Pub Lunch Question

Go-Bucks!

My next cruise is a 14 day TA on the Crown. I've never had the pub lunch but am looking forward to it. I've heard it's held in the Wheelhouse lounge.

Anyone know how often they offer it (everyday or sea days only?), what are the hours they serve it, and is there an extra charge like in the specialty dinner restaurants? Will it likely be crowded? Just curious, especially now that they've expanded the menu.

Menu usually has four items. These can include Fish & Chips, Bangers & Mash, Sheppards Pie.

Somewhere I read that the menu is being expanded with some new additional entrees and new deserts. Can't remember where I saw it.

Paul said: Menu usually has four items. These can include Fish & Chips, Bangers & Mash, Sheppards Pie.

It's been updated, Paul. Read below.

Somewhere I read that the menu is being expanded with some new additional entrees and new deserts. Can't remember where I saw it.

Pub Lunch Enhancement for Longer Voyages

As many of you are aware, our Pub Lunch continues to be a hit with our passengers. We’re striving to make it even better by offering more traditional British dishes and scrumptious desserts on our longer voyages. Our Pub Lunch medley was enhanced with items such as Chicken Curry, Steak & Kidney Pie, Bread & Butter Pudding, Sherry Trifle, and much more.

But I'd still like to know how often they offer it (everyday or sea days only?), what are the hours they serve it, and is there an extra charge like in the specialty dinner restaurants? Will it likely be crowded? Anyone have an answer from experience, not just a guess. Thanks for your help!

They now have two different menus that get alternated throughout the cruise.

But I'd still like to know how often they offer it (everyday or sea days only?), what are the hours they serve it, and is there an extra charge like in the specialty dinner restaurants? Will it likely be crowded? Anyone have an answer from experience, not just a guess. Thanks for your help!

Only sea days, hours will vary by ship. Our experiences have been 11:30-2pm-ish. The venue also varies by ship, and that impacts the crowding aspect. In our experience, the first sea day it was offered was less crowded than the following sea day. As with most things, get there early and you won't have any problems.

The Crown served the pub lunch between 11:30-2:00. It is something that should not be missed. The fact that there is no additional charge is also very nice. The menu at that time (April) was limited to a few items, but each was very good. It was served on sea days only. There were a few officers enjoying their lunch when I was there. One was from England and he was telling everyone how happy he was to have a little taste of home on board. He was glad that a lot of the British passengers had commented positvely on the quality of the pub lunch. Almost all in attendence the day I was there were having beer to accompany their pub lunch. I will admit that it did give it a more authentic feel.

Paul said: Menu usually has four items. These can include Fish & Chips, Bangers & Mash, Sheppards Pie.

It's been updated, Paul. Read below.

Pub Lunch Enhancement for Longer Voyages

As many of you are aware, our Pub Lunch continues to be a hit with our passengers. We’re striving to make it even better by offering more traditional British dishes and scrumptious desserts on our longer voyages. Our Pub Lunch medley was enhanced with items such as Chicken Curry, Steak & Kidney Pie, Bread & Butter Pudding, Sherry Trifle, and much more.

On the Island Princess this last March, it was offered only twice (on sea days) on a 15-day cruise. There is no charge. I brought my beer from my free elite mini-bar.

There is no charge for the Pub Lunch.

Do not miss the Bread & Butter Pudding. A large piece (warm) with vanilla sauce and very rich with huge raisins - to die for.

:D:D:cool::D:D

Just got back from cruise of British Isles on the Crown. The pub lunch was in the Wheelhouse and they held it twice during our cruise. It was very good. Tip: don't go when it opens up. The line was stupid. We waited half an hour and there was no line.

My husband and I went to the Pub lunch in the Painted Desert on the Grand. It was offered 4 times on a 14 day cruise, all sea days. We went 3 times! We had fish and chips, steak and kidney pie and bangers and mash. We learned to eat our chips with malt vinegar and steak and kidney pie with HP sauce. We ate at the bar and most of the other passengers there were from somewhere in the UK. We had many nice conversations with them and the barmaid too. The bread pudding was the best.

Menu usually has four items. These can include Fish & Chips, Bangers & Mash, Sheppards Pie.

When I was on the Emerald last year, the menu also included Fish & chips as well as Ploughman's Lunch. When I was on the Sea Princess this past May, I don't believe they had the pub lunch at all.

When I was on the Emerald last year, the menu also included Fish & chips as well as Ploughman's Lunch. When I was on the Sea Princess this past May, I don't believe they had the pub lunch at all.

I had to google Ploughman's Lunch because I didn't know what it was.

From Wikipedia: A ploughman's lunch (often just called a ploughman's) is a cold snack or meal originating in the United Kingdom, composed of cheese (usually a thick piece of Cheddar; Stilton or other local cheese); pickle (called "relish" outside the UK), bread (especially crusty bread, which may be a chunk from a loaf or a bap); and butter. It is often accompanied by a green salad; other common additions are half an apple, celery, pickled onions, pâté, crisps, diced hard boiled egg or beetroot.

How does the ship's Ploughman's Lunch compare?

I had to google Ploughman's Lunch because I didn't know what it was.

From Wikipedia: A ploughman's lunch (often just called a ploughman's) is a cold snack or meal originating in the United Kingdom, composed of cheese (usually a thick piece of Cheddar; Stilton or other local cheese); pickle (called "relish" outside the UK), bread (especially crusty bread, which may be a chunk from a loaf or a bap); and butter. It is often accompanied by a green salad; other common additions are half an apple, celery, pickled onions, pâté, crisps, diced hard boiled egg or beetroot.

How does the ship's Ploughman's Lunch compare?

Sorry that I didn't explain what a Ploughman's is. Yes, that's exactly what was served in the Wheelhouse for the Pub Lunch; that and a pint of Stella hit the spot.

Of all of the dinning experiences we had on the Ruby, the Pub was one of the the best. We had fish and chipa--outstanding. The ploudhman's lunch was great. And the shimp and chips was spectular. This is one stop that is well worth the time.

:)

On the Sapphire, the pub lunch was held at the Savoy. I have pics of the menu, I just have to find them.

It was in The Savoy for our Sapphire Mex Riv cruise too. I had one of the best steak and kidney pies ever and DH's chicken curry was so good I had to force him to let me have one small bite:eek:

It was held during a seaday

I'm assuming it's announced in the Patter which days it's offered? Do they have it on the Coral? I don't remember this being an option on my British Isles cruise last August, but then there were only a couple of sea days too so I probably just didn't pay attention.

Archived