Capri & Pompeii in one day?

CTShore

Hello,

Has anyone done a tour of Pompeii and traveled to Capri in one day? We are planning to take Princess tour in the morning & then would like to do Capri on or own in the afternoon. I'm wondering if we would be able to make all of the transfers between ferry back and forth to Naples.

You can probably do it, depending on the time your excursion drops you off and the time you need to be back on the ship.

We went out to Capri for only a couple of hours last summer, taking a 1:30 ferry over and getting a 4:30 ferry back, but you won't see or do much on the island with so little time. We only did it this way because my aunt wanted to go to the Blue Grotto, which she had missed on previous visits.

Hello,

Has anyone done a tour of Pompeii and traveled to Capri in one day? We are planning to take Princess tour in the morning & then would like to do Capri on or own in the afternoon. I'm wondering if we would be able to make all of the transfers between ferry back and forth to Naples.

Its not a good idea if you are using the Princess tour to Pompeii. Let me explain. Your morning tour of Pompeii will take you back to Naples (the opposite direction from Capri) in time for lunch. Assuming you get back to the ship at noon, you would then be able to walk directly to the ferry terminal to catch the next jetboat/hydrofoil. Now, I am assuming you are not going to stop at the ship for lunch, bathroom etc. Assume you can get a boat to Capri by around 1 pm.. which gets you to Marina Grande (the port for Capri) at about 1:50. You then walk to the funicular and take the funicular up to Capri Town...and by now it is about 2:15 (you still have not had lunch). This would leave you with a little time to walk around Capri Town, but you would not have time to go to Anacapri, take the chairlift, go to the Blue Grotto, or see any of the island outside of Capri Town. Assuming you planned on taking a return boat to Naples that leaves Capri about 4:30 (this would get you into Naples at 5:20) you would need to get in the queue for the downhill funicular by 3:30 (there can be a long queue at that time if there are several cruise ships in Naples and Sorrento). So, at best you would have a little more then 2 hours to explore Capri which is not enough time. Also consider that the cost of the boat to and from Capri will cost you about $50 per person. An alternative is to go to Pompeii on your own (get there by 9) and leave by 11 to catch the train from Pompeii Scavi to Sorrento. At Sorrento you can get a boat over to Capri (this takes about 20 min as opposed to the 50 min boat from Naples). If you have good connections (we have not looked at the current schedules) this method could get you to Capri before 1..which does give you more time on Capri.

Hank

We just visited Capri taking a Princess tour. The funicular was mobbed at 12:30 in the afternoon with absolutely no organization. It took us at least 45 mintues to get up the funicular and at least another half an hour to get down, giving us about 30 minutes to explore Capri. When we did come down, the line going up was at least 3 times longer than what we had encountered. It was a total waste of time and money.

Thank you- I really appreciate the advice as well. We were thinking about doing the exact same thing. Princess offers a tour that covers both Pompeii & Capri, but it is more expensive. I was trying to decide if it was worth it or not- sounds like it is as it will guarantee we get back to the ship on time and we get to see both places.

We took the Best of Pompeii/Sorrento/Capri with Princess tours. Our first stop was Capri which I already addressed. We then went on to Sorrento and had a great lunch in a beautiful restaurant. After lunch we had about 20 minutes to explore Sorrento. We then moved on to Pompeii where we had the most time. Our Princess guide was excellent in Pompeii.

I do not feel like I saw and enjoyed Capri or Sorrento on this trip. All I can say is that I was there. This itinerary was too much for one day.

Thanks everyone! This is just the info I was looking for. I do need to remember that we are on vacation!!

Having visited the Mediterranean several times it is important to pace yourselves. Don't fill each day with tours and running around. See the most important places and spend sometime there. I know it is challenging but be sure to slow down to enjoy the moment.

It will be wonderful.

Enjoy!

Keith

We took the Best of Pompeii/Sorrento/Capri with Princess tours. Our first stop was Capri which I already addressed. We then went on to Sorrento and had a great lunch in a beautiful restaurant. After lunch we had about 20 minutes to explore Sorrento. We then moved on to Pompeii where we had the most time. Our Princess guide was excellent in Pompeii.

I do not feel like I saw and enjoyed Capri or Sorrento on this trip. All I can say is that I was there. This itinerary was too much for one day.

I completely agree.

To the OP: You may be able to say you "laid eyes on" Capri but really seeing it? You cannot do it in a half day, whether on a tour or on your own.

Thanks again for the info it is much appreciated! Anyone have any ideas on what we can do closer to port in the afternoon? Hopefully of some interest to a 13 yo boy.

I thought that Naples Underground (Napoli Sotterranea) was pretty interesting and that it would really appeal to a 13 year old. It's only a little over a mile from the cruise port, so you could walk it, or take a cab. Read more about it here: http://www.napolisotterranea.org/en/dovesiamo2352.html

(I imagine it's particularly nice in hot weather - it's quite cool down there.)

I would not do this. I think you will be way too rushed. Either do Capri or pick Pompeii and something else near the port.

Keith

I agree. You may be trying to do too much in one day. Things always take longer than you think and it is really more fun when you can take your time and enjoy the experience!:)

I was able to do Capri and Pompeii in 1 day with my Dad. Howver, we did not use an organized tour with the boat. Instead, we used a private company through http://www.capritime.com . We were picked up at the ship at 8 am via a driver and taken to Pompeii where we had a private guide show us around for about 2 hours, then we were taken to the hydrofoil station where the guide purchased our tickets for the 11:11 am hydrofoil to capri. It is an hour boat ride over. We then had lunch and met with our other guide that took us on a private boat tour around the island, through the blue grotto, and then swimming in the green grotto and just along the boat. I def. recommend the company, pompeii was very informative and the capri boat tour was amazing. The only downfall is that for 2 people it was rather expensive. While it is possible in one day, it still is a lot. I pre-purchased our hydrofoil tickets once we landed in Capri for the 4:30 boat back since the line was very long. Our ship had all aboard at 630, and I would not advise leaving any later than 4:30, since you won't get back to naples until 5:20 and want plenty of time to spare.

Archived