruise was on CCL, and I had the top bunk. I was 40# overweight and around 51 at the time. It was super had getting UP the ladder. It seemed to shift from side to side. I thought: well, here's a law suit begging to happen.

Getting down wasn't so much a prb. I started on my tummy and sort of did a V-split. LOL. One leg stretching to touch the bottom bunk and the other leg trying to stay in the bed. Like Ballet. soo funny. Anyhoo. I didn't have a prb with getting down during the night as I slept thru the night.

Boy, did we hit the waves on that cruise!!! but still I didn't get seasick. That cabin was rocking and rolling as it was the Fantasy and not very large as cruise ships go. I survived. It was a GREAT first cruise. Very romantic for DH and I as we suggled on the bottom bunk.

After that, No more bunk beds for this gal. I lost 40# but would rather sleep on the floor than a bunk. You are great to condense to a 3-person room. Hope it works out. Where there is a will, there is a way. What great memories you brought up. That was the cruise we became addicts on. (cruise addicts that is). Hope it goes well for you.

Here's a wacky thought...Bring a fun noodle (the kind you use in the pool) and cut it into sections and then slice it down the side and slip it over each rung.

My apologies for hijacking the thread. Nikki, I see you went on the Caribe!? That was our first cruise, way back in 1992! She makes the Monarch and Majesty look huge! :eek: I believe she's sailing as the "Regal Empress" now-we saw her in Nassau last year.

I never see the Caribe on signatures, so this made me quite excited!! :D

You don't get down from an upper bunk you get down from a duck. Sorry I just love that joke. I'd be careful about the pool noodles on the rungs. They may slip around. Speaking from top bunk experience, just take it slow and steady. I'd go with slippers like they give out in the hospital that have rubber tread on the bottom. The upper bunk on Princess had a light up there for me. Have a great cruise.

Archived