drinks for not a big drinker

If someone doesn't like alcohol why encourage them to drink it?

The OP asked a question. Everyone is simply answering it. It's up to the OP's SIL whether she drinks or not, BTW.

The OP asked a question. Everyone is simply answering it. It's up to the OP's SIL whether she drinks or not, BTW.

If she is happy with certain virgin drinks, and she wants to try some alcohol, tell the bartender to put half the amount in. I don't see how there are special not-so-alcoholic drinks.

What is the price of the "fufu" drinks now? Also how much is a "virgin" variety of the same? I am not drinker either. I ordered a rum and diet last year and an extra diet and kept mixing. It was so strong I was never able to finish it. I ended up just leaving it.

This is a good question~!! Thanks for all the answers as well. I wish I would have known about drinks being so strong on our last cruise. I bought my first cosmopolitan and it was sooooo strong I had to send it back.

I'll be giving some of these milder drinks a try this time.

I've found that cosmopolitans and other martinis are kind of misleading for people who don't drink a lot-- they look like they'll have a mild taste, but they're very alcoholic. I would consider myself a moderate social drinker, and even for me, martinis are generally too strong. It always tastes like they've mixed fruit juice with rubbing alcohol.

If she is happy with certain virgin drinks, and she wants to try some alcohol, tell the bartender to put half the amount in. I don't see how there are special not-so-alcoholic drinks.

Ah but there are! For those of us who do not drink often the flavor matters. There are strong flavored drinks where it doesn't even have to be tons of alcohol in it but rather stronger tasting ones and then there are drinks that are made with sweeter ingredients and a lighter flavored alcohol. There is a huge differace in these drinks.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will pass the list on to my SIL. I just might try a few myself.

AS I mentioned in my first post, she is not a BIG drinker. She enjoys a drink or two each day, but asked me to get a list of favorite drinks from cc members that aren't too strong tasting. If she doesn't enjoy a certain drink, then she plans on passing it on to someone in the family. It won't go to waste.;)

Again, thanks for all the suggestions.:D

I'll pass on your comment to her...I'm sure she'll get a big laugh. :D

I guess she'll find out if the above mentioned drinks are "special not-so-alcoholic drinks".

If you want something even lighter than wine, have a "spritzer" made. Just have club soda added to a glass of wine. It's much lighter that way. Sorry, but hard liquor, even cut with other Juice or soda is still much stronger than even a glass of wine.

I prefer wine, champagne, bellinis or fruity drinks over anything else. I like sweet drinks, not necessarily less alcohol, but sweeter flavor works better for me.

what kind of wine do you use, I am not a drinker either, but this sounds refreshing. thanks

I don't like the taste of alcohol in drinks. This thread is full of ideas for me. I have always wanted to drink a nice tropical looking drink but I hate the taste. I do drink white wine and that spritzer idea is great. Do they do that on all ships?

I'm not a big drink either. At 61 years old I can remember the first and "last" time I got drunk - I was 21 years old. I was so sick:( I swore off strong drinks and I've kept to that promise ever since.

My favorite cruise drink is a Strawberry Margarita. I love the fruity taste of strawberries in this fu fu drink.

Bahama Mama is my favorite and if they don't tell you it has alcohol, you won't taste it. Some of the suggestions above have had a BIG splash of alcohol..I usually stick with the Mango Tango, Bahama Mamas, any of the ones for sail-away that the bartenders have on a tray.

I am not a "drinker" but will have a as my kids like to call them "fu fu drink". My favorite is a strawberry daquiri. On our last cruise I had a mango tango. If I remember it's pina colada on the bottom, mango and then some rum on the top. It was delicious. Not strong either. They do come around with virgin drinks at the pool and carry a bottle of rum or whatever needs to be added to the drink. They are very accomodating and will make it to your liking. Enjoy.:D

A good rule of thumb is to look at what the primary liquor is. Something with capt morgan or meyers, bacardi etc will have an 80 proof liquor (40% alcohol by volume). However if the primary is something like malibu, parrot bay, schnaps, etc those drinks will mostlikely have less alcohol in them. "Most" (insert surgeons general warning here) drinks get their alcohol content from their primary liquor and the secondaries are for flavor.

I will give you 2 suggestions for drinks that a person who doesn't drink alcohol all that often may like. I personally don't like a mixed drink with a heavy taste of alcohol. The following 2 work for me!!

My fav is nuts and berries. The expensive way is Frangelico, Chambord, and milk. The cheap way is hazelnut liquor, Razzmatazz, and milk. I have introduced this drink to many people and it has always been a hit!!! I, myself, would have never thought of mixing alcohol with milk, but it works VERY well!!

The second suggestion is a drink with Malibu rum (coconut), pineapple juice, and a splash of grenadine. I am sure it has a name, I just don't know what it is.

My SIL is not a big drinker, but is willing to try a few different drinks that don't have a lot of alcohol in them. Any recommendations? She already enjoys the "virgin" mix drinks, but interested in "not so strong" drinks.

I am not a big drinker either and I like to nurse a bailys on the rocks after dinner. During the day if I really want a drink I get a frozen drink and a big glass of water, If she isn't a big drinker it is always helpful to have a glass of water with anything she drinks.

Archived