What other cruiseline offers Freestyle cruising?

karlth

Just NCL?

Almost every cruise line has now adopted the 'freestyle dining concept'. Some are separate dining rooms, some part of the large main dining room. The freestyle dress code is the most relaxed on NCL. They have a "dress up or night" (Formal) nights couple of times depending on the length of the cruise. You rarely see fancy cocktail dresses/gowns or tux, but nice tops and slacks for ladies and sometimes the men wear shirt/tie/sportcoat on those nights.

On all other lines, they pretty dress the traditional Formal Night way. Cocktail/gowns, tux, suits, etc. Most everyone looks so nice for dinner.

A lot of people change after, but many, many stay dressed for the evening. Gives the ship a very nice ambiance a couple of times of week. We choose to dress up for Formal Nights as we rarely do at home. On NCL, we dress not as fancy, but very nice, trying to keep with the fact it is "dress up or not" night.

We'll never go back to traditional dining times on any ship again...If it's the late seating, 8:30, you don't get out till after 10ish, even with 2 people, unless you tell them you want to see a show or whatever! Works for us.

Have a wonderful cruise whatever you choose. These are the facts as I know them personally!

Safe sails.

Most of the luxury (Regent , Seabourn, etc) or premium (Oceania, Azamara) lines.

I didn't know they offered a resort casual dress code (and I would say from what I've seen of their websites if they do then they define "resort casual" much differently than NCL does).

Just NCL?

If you're asking only about the 'anytime' dining part of Freestyle, most of the other cruise lines now have that option, under a variety of names.

If you're asking about the 'stay in your cabin on disembarkation morning' I know that HAL also offers that option.

If you're asking about the 'non-formal' attire part of Freestyle, I know that Oceania does not have formal nights. (It also has open seating for meals.)

Just NCL?

Of the lines we have been on, the following have "anytime" options, with various interpretations of what that means.

- Princess (Personal Choice dining: http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/during_cruise/dining.html) (we tried this options on Sapphire Princess)

- Celebrity (Select dining: http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/subject.do?faqSubjectName=Celebrity+Select+Dining&pagename=faq_questions)

- Royal Caribbean (My Time dining: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=open_seating)

- Carnival (Your Choice dining: http://www.carnival.com/cms/International/doc_press/032509_ccl_YourChoiceDining/032509_ccl_NewDining_Eng.pdf)

- HAL (As You Wish dining: http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-onboard/Dining.action)

Other than formal nights, dress codes in the dining rooms are pretty well the same for all the lines, including NCL. (no shorts, no jeans, no tank tops...)

Mike

many lines including Carnival and RCCL seem to offer some form of freestyle now, you can visit their websites and their dining options are listed.

The small print states that there is an added fee for choosing "dinner anytime" on RCCL, which is added to your account each day.

The small print states that there is an added fee for choosing "dinner anytime" on RCCL, which is added to your account each day.

Can you copy and paste that statement on here for us, please? That doesn't sound like the Royal Caribbean I sail on unless it's a new policy. I tried to find it in the Q&A but can't.

I do know that if you choose Anytime Dining, you must prepay gratuities. Is that what you mean? On NCL, all gratuities are prepaid as well.

Thanks.

Kathy

It is not an added fee, but pre-paid gratuities.

On Royal Caribbean gratuities are pre-paid when people sign up for "anytime" dining since you might not have the same waiter each day.

Automatic gratuities are added to your account for everyone, regardless of dining, on Carnival, Celebrity and Princess. (Don't remember if they did it on HAL, we sailed a few years ago).

I'd have to check my notes, I don't remember if we had to pre-pay gratuities on NCL. I *think* we did, but am not 100% sure of that one.

Mike

On Royal Caribbean gratuities are pre-paid when people sign up for "anytime" dining since you might not have the same waiter each day.

Automatic gratuities are added to your account for everyone, regardless of dining, on Carnival, Celebrity and Princess. (Don't remember if they did it on HAL, we sailed a few years ago).

I'd have to check my notes, I don't remember if we had to pre-pay gratuities on NCL. I *think* we did, but am not 100% sure of that one.

Mike

NCL charges gratuities/service charge on a daily basis, not prepaid all at once. But, I believe you have the option of prepaying them prior to sailing if you so choose.

PE

Other than formal nights, dress codes in the dining rooms are pretty well the same for all the lines, including NCL. (no shorts, no jeans, no tank tops...)

Mike

On the Sky in April shorts were allowed in one of the MDR's and jeans were allowed in all dining venues. On other NCL ships jeans are usually allowed in at least one of the MDR's. On dress up or not night I was in a suit and saw several people being seated that were wearing shorts.

Mike

We decided to prepay our gratuties on NCL Dawn for our 8/29/10 cruise to Bermuda. Coming up soon and we can't wait!

Can you copy and paste that statement on here for us, please? That doesn't sound like the Royal Caribbean I sail on unless it's a new policy. I tried to find it in the Q&A but can't.

I do know that if you choose Anytime Dining, you must prepay gratuities. Is that what you mean? On NCL, all gratuities are prepaid as well.

Thanks.

Kathy

Here is info from the Celebrity website but I believe RCCL has something similar. It sounds like the fee includes the daily surcharge plus extra and is added to your upfront costs when booking the cruise. Not exactly freestyle, so that is why we choose NCL.

Celebrity Select Dining requires prepayment of all dining and stateroom gratuities.

{210.00 USD} will be added to your reservation.

Clear Selection

spacer.gif

Offering the option to be seated any time the Main Dining Room is open, Celebrity Select Dining means there is no schedule to follow, only your heart and appetite. (Prepaid gratuities will automatically be included your reservation.)

You may also request "Wait List" for this option.

spacer.gif

Celebrity

Select Dining

Here is info from the Celebrity website but I believe RCCL has something similar. It sounds like the fee includes the daily surcharge plus extra and is added to your upfront costs when booking the cruise. Not exactly freestyle, so that is why we choose NCL.

Celebrity Select Dining requires prepayment of all dining and stateroom gratuities.

Clear Selection

spacer.gif

Offering the option to be seated any time the Main Dining Room is open, Celebrity Select Dining means there is no schedule to follow, only your heart and appetite. (Prepaid gratuities will automatically be included your reservation.)

spacer.gif

Celebrity

Select Dining

Many thanks for responding, but I wonder if you can help me further? (This thing really astounds me!) I went to the Celebrity site to read this in context, but couldn't find it. (I don't do well searching for things on these sites!!:o) I wanted to read it in context. Is it saying you will pay $210 PLUS your service charge? I wanted to find out if this was an example for a cruise of a specific length. Is it $210 for a 7-night and also for a 21-night?

Thanks for being patient with me, because I have learned from experience it does absolutely no good to call and speak with a representative!:) We will all benefit from this information.

Kathy

I have no idea what Celebrity does as we haven't sailed on that line, but RCCL has NOT charged extra for their form of freestyle dining on any of our cruises with them. That includes our cruise in January, 2010. If they have changed their policy, it has happened since then. They do require prepaid gratuity as do several other cruiselines.

Clear Selection

spacer.gif

Celebrity Select Dining

If that bolded, italicized sentence means what I think it means, you are not guaranteed to get "Select Dining." You may or may not get it, depending on how many have requested it before you. Just like you may or may not get early seating, even if you request it. Sorry. This is NOT "anytime dining." This is "maybe-anytime-but-you'll-find-out-later dining." It's unacceptable to me to plan a $5000-$10,000 vacation and not know what my dining flexibility will be.

Mike

Are there cheapskate whiners on the Cruise Critic boards for those other lines who feel compelled to ask how they can remove the automatic gratuity? I have no reason to go to those other boards until they adopt resort casual as a ship-wide dress code every night, and guarantee you'll get anytime dining, so I don't know.

If that bolded, italicized sentence means what I think it means, you are not guaranteed to get "Select Dining." You may or may not get it, depending on how many have requested it before you. Just like you may or may not get early seating, even if you request it. Sorry. This is NOT "anytime dining." This is "maybe-anytime-but-you'll-find-out-later dining." It's unacceptable to me to plan a $5000-$10,000 vacation and not know what my dining flexibility will be.

How much is it per day per person for tipping? I figure it's $15/pp per day. Way higher than NCL @ $12 p/p per day and more than $10 or $10.25 p/p per day? Getting very high on tipping, before or during!

How much is it per day per person for tipping? I figure it's $15/pp per day. Way higher than NCL @ $12 p/p per day and more than $10 or $10.25 p/p per day? Getting very high on tipping, before or during!

Here's what Celebrity charges for tipping, from their web site. It's only higher for suites because of the butler service:

Gratuities

For your convenience, we will automatically add gratuities for your restaurant and stateroom services to your onboard Seapass account on a daily basis in the following amounts, which may be adjusted at your discretion: $11.50 per person per day for guests in staterooms ($12.00 per person per day for guests in Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms and $15.00 per person per day for guests in Suites). These service gratuities are based on the following recommended amounts:

Restaurant Service* Per Person Per Day

Waiter $3.65

Assistant Waiter $2.10

Dining Room Management $1.00

Stateroom Service* Per Person Per Day

Butler (Suites Only) $3.50

Stateroom Service $3.50 ($4.00 for Concierge Class and AquaClass staterooms)

Alternative Service*

Other Service Personnel $1.25

Beverage Service personnel are acknowledged with a 15% service charge which will be automatically added to the bill.

*Please note that gratuities may be shared with other crew members depending on the particular service requirement.

Archived