SECOND cruise cancelled by rccl - what should I do???

First, let me say that love rccl - I'm a frequent cruiser and a stockholder. I'm beyond upset with them and need advice.

I booked our family of 3 plus a friend in a suite for spring break 2011 on mos out of LA. I booked 3 months ago while onboard AOS. Got a call about a month later saying tat the ship was moving so they gave me an incentive to rebook the same week on VOS. Our dates bare not flexible due to school vacation. Since this new itinerary is out of TX we could not drive and so I purchased my air tickets and was ready to go.

Today i get a call saying that vos has now been "chartered" and I need to "pick another ship and itinerary"!!!! Help. As you can see I have done many of the other routes including Alaska Europe and most ports in the Caribbean - I'm at my wits end.

What is fair compensation from rccl? Keep in mind I have $400 worth of change feescomming my way.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

I'd suggest requesting the fare be protected (or lower) for similar (or better) accommodations on another cruise of the same (or longer) duration plus reimbursement of airline change fees.

I don't think that's TOO much to ask for all things considered. Of course there's no telling if they'll do it, but that's what I'd say is fair.

Wow, I'd be upset too, let us know how this works out. Seems like you've been a good sport about all of this, buying flights for second choice cruise when you didn't need them the first time. Seems like you've gone the extra mile, now will Royal Caribbean?

They should cover your change fees for flights definitely.

How about the Liberty 8 night cruise out of Miami? See if RCI will give you a fair amount of OBC and/or an upgrade for all your troubles.

I'd suggest requesting the fare be protected (or lower) for similar (or better) accommodations on another cruise of the same (or longer) duration plus reimbursement of airline change fees.

I don't think that's TOO much to ask for all things considered. Of course there's no telling if they'll do it, but that's what I'd say is fair.

dito.

I think that the $400 is intended to help defray the cost of rescheduling flights. We had a cruise cancelled over a year in advance and they gave us $400 OBC for no good reason (we took it, though:)).

I think the real issue is what itineraries they're offering you. If nothing is to to your liking, find what you want and stand your ground. If the regular customer service reps won't budge, ask to speak with somebody in the resolutions department. Even check out cruises on Celebrity or Azamara, part of the same corporate family. An acquaintance of ours was scheduled on a Panama Canal crossing on the Jewel that was cancelled. She ended up on X's Infinity doing the same itinerary, through perserverence. Good luck!

I agree with doing the 8 night eastern caribbean LOS out of Miami...We are doing Mar. 19th which will be her last.. I think this would be a great option..Good luck !!!

They should cover your change fees for flights definitely.

How about the Liberty 8 night cruise out of Miami? See if RCI will give you a fair amount of OBC and/or an upgrade for all your troubles.

Just looked at what's on offer for your dates and this seems to be the best option, unless you are happy to sail from San Juan. I agree they should recompense you for your flights or perhaps you could negotiate that they provide flights for you to Miami or San Juan. I would expect additional onboard credit and/or an upgrade.

I really feel for you, we were due to be on the Mariner west coast cruise with another family and had booked it to coincide with the kids being on Easter holiday. We've all had to make different arrangements and won't be taking our cruise as a family - or cruising with the other family.

Once thing I would say is that you should stick to your guns and fight your corner. We were initially told we could have a refund or change to the VOS which was no good for us. They then allowed us to have the OBC on any cruise but said we had to book within 2 weeks. My friend was away at the time and unable to arrange anything and it was only after a 'fight' with RCI that they allowed her to extend the time in which she can choose another cruise (and still get the $400 OBC) until the end of this year.

You have been badly messed around and you deserve better :mad:

My last few posts have been about how booking early gets you nothing but aggravation and you're just presenting another aspect of that very problem. I hope they make it right for you. It's tough when you're tied to specific dates. Maybe another cruise line?

You can ask for compensation for your air change fees, but it would probably be in the form of OBC--if they even offer it. You could also ask for fare protection if you find another RCI cruise that suits you.

I suspect you are more likely to be told that you didn't have to book air this far out, that the cruise line reserves the right to make these changes, and that they are not responsible for any compensation. (I'm not saying they are right or wrong, just noting what seems to be a common response.)

Best of luck resolving this.

beachchick

Can you still get a full refund for your cruise fare? If so since you already have your flights booked, why not just sail on the Carnival Conquest instead? We've been on both ships. And although I do think Voyager is nicer than the Conquest you will still have a very enjoyable time!

I like the previous suggestion to rebook on Carnival.

It may be fate to get you to try another cruise line.

Also a small way to show RCI and vent your anger .

Visit the Carnival board and you will see many as avid about Carnival as those on this RCI board.;)

First, let me say that love rccl - I'm a frequent cruiser and a stockholder. I'm beyond upset with them and need advice.

I booked our family of 3 plus a friend in a suite for spring break 2011 on mos out of LA. I booked 3 months ago while onboard AOS. Got a call about a month later saying tat the ship was moving so they gave me an incentive to rebook the same week on VOS. Our dates bare not flexible due to school vacation. Since this new itinerary is out of TX we could not drive and so I purchased my air tickets and was ready to go.

Today i get a call saying that vos has now been "chartered" and I need to "pick another ship and itinerary"!!!! Help. As you can see I have done many of the other routes including Alaska Europe and most ports in the Caribbean - I'm at my wits end.

What is fair compensation from rccl? Keep in mind I have $400 worth of change feescomming my way.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

That sucks, it really does. But other than their accommodation offer, you wont be getting anything else (except a refund if you cancel). It sounds harsh, I know, but you have to understand that RCI charters out of good business sense.

Think about it their way: should they risk a ship going less than full, or allow a company to charter, pay to fill the entire ship AND pay them an additional fee to cover the costs of compensation they give to the displaced guests? As a shareholder, you should be glad RCI is making the decision that makes the most business sense.

they should give you full refund- seeing as it was well in advance & their fault

The cruise is well outside of penalty and so a refund would be a given if it was cancelled.

Got a call about a month later saying that the ship was moving so they gave me an incentive to rebook the same week on VOS.

Today i get a call saying that vos has now been "chartered" and I need to "pick another ship and itinerary"!!!!

Someone, somewhere is trying to tell you something. I love cruising on RCI, but damn. I would have to give them up that particular week. With non-refundable air tickets, I would be looking at another cruise line, or something different altogether.

We are also some of the un-lucky ones to have to re-book.... UGH..... I have already booked my air (non-refundable)......

Would like to hear from others that this has happened to in the past and how the cruise line compensated them especially for air.

I haven't called to rebook, but my email said they would reimburse up to $100 pp in charges to rebook airline reservations. Must document.

So generous:rolleyes: .They put you thru the ringer twice do to their own doing.I think I would just use the tickets toward another vacation and spread the word on how great:rolleyes: you were treated

:cj

Archived