Experienced Royal Points Users....Could use your expertise.

Hi all. I am about to reach 50,000 points on my Royal Caribbean Credit card. I am so excited! My husband and I would like to use these points for a free 3 or 4 night cruise. Can someone please explain the exact process for doing this. I am confused as to whether I call RCCL or the credit card company to make the reservation, etc. I read something about still having to make a deposit???? Also, my husband has a separate RCCL credit card that we would like to use as onboard credit on this trip. Can I do both? Anyhow, as much detail as possible would be fantastic. Thank you so much for all your help. :D

I've used my points several times, but only for OBC. I called RCCL, sent in points and gotten OBC. The credit card company can't do it for OBC so I'm sure they can't make it happen for the cruise. I'm sure there are others who have purchased a cruise with the points...I can't wait long enough to get a free cruise so I just use the OBC :(. Congrats to you!!!

Hi all. I am about to reach 50,000 points on my Royal Caribbean Credit card. I am so excited! My husband and I would like to use these points for a free 3 or 4 night cruise. Can someone please explain the exact process for doing this. I am confused as to whether I call RCCL or the credit card company to make the reservation, etc. I read something about still having to make a deposit???? Also, my husband has a separate RCCL credit card that we would like to use as onboard credit on this trip. Can I do both? Anyhow, as much detail as possible would be fantastic. Thank you so much for all your help. :D

Hi Brenda, instead of trying to answer your questions.......here is the number to the RCI Coupon Redemption Center that handles all the coupons 1-888-305-4626. They can answer all of your questions......especially when it comes to deposits.

We called the 800 number on our card and gave them the points that we wanted to redeem. We used them to pay for our Oasis cruise, we had already given a deposit. We have decided to cash in more pints and use them as OBC.

Hi Brenda, instead of trying to answer your questions.......here is the number to the RCI Coupon Redemption Center that handles all the coupons 1-888-305-4626. They can answer all of your questions......especially when it comes to deposits.

I had read a long time ago on here, that they only sent you the certificates and really didn't know the procedures regarding booking, etc. No clue if that is true or not, but that is why I asked the process on here. I am wondering....do I book first or get my coupon first and then book, etc.

We've done this several times and it has been a very easy process. I don't think it matters if you call to redeem your points first or book the cruise first. When you call the CCC, you tell them how many points you are redeeming and they will send mail you a certificate, mine have usually arrived in about 7 business days. The certificate is only good for 6 months and the cruise must be booked within that time frame. You do need to pay a deposit when you book the cruise. When I book, I tell them I am going to be sending a certificate for however many points. After completing the info on the certificate, I make a copy and mail the original to the address listed. It usually takes about 10 to 14 days before it is credited. Although the cruise fare has been "free", we still paid taxes, any amount left from our deposit is credited back to our charge card.

Sherri:)

We've done this several times and it has been a very easy process. I don't think it matters if you call to redeem your points first or book the cruise first. When you call the CCC, you tell them how many points you are redeeming and they will send mail you a certificate, mine have usually arrived in about 7 business days. The certificate is only good for 6 months and the cruise must be booked within that time frame. You do need to pay a deposit when you book the cruise. When I book, I tell them I am going to be sending a certificate for however many points. After completing the info on the certificate, I make a copy and mail the original to the address listed. It usually takes about 10 to 14 days before it is credited. Although the cruise fare has been "free", we still paid taxes, any amount left from our deposit is credited back to our charge card.

Thank you...... Do I have to GO on the cruise within 6 months of booking or just send the certificate in to pay for the cruise within 6 months of receiving it? In other words can I book the cruise this summer to go next summer? How much is a deposit for a 4 night cruise? I am assuming this deposit will be more than the actual cruise, so once they receive the certificate they will credit my credit card?

I had read a long time ago on here, that they only sent you the certificates and really didn't know the procedures regarding booking, etc. No clue if that is true or not, but that is why I asked the process on here. I am wondering....do I book first or get my coupon first and then book, etc.

The telephone number I gave you is for the department within Royal Caribbean that handle and process all the certificates received when you send it to the address shown on the front.

Bank of America only redeems points and the mail out certificates.

The telephone number I gave you is for the department within Royal Caribbean that handle and process all the certificates received when you send it to the address shown on the front.

Bank of America only redeems points and the mail out certificates.

ahhhhhhhh......sounds good.

Thank you...... Do I have to GO on the cruise within 6 months of booking or just send the certificate in to pay for the cruise within 6 months of receiving it? In other words can I book the cruise this summer to go next summer? How much is a deposit for a 4 night cruise? I am assuming this deposit will be more than the actual cruise, so once they receive the certificate they will credit my credit card?

Deposits for a 3-5 night cruise is $100pp.

You can book now for next summer, but I would not redeem points until 6 months prior to your cruise. You will want to submit the Certificate before final payment date.

From the RCI website....

Final payment of the balance must be received at Royal Caribbean's offices at least 60 days prior to the sailing date for 3, 4, or 5-night cruise vacations and 70 days prior to the sailing date for 7-night or longer cruise vacations. The payment schedule for groups is different from that of individuals. You will usually receive cruise and air documents no later than 28 days before the start of your cruise.

Deposits for a 3-5 night cruise is $100pp.

You can book now for next summer, but I would not redeem points until 6 months prior to your cruise. You will want to submit the Certificate before final payment date.

From the RCI website....

Final payment of the balance must be received at Royal Caribbean's offices at least 60 days prior to the sailing date for 3, 4, or 5-night cruise vacations and 70 days prior to the sailing date for 7-night or longer cruise vacations. The payment schedule for groups is different from that of individuals. You will usually receive cruise and air documents no later than 28 days before the start of your cruise.

I am thinking its probably best to book within the 6 month time frame, .... just in case. Thanks for your help.

I am thinking its probably best to book within the 6 month time frame, .... just in case. Thanks for your help.

What I've been told quite a few times on Cruise Critic is that if you use your points and then cancel your cruise, you LOSE the points.

What I also know for a fact is (as stated above) the certificate will expire in 6 months.

If you're not cruising for another year, I would NOT order my certificate until about 2 months before I was about to cruise. Chances are much less that you'll have to cancel and 2 months is MORE than enough time to get your certificate, mail it to RCCL, and have them apply the credit.

What I've been told quite a few times on Cruise Critic is that if you use your points and then cancel your cruise, you LOSE the points.

What I also know for a fact is (as stated above) the certificate will expire in 6 months.

If you're not cruising for another year, I would NOT order my certificate until about 2 months before I was about to cruise. Chances are much less that you'll have to cancel and 2 months is MORE than enough time to get your certificate, mail it to RCCL, and have them apply the credit.

I am thinking I would have to have the certificate before I would need to make final payment though......

I think that is correct, I would imagine if you cancel your cruise, you would lose your points.

The certificate does expire 6 months after you cash your points in so you have to use it but the cruise does not have to be taken within the 6 months.

After your certificate is applied, any remaining credits will be credited back to your cc. We used our points for a 7 day cruise on the Mariner,after we paid around $!50.00 in taxes, the remainder of our deposit was credited back to us.

The whole process was very simple. The service reps at the redemption center were very helpful. No problems any step of the way.

I am thinking I would have to have the certificate before I would need to make final payment though......

Good point, since you're using it for a "free" cruise. I just used mine for OBC and sent it in well after final payment was due.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/dealsandmore/offer/visa.do;jsessionid=0000s6BGmh7vjGBceUQsYfuvZy5:12hbiocus?cS=NAVBAR

If the web page above doesn't come up, then go to Royal Caribbean's home page, at top go to "Deals & Gifts" and click on Royal Caribbean Visa Card. You will find all the information for redeeming points there.

As mentioned, you must use the certificate within 6 months, so don't redeem points too early.

Exactly what I was going to say, lol...Last time we used 'companion fare', we had a lot of points. We added $$$$ to upgrade to the cabin selection we prefer and paid taxes, gratuities etc. Also, you can still apply OBC's after final payment- well we were able to at the end of May this yr.

Archived