What is the longest anyone has been at sea?

beynac

16 day cruise for my honeymoon from Auckland, stops in Tauranga, Pappette, Moorea, Bora Bora, Hilo, Lahaina, ending in Honolulu. Magnificent. Would go again in a heartbeat if time and $$ allowed, but alas, I owe I owe so off to work I go.

Could definitely do a month or so, longer than that, maybe.

I had a little day-dream the other day about boarding a ship for several B2B2B's, on a ship that's doing some type of loop route from, say, Miami, through the canal, out to Hawaii, and then through Alaska, etc.

We're one of Celebrity's cruise addicts. I like to think that we're practicing for a world cruise which would take from 90 to 100 days or so. Last year we started cruising out of Bayonne on October 3rd, cruised B2B to Quebec (28 days) and while Connie relocated to Miami we drove home (500 miles), did some chores and drove to Miami (1500 miles) and reboarded 9 days later for 3 more 14 day cruises. We were onboard from October 3rd to Dec 20th except for the 9 day repositioning cruise.

On January 1st we drove to Florida again and boarded Equinox January 4th, followed by a B2B on Solstice, and a B2B on Constellation. (3 ships 8 weeks). Three weeks later we cruised from Florida through the canal to San Diego and back on Infinity.

We seldom get off the ship and cruise for the sake of cruising. There are a few other couples who are addicted as we are, cruising from 20 to 30 weeks a year and, like us, with 120-140 Captain's Club cruise credits. There is one lady, well known to Perry Grant fans, that will celebrate her 100th Celebrity cruise as well as her 100th Connie cruise in February. You do not tire of the experience if you like being treated well, get entertained daily, and participate in events.

After our Infinity cruise we were "cruised out"; we were sated.

The highlight of every cruise was the afternoon experience with fellow cruisers in Michael's Club.

In 2008-2009, we did 71 consecutive days on Crystal Symphony: Los Angeles, down the west coast of South America, to Antarctica, up the east coast of South America to Miami, to Costa Rica through the Panama Canal, back through the Canal to Miami. I still wasn't ready to get off the ship after 21 days, DH was ready at the first Miami stop!

Ricki

I had a little day-dream the other day about boarding a ship for several B2B2B's, on a ship that's doing some type of loop route from, say, Miami, through the canal, out to Hawaii, and then through Alaska, etc.

It just got me wondering what the longest anyone has been on a ship at sea (consecutively).

93 Days, 89 of them consecutively submerged

What was that like?

It was like living in a pair of double-wide trailers with 149 of your closest friends

Was it strange seeing different passengers churn through, or was it hard bid adieu to those you enjoyed?

Same faces, every day. It would have been quite strange to encounter a new face

Did it ever get old hitting the same places for meals?

Why yes........yes it did

Did your cabin ever feel too cramped?

I shared my 12 foot by 28 foot "cabin" with 23 "friends".....seriously, but normally less than half of us were sleeping at the same time

Was is just heaving(heaven?) watching (literally) the world go by your window?

Window?? Even the Captain had an inside cabin

Please share so I can live vicariously through you!!

PS. I know this isn't a Celebrity-specific question, but this is the board I stalk the most. It seems HAL is more into these types of saga ship journeys for passengers, no?

I'm just glad I was too young at the time to realize that I shouldn't have been having that much fun. :)

I have looked at this issue very seriously. The only issue is my cat. I couldn't be away from him that long. Maybe when he passes to cat nip heaven, I can plan.

Boy, I hear you on this!!

Our sweet hymmie/persian recently went to cat-nip heaven. We had a 7-day cruise booked prior to him getting sick. When he passed, I added another cruise to that one. Once the tears finally let up, I said, "hey hon, how does 30 days sound.....?" Sounded good enough to book it! :)

To date, our longest cruise was 11 day ... but we do dream of a world cruise some day ...

I wish I had the link for a man who cruises HAL and has a travel blog where he posts wonderful pictures of his adventures. If my memory serves me right he boarded a ship in July last year and continued sailing through April of the following year (his last segment he joined the world cruise) His pictures are wonderful .... If I can find the link I'll post it later....I think I have it on my old PC.

I agree with the OP .. the HAL board has numerous posters who have taken long cruises and several of them post daily updates ... I look forward to checking the HAL boards every January to see who's heading out on a world cruise ...I love to read the daily updates about the ports of call and life on board ship.

Once we retire I think we'll start out with 3 weeks and then build from there to see how we like being on board for longer periods of time ..in the interim, I'll keep dreaming about a world cruise! :D

Met a lady on the Royal Princess last summer in Europe, She had over 5300 days on the Royal Princess.

Needless to say she doesn't compete in the most nights contest.One crew member was assigned to take care of her any desire.

I found her to be very friendly and easy to talk to.

To date, our longest cruise was 11 day ... but we do dream of a world cruise some day ...

I wish I had the link for a man who cruises HAL and has a travel blog where he posts wonderful pictures of his adventures. If my memory serves me right he boarded a ship in July last year and continued sailing through April of the following year (his last segment he joined the world cruise) His pictures are wonderful .... If I can find the link I'll post it later....I think I have it on my old PC.

I agree with the OP .. the HAL board has numerous posters who have taken long cruises and several of them post daily updates ... I look forward to checking the HAL boards every January to see who's heading out on a world cruise ...I love to read the daily updates about the ports of call and life on board ship.

Once we retire I think we'll start out with 3 weeks and then build from there to see how we like being on board for longer periods of time ..in the interim, I'll keep dreaming about a world cruise! :D

I think you're talking about this. i found it again; i refered to it as well on a previous post, the guy's name is Jeff

http://amazingvoyages.blogspot.com/

i stopped following last time he went home but it appears as if he's cruising again. :)

I think you're talking about this. i found it again; i refered to it as well on a previous post, the guy's name is Jeff

http://amazingvoyages.blogspot.com/

i stopped following last time he went home but it appears as if he's cruising again. :)

Thanks for the link duly saved to my favourites. I love reading things like this.

Phil

Undoubtedly, the winner is Edward Everett Hale's Man Without a Country. Let's see, did he die at the end, or do we see him as he thinks he is dying? If not, he has been at sea since 1863 -- gosh, I guess he must have died at sea. Anyway, a clear winner of the longest at sea prize. :):)

Bill

Thanks for the link duly saved to my favourites. I love reading things like this.

Phil

I was reading his blog again and discovering his older world and mega cruises. He said he cruised on Celebrity 48 times in two years before he "jumped ship" over to HAL who were more helpful in planning the world/long trips.

I laughed when he said there was a 24 day break and that wasn't long enough to go home, do laundry, get settled and packed again so he just booked cruises for that portion of time as well! one of his trips was over 200 days!

Undoubtedly, the winner is Edward Everett Hale's Man Without a Country. Let's see, did he die at the end, or do we see him as he thinks he is dying? If not, he has been at sea since 1863 -- gosh, I guess he must have died at sea. Anyway, a clear winner of the longest at sea prize. :):)

Bill

Don't think so.. There's still the Flying Dutchman...

The Flying Dutchman, according to folklore, is a ghost ship that can never go home, doomed to sail the oceans forever. The first reference in print to the ship itself appears in Chapter VI of George Barrington's Voyage to Botany Bay (1795):

I was reading his blog again and discovering his older world and mega cruises. He said he cruised on Celebrity 48 times in two years before he "jumped ship" over to HAL who were more helpful in planning the world/long trips.

I laughed when he said there was a 24 day break and that wasn't long enough to go home, do laundry, get settled and packed again so he just booked cruises for that portion of time as well! one of his trips was over 200 days!

I haven't sat down and read the blog yet, but I will. If you have ever watched Michael Palin's "Around the World in 80 Days" it is the days he spends at sea that I enjoy the most. His 'short' hop from Athens to Alexandria, his trip in a dhow to India (the best episode), his voyage in the Pacific, his crossing of the Atlantic. I love the sea. I want to live by the sea and take some time to journey across it. The only thing that makes me nervous is the thought that I might tire of it if I actually do it. In the meantime I look forward and am envious of those that can experience it more fully than I can.

Phil

we did a world cruise on P&O Aurora. It was for 12 weeks and it was superb. Missed the family, but saw places we will never ever see again. Next year a 10 week one on Arcadia, but this year just 12 days on Constellation to the Baltic. Am looking forward to that one just as much. We go on July 27th from Amsterdam, anyone going?:)

Archived