QV Insect Invasion!!

northernsailor

Just spotted on the webcam whilst she is in St Petersburg... :D

Hope everyone has their balcony doors closed!

Cheeky little devils! I wonder if they've just had a shower of rain. Those look a bit like flying ants. If they are, they will be dead in a couple of hours.

J

Look like dragonflies to me. That happened to us on Royal Princess in Montevideo. Dragonflies everywhere! EM

Ummmm... I don't think they're dragonflies. I've never seen a dragonfly rest with it's wings along its back like that. There's an image here of flying ants though, and they look kind of similar.

J

Maybe Billet's ant grew wings, migrated and multiplied! :eek:

Well, you could be right - but last time I looked Billet's ant was still belting round and round like mad trapped in his avatar.

In Zimbabwe when the flying ants swarm, they only keep their wings for a couple hours. When the wings drop off the ants fall to the ground and the little kids eat them. Apparently they are sweet - although I can't confirm that as I've never eaten one. Anyone feel like getting back to discussing head cheese?

:eek::eek:

J

Well, you could be right - but last time I looked Billet's ant was still belting round and round like mad trapped in his avatar.

In Zimbabwe when the flying ants swarm, they only keep their wings for a couple hours. When the wings drop off the ants fall to the ground and the little kids eat them. Apparently they are sweet - although I can't confirm that as I've never eaten one. Anyone feel like getting back to discussing head cheese?

:eek::eek:

J

Cruachan you've given me an idea for the Grills menu: Act One- Head Cheese. Final Final- chocolate covered ants. :D

And for those wanting to make that dessert at home, the recipe is here: http://www.chefdepot.net/chocolateants.htm

Unfortunately, I'm stumped as to what dessert wine would best bring out the flavor :eek: but no doubt the sommelier will know.

Cruachan you've given me an idea for the Grills menu: Act One- Head Cheese. Final Final- chocolate covered ants. :D

And for those wanting to make that dessert at home, the recipe is here: http://www.chefdepot.net/chocolateants.htm

Unfortunately, I'm stumped as to what dessert wine would best bring out the flavor :eek: but no doubt the sommelier will know.

No no - that's good old rustic peasant food. You don't want a dessert wine. You want a nice light beer. What's that Antiguan one called? Wadadli or something - that should do the trick :D

J

No no - that's good old rustic peasant food. You don't want a dessert wine. You want a nice light beer. What's that Antiguan one called? Wadadli or something - that should do the trick :D

J

Wadadli will do the trick ... as will Red Stripe, Dos Equis, Stella .. ;)

Just spotted on the webcam whilst she is in St Petersburg... :D

4798614243_fd58069029_o.jpg

Hope everyone has their balcony doors closed!

They look similer to May flies. These don't bite, but during their mating season(late spring to mid summer)they swarm everywhere. The males die off pretty quick after the mating's been done(Yes, ladies I know for some, that might be a dream come true LOL!)

On a hot day a rock shandy or Chibuku would do the trick, or if not available a Lion or a Castle.

Maybe you can also eat mayflies, but when I looked them up on line, it doesn't look like there's much meat on them.

Still, they are both better than those rather nasty Scottish midges which inhabit my parents back yard in summer. You tend to inhale rather than eat them. Give my a flying ant any day (or night)

On a hot day a rock shandy or Chibuku would do the trick, or if not available a Lion or a Castle.

Well, in my wild youth I'd have joined you in a Lion (or a Castle) or 30 but I'm afraid I'd have to pass on the ole Chibuku. I tried it once and once was enough :eek:.

Mind you Zimbabwe wine was pretty good stuff - if you liked a cheeky little battery acid. Excellent if you wanted to drink for effect :D

J

We picked up a nice little group/swarm of bees or wasps on the QV maiden Panama Canal cruise. Well we thought they were nice till someone reportedly got stung. I think they stayed on for quite awhile...like almost to hawaii.

Denise

Archived