MS Nieuw Amsterdam, my humble report

Gerd

First I do apologize for late posting of this report, but the last day of our inaugural cruise was also my 58th Birthday...

And as always, please do not look for all my type-errors and other miss-typing, as English is not my "home-language"

How should I start ?

Well I try it in my way….

The Ms Nieuw Amsterdam is a big – I understand the biggest in its HAL very long tradition - but she is a very elegant vessel.

The manner the couloirs and the equipment all over the ship is presented is well chosen and nowhere to full or to fashion.

We do really like it.

The Inaugural procedure was done in 3 parts; and all with a glance and a surprising manner.

The dedication procedure started outside on the Venice harbor.

First they did something completely new, because they "presented" the new HAL vessel with all other active HAL vessels.

It was a kind of welcome to the fleet…

This was done while on board off a long convoy of 15 small power boats where one Captain and one Marine with a flag holding the name of the represented vessel while approaching our position.

When this starts, I was thinking, they use some cruise stuff for it, but indeed, there has been all active Captains who serve on the represented vessel, actually, the one who are at this moment at his home-leave. A very good idea indeed.

They lined up, just before the Godmother of the MS Nieuw Amsterdam – Here Royal Highness Princess of the Netherlands, Princess Maxima - arrived. She shakes hands with all off the proud Captains and proceeded inside of the Vessel.

Here I can imagine was some well-come protocol and also the obligatory Inaugural Luncheon.

At 15h the official dedication started.

It was hold inside the Show-Room at Sea. The program was very classy and well chosen, but we was a bit surprised that Princess Maxima did not hold a speak.

There was another surprise, because Princess Maxima signed on a nice blue board – more later on about it.

After the officially ceremony, another special act was coming up, actually popping-up. Because from the below level of the Show-Room, all the 15 Captain was standing lined-up and did surprisingly there appearance.

HAL President and CEO Stein Kruse did mention that it as the very first time of its long HAL tradition, that on a HAL vessel, all Captains of all its beautiful HAL ships was at the same time on board of one off their vessel => Well Done HAL

At the end, a extended photo session with all the Captains was given.

The third part of the inaugural was 2 days later – it was a sea day.

In the middle of the Lido pool was installed a bridge for the purpose of the "blessing of the bell" ceremony.

During the whole day, everybody could get a complementary glass of champagne, could go on the bridge and while a picture was taken, we could do our own dedication with the champagne.

Supplementary, everybody – so also the whole Crew, could meanwhile sign the above mentioned blue board.

Later on, there was the official ceremony. Stein Kruse did a speak, as well a Pastor did a sermon.

After that, some officials from HAL, from the Mariner Society, and off course Stein Kruse with his family, and our proud Captain Edward G. van Zaane with his wife proceede also the champagne glass over the bell.

(Side-remark) I hope they exchanged the contents of the pool water after that day, because at least 3´500 glass of Champagne was versed over the bell -> so into the pool.

If not, one could certainly became drunken while afterwards swimming in this pool.

Stein Kruse announced, that the blue board will be taken on land because some surface treatment work would be done for protection, and later on, for the whole, long live of the vessel, they will be placed inside the MS Nieuw Amsterdam.

So all Inaugural participants will be forever readable from all its future Crews and guests.

Stein Kruse mentioned that also this is done for the very first time – and again, well done HAL about this much appreciated gesture.

There was a Stein Kruse reception where we are been invited - but I´m sure, my invitation was wrong emitted because there was, a part of us, only HAL corporate members.

Anyway, during his speak he told about the history of its planning’s of the MS Nieuw Amsterdam. They have had several time exchanged the interior of the vessel, as also the manner of the dedication ceremony.

Another surprise, even for the 15 Captains, was a gift from HAL to all its vessels.

Stein Kruse gave to all 15 Captains a very nice white 50 by 90 cm flag with the name of their representing vessels on.

They should, and did it with a lot of fun, sign on all the flags and later on, represent the flag inside the bridge or any public room on they’re given vessels.

Stein Kruse, the Captain and the Mariner Society head holds also a talk and discussion forum inside the ShowRoom.

His reflection about its HAL history and future was well done.

But some questions from the passengers was a bit off-talk.

Apart of the already mentioned ones, all along the first 10 day inaugural cruise where hold a Marine appreciation day, a Mariner Luncheon in the Manhattan Dining Room, as well a reception for all Dutch guest onboard.

We did receive a 45 cm in diameter inaugural ceramic plate, a 20 by 20 cm inaugural ceramic, and the standard Mariner ceramic => always per person!!

And also a nice inaugural picture with Princess Maxima.

Contrary to the on this board well mentioned strange treatment from former dedication, I should tell you, that we never have had the same feeling.

They did a lot to fulfill with a standard dedication procedure while well integrating all there official guest and the passenger – so we are very satisfied because our wishes are been extended to more then we could hope.

I did voluntary only mention all our appreciation till here – because for our feeling and looking around, there were only some small, if even no dits and dots.

We did not find its "RevNeal" step, nor other annoying thinks all over and around all public areas.

But one problem was remarkable.

I guess Fincantiery does install air condition systems like the Italian football (soccer) did during the just terminated world champion chip.

Because starting on day 5, the temperature all over the vessel started to rise. Till into a real fiasco on the day 9 of the inaugural cruise.

The temperature was so high, and meanwhile everywhere was a well recognizing smelt of a very high humidity factor.

It was so beside of normal, that the evening show inside the ShowRoom was canceled because of a slipping humid stage.....

The announcement mentioned a need of several hours, and indeed, they fixed the problem finally during the night.

HAL´s problem is still their paper work :

=> We did receive the invitation for the Maxima Luncheon in the Manhattan Dining Room only on the evening of that day…..

One has to please at the front office for its 3 star Mariner amenities.

We also was obliged to ask for the new Mariner pins, because an auto delivering is not foreseen !!

The most stupid remark was, that "we are working actually to send also something via E-Mail to the outside of the US"

=> I work there where the Internet and its E-Mail system is invented, and if you have a computer with Internet, then sending from Seattle to Miami, or Hawaii, Hong Kong and also to Berlin cost just nothing……

We did not receive the Mariner embarkation invitation as our friends did receive it for yesterday July 14 !!

I "collected" 3 different Mariner days on 3 different HAL registration papers for this 2 cruises, and the front office needed 4 days to confirm me the correct one count.

We where surprised about the degradation of the Crows Nest usage into a well abandoned area….

There is even no more a dedicated place for a Crows Nest Band, but a Piano and a small dancing floor persist => HAL why you toke away those marvelous Filipino Crows Nest Band ????

But anyway, we do like to be on this brand new HAL vessel.

The Crew is as always marvelous, very friendly with a non-stop smile.

The mixture of the Crew onboard is well done in a manner, that one does not see missing training.

And we do look forward to our 12 days collectors cruise on this elegant vessel, now down to Istanbul.

Happy cruising

G E R D

Our marvelous cruises : :)

MS Ryndam - Wayfarer - March 1997

MS Noordam - Transatlantic Island Hook - April 2001

MS Volendam - Southern Caribbean - April 2002

MS Volendam - Westfarer Caribbean - April 2004

MS Prinsendam - Windmills & Waterford - September 2004

MS Westerdam - Western Caribbean - April 2005

MS Statendam - Hawaii Circle - September 2005

MS Rotterdam - Vikings and Czars - July 2006

MS Veendam - Southern Caribbean - March 2007

MS Volendam - Panama Canal - April 2008

MS Noordam - Mediterranean Enchantment - September 2009

MS Nieuw Amsterdam – Inaugural Cruise – July 2010

146 days - 36'692 Nm :

3starMariner.gif

Future Cruise : :p

12-day Mediterranean Empires :

a4ed661628a8d0b24f580e2daed576d0.png

Thanks so much for your report, Gerg. I really enjoyed reading it and you added things I had not yet heard re: the Dedication though I read as much about it as I found on line.

We are eager to sail Nieuw Amsterdam.

....First I do apologize for late posting of this report, but the last day of our inaugural cruise was also my 58th Birthday...

I was terribly disappointed to see the Nieuw is another Eurodam and more like the Queen Elizabeth with all the additional decks above the bridge. Holland America even got the boat deck Grill facility found on the QV and QE. A very lazy design I thought. I wish these Carnival brands would stop looking like each other.

Thank You Gerd!!

I really appreciate your review and am green with envy that you've been able to enjoy her inagural sailing;)

HAPPY 58th BIRTHDAY!!!

Thankfully, I will be able to see all the wonders of our new ship when I board her on 28 November.

Joanie

Thank you. I thought the dedication was well done; especially the introduction of the captains and the blue board. Nice touch. I hope the air conditioning is totally fixed especially for our Med. Sea cruise. Thanks again for your excellent review!

P.S.: I emailed a tour guide in Greece and got a report back within the hour. That totally amazed me! So if I can do it, HAL can do it!

Thanks for your report. It sounds like the big problem was the airconditioning. It takes a while to get all the "bugs " out of a new crusie ship. This will hopefully be done by the time I board her in late Febrruary.

Thank you, Gerd, for the report. Incidentally, I am most gratified to finally find someone who is as upset as I am over the changes which have taken place in the Crow's Nest and, especially, the discontinuance of the Filipinoo bands. I think that whoever made those decisions about the Crow's Nest has their head so far up an unmentionable portion of their anatomy that they are intimately familiar with total and absolute darkness.

Gerd,

This was a very wonderful report and I enjoyed reading it.

You mentioned many details that were very interesting and not in other reviews.

I will be on her in February and can not wait to see how they might have improved on the beautiful Eurodam.

Thank you again,

r.

Archived