Dress for dinner

kakey30

Our 3 1/2 year old /wore slacks and polo type shirts, except on formal night, he wore his easter suit. (got the suit at JC Penneys).

P.S. We took his Leapster game (with headphones) to the dining room each night. The servers were great with him. They soon learned he liked fruit and they got fruit for him every night. I think he ate a grilled cheese and french fries every night.

I know this might seem like "old school" but we did our best to dress our children when they were that age with the attire that was recommended for the evening. Our children are now young adults. We have memories and lots of family pictures that will last a lifetime.

Some will dress their children in whatever is the minimal but it's nice when the parents make an effort to dress them as close to the recommended evening attire as possible.

Keith

I know this might seem like "old school" but we did our best to dress our children when they were that age with the attire that was recommended for the evening. Our children are now young adults. We have memories and lots of family pictures that will last a lifetime.

Some will dress their children in whatever is the minimal but it's nice when the parents make an effort to dress them as close to the recommended evening attire as possible.

Keith

Absolutely....love it when kids are dressed appropriately for dinner...and we've seen wonderful family photos in the gallery with everyone dressed for dinner.:)

For casual nights I think a polo shirt w/ khaki, black or navy pants would be appropriate. For formal night I've seen them in everything from the listed items to tuxedos. I think it just depends on your family. If you and your DH are dressing up for formal night then I would put him in a button down dress shirt (tie if you can get it on him!) w/ nice pants or a suit. If you are going casual on formal night then the polo w/ dress pants will be just fine.

First time crusing with the kids. What is proper clothing for an eight year old boy for dinner? Thanks

My son wore polo shirts and khaki pants on casual nights. He wore a tux the first formal night and a formal vest set with a tie that I bought on clearance at Kohls.com for the second formal night. Our tablemates just adored him and were really impressed with his behavior. I think having him dressed up helped him understand that he needed to behave like an adult. He ordered from the regular menu instead of the kids menu and tried new things like red snapper and duck. He talked to our tablemates and enjoyed his food. They brought him crayons and a coloring page, but he never touched them. He enjoyed being a little adult. He had just turned 5 when we went on our cruise in March.

Our son, now 16, always enjoyed the attention he received from dressing up for formal nights. Since the dress clothes aren't worn much before outgrowing them, I usually found something on sale or from a resale shop. Looking back, I think the overall favorite was a blue, double breasted blazer with gold buttons with white linen pants at about age 4/5. Not your tux type formal but so nautical.

Welcome to CC,

Children can get away with being a bit less formal and much depends on the cruiseline, the sailing area and the parents style.

I've seen parents in suits and coat / tie with DW similariarly dressed and kids in khaki's and polo all the way to matching. Also seen many cases with parents dressed to the nines and teens and younger in less than formal but far fewere. Unless they are in really shabby stuff if parents are proper I think you won't have entrance problem into the dining room.

I have seen many children in jeans and sweats on casual night with children in much better.

All that being said we went dressy on formal nights and much less so on casual days in the dining room with never a problem

First time crusing with the kids. What is proper clothing for an eight year old boy for dinner? Thanks

542894287_770FormalNightII.jpg.ec4bfe0333d132cafbd5afbc67ded5b3.jpg

1859828307_745PocketAcesatDinner.jpg.e515e656e7270088d8fafae28fdaa075.jpg

Archived