How many cruisers get extra "goodies" from your TA?

cruizelvr

We have found that we get only what HAL is offering with the cruise booking. No TA we have used has actually given us anything.

Usually there are a couple of booking "prices", with one at the rock-bottom price, and the other price with amenities such as wine, champagne, Pinnacle dinner, bathrobes, chocolate strawberries, on board credits.

Sometimes is is difficult to find out what the actual price is for rock-bottom, as the TA usually seems to want to sell the inclusive of amenities booking price.

If you research serveral TA sites, you can find the same cruise at different prices, with different sets of amenities.

Once we asked if any amenities "came with" the price quoted and were told that we could have champagne, $50pp CR and a Pinnacle dinner, but that would cost $200pp more, so it wasn't worth it , in the TA's words.

We often wonder the advantage of using our TA instead of booking directly with HAL....do some of you get a bottle of wine waiting for you on the ship as a "thank you"? Just wondering....

A good TA should give you a significantly better deal than HAL directly, but there is a wide differential between TA's.

As an example, a booking for a 14 day Alaska cruise for my family for three cabins next summer was quoted (round figures) at $18,000 by HAL directly, $18,000 by one country wide TA, $15,800 by a large online TA and $15,500 by another large online TA.

You decide the advantage of booking with a TA.

Scott & Karen

I booked through an online TA and got 575 OBC, 200 dollars in soda/beverage cards and a dinner for 2 at pinnacle, as well as got a price match which had me paying 300 less PP than HALs website rate.

So, that's why I chose the online TA. Over 1K worth of stuff vs no perks at all.

The last 2 cruises I was on, I had shipboard credits provided me by my travel agency; this last cruise, we had a free dinner for 2 at the Pinnacle Grill as well. Both times, I booked the lowest price I found for my chosen category.

Do you know if the PVP at Hal are on commision? I don't feel right starting the booking wih him and then turning it over to a TA if he will loose the commision. I am only on a 7 day cruise so the "perks" a TA could offer won't be that much..

I don't book directly with HAL. I do book with different TA's and I shop around amongst them. The incentives I usually get are reduced fares and occasionally other perks like wine, etc. The bigger the discounted fare the smaller the other perks down to getting nothing. That's fine with me because my typical savings are a lot, lot more than a couple of bottles of wine or free Pinnacle Grill dinners.

Do you know if the PVP at Hal are on commision? I don't feel right starting the booking wih him and then turning it over to a TA if he will loose the commision. I am only on a 7 day cruise so the "perks" a TA could offer won't be that much..

According to my HAL PCC she does not receive any commissions but she does receive points. Not sure what the points give her as I did not ask... Perhaps DBA can answer that one for us??

Joanie

I often wonder about booking with our TA because we often tell her when we see the price go down - after checking on our own and then she calls HAL and gets it lowered. I think because she has so many vacations for customers she can't possibly check on everyones everyday for a lower price.

Does any one know what % they actually make off of cruises - is it less than 5%? We have booked the last 2 cruises for 10 days each and haven't received any "extra" stuff - to say "thanks" for using my services.

Next time we may have to try something else....

Does any one know what % they actually make off of cruises - is it less than 5%? We have booked the last 2 cruises for 10 days each and haven't received any "extra" stuff - to say "thanks" for using my services.

Next time we may have to try something else....

On our last cruise our TA actually sent us a copy, via email, of her invoice with HAL. The commission on that cruise was 10% but I'm not saying that is typical. It was an SS on the Prinsendam for a 15-day cruise so it was a nice piece of change. She wasn't "giving" any of that back directly but the booking did include some perks like Pinnacle Grill dinners, wine, and a free private tour at one of the ports.

My TA last time didn't offer any perks at all, and wasn't very knowledgeable... every time I had a question he had to ask the HAL reps in Australia and then they'd have to ask HAL - lots of waiting around and I never felt very confident that the answer would be correct. Plus my deposit with the TA was non-refundable from the start - nine months ahead.

This time I've just booked direct with HAL via the website. Cut out the middleman.

You obviously get much better deals in US though.

However, on a more pleasing note... a colleague of mine used to be a cruise director, and she somehow got us put on the VIP list. We were greeted by flowers, fruit and champagne in our room, and an invitation to drinks with the Captain. My mother is in her 70s, first cruise, and it made her feel very special. :)

We receive special deals from our TA on every cruise we book with him.

On our upcoming 12 day cruise on the Oosterdam from Vancouver to San Diego we get a $225 cabin credit and dinner for two at the Pinnacle.

On our 11/30/10 cruise, 10 day Caribbean on Regent, we get a $500 cabin credit and TA party on the ship.

We also got great cabin prices on both above cruises.

We haven't yet done any long duration cruises, just 7 to 10 day cruises, so we really haven't ever expected much in the way of 'extras' from our brick & mortar TA. Nonetheless, we have always received a little something from him: depending upon the level of cabin we've booked, we have received dinner at the PG, a bottle of wine, once only one of those HAL discount books. These little things are always unexpected pleasures because we don't actually look to our TA for on board gifts as much as for great advice regarding interesting cruises and professional help in securing the best total price possible.

i prefer rock bottom pricing to 'goodies'. i don't drink, so wine is useless. i already get a fruit bowl. give me the best deal and i'm a happy, loyal customer.

I don't book directly with HAL. I do book with different TA's and I shop around amongst them. The incentives I usually get are reduced fares and occasionally other perks like wine, etc. The bigger the discounted fare the smaller the other perks down to getting nothing. That's fine with me because my typical savings are a lot, lot more than a couple of bottles of wine or free Pinnacle Grill dinners.

It all depends on what you want. If you received a rock bottom price there is no way your TA can possibly send you extra like ship board credit, wine and Pinnacle unless they also have a Group set up. If you want both than you cannot expect the rock botton price. Tell your TA what you would prefer but do it before they already offer you the rock botton price. Your TA should be able to show you how much the actual cost is and tell you the dollar amount they are discounting.

About the HAL PCCs I have asked or should I say checked into if they recieve commission. It is not really considered commission but they have a goal and it appears they may get a bonus based on certain criteria of number of cruises booked and gross volume. Your indivdual cruise itself does not pay their wages. The same is true when you book on the ship with the Cruise Consultant which is why they have no problem with booking your cruise and having it sent to your TA. You also have to remember that getting sent a gift from HAL does NOT cost your HAL PCC a dime not like it does your TA. That does come right off the commission.

I know of many that always book direct with the cruise line, then transfer their booking to a TA prior to Final Payment, this way they get what ship board credit HAL is giving extra, then they get the benefit of additional discounting when making the transfer. :)

For all the years we have booked cruises, we have used combinations of AmEx Platinum Travel Service, long distance TA, local brick and mortar TA and now exclusively use a PCC at HAL.

We are very happy with our PCC after having gone all those other routes. He has taken good care of our cruising needs for at least 4 or 5 years now. I realize we sometimes pay a bit more, sometimes not....... it balances in the end primarily on how happy you are with the quality of your experience, your needs and expectations.

I get great prices with my TA but no onboard credits or gifts. Instead we accumulate cruise points with each cruise booked, which are applied to further discount each next cruise. Worth much more in my opinion.

Well, thanks for all the info - I am convinced we need to shop around more the next time and see what other TA's have to offer, because I don't believe we got rock bottom prices. And we were not offered any ship board credits or the like.

When I first started taking cruises in the early 80's, my TA alwalys sent a bottle or wine or some other goodie. I now use a online TA, and while she dosen't offer any extra goodies, the agency does offer a GREAT discount, which more than makes up for any bottle of wine etc. that she could provide.

It really varies on my sailings.

For example on some of my cruises, my online travel agent company offers free tips. This is a small savings that saves me money.

Sometimes I get a bottle of wine or the famous "coupon book".

On my upcoming cruise, they offerred a match on the OBC that I was getting with my FCC and coupon book.

I find that my online agent offers better pricing than HAL do. This is very vital because as a solo cruiser, I got to pay extra for having that cabin alone and why should I pay extra for great service and a good cabin?

Archived