Baltimore looses out again

howiefrommd

I don't think it's up to the Port of Baltimore to advise cruisers on the utilization of a ship. There's hundred of posts right here on CC regarding how long before hitting "warm weather" from Baltimore. I would think most people check a weather site or simply understand that cruising from a Mid-Atlantic port is not the same as cruising from Florida, regardless of the season, and it may take 1-3 days before the outdoor decks can be enjoyed.

That was actually part of the appeal for me. Leave the chilly weather behind and head where the seas were warmer. A stop in Charleston and then down to St Thomas. We left Baltimore in what was a relatively balmy 70 degree late November day. Twelve days later we returned to 32 and snow. We really felt like we'd been somewhere! We had a really nice stay in Baltimore.

Phil

That was actually part of the appeal for me. Leave the chilly weather behind and head where the seas were warmer. A stop in Charleston and then down to St Thomas. We left Baltimore in what was a relatively balmy 70 degree late November day. Twelve days later we returned to 32 and snow. We really felt like we'd been somewhere! We had a really nice stay in Baltimore. Phil

Hi Phil. Yes, if you want fickle weather, Baltimore is the place. :D

We currently have Florida-like weather with temps in the 90's and high humidity. It's sauna, steam bath stifling.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Baltimore and felt like you had been somewhere! ;)

Hello? Celebrity? Don't forget about NORFOLK!!!!! I know it's not as centrally located but it IS a nice port & it's underused ... & you can put bigger ships there!

I'm hoping for Norfolk too. icon14.gif

Bob

Baltimore seems to have had an on/off relationship with Celebrity which is a shame because we left from there a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I think the issue used to be the lack of investment in the cruise port at Baltimore. Aside from the cruise port buildings, Galaxy got stuck for a few hours because the water wasn't dredged deep enough and it got caught by the tide. Has that all been put right now?

It does come down to money and the new itineraries look great. Celebrity obviously feel they may make better money from the new sailings and are willing to give it a try again. To my mind it gives them a much more "Worldwide" feel and I'll definitely be looking at the new itineraries when they are out.

Phil

Galaxy got stuck at the old port of Baltimore - the Dundalk Marine Terminal. Baltimore built a really nice new port, and Carnival is committed to year round sailing, as well as RCL with Enchantment.

I am really sorry to see Celebrity leave Baltimore - that is my favorite port. And Celebrity is my favorite cruise.

Cape Bayonne and RCL at Baltimore. What a choice.:(

We really enjoy the cruise port at Locust Point. It is so easy to get to and then to get out of town from. For some reason the Mid-Atlantic ports (i.e. Baltimore and Norfolk) can't seem to keep the cruise lines happy. But kudos to RCL and Carnival to continue using Baltimore. HAL has entirely left the Mid-Atlantic. It is only an hour up to Baltimore and three hours down to Norfolk. We enjoyed going down to Norfolk and taking the Maasdam from there. Norfolk built their new cruise terminal and now is used very rarely. I spoke with a representative from HAL last year at a cruising forum and he was unable to give a reason for leaving the Mid-Atlantic area. All he could say was "We are looking at coming back to the area." The ports cover Pa, Md, Wva, Ohio, Va and NC. A large population to draw passengers from.

For some reason the Mid-Atlantic ports (i.e. Baltimore and Norfolk) can't seem to keep the cruise lines happy. I spoke with a representative from HAL last year at a cruising forum and he was unable to give a reason for leaving the Mid-Atlantic area.

Baffles me also.

Cruise Maryland

Consumers: Strategically located in the heart of the largest and wealthiest region in the country. Eight million consumers with a median household income of almost $68,080 live within an easy drive.

http://www.cruisemaryland.com/aboutcruisemaryland.htm

Thanks for the info on the parking coming fron NY 15.00 a day is not bad at all. If we do this cruise we will probably drive trying to avoid flying & having to worry about luggage etc. Any answers to what side of the ship is better to book a balcony cabin?

Let me start by saying I LOVE THE PORT OF BALTIMORE!!!

But one of the problems with it is the time it takes to get up and down the Chesapeake. Because of this they can be at themercy of the tides, and the ship HAS to be hooked up to have the sewage pumped out when it arrives, because the sewage can't be released until it's off the coast for a think 10 miles.

Just last November, a day or tow after we left Baltimore on the Mercury, the Grandeur of the Seas was stuck in Baltimore for an extra day, because the opening of the Chesapeake was closed because of high waves.

I HOPE Celebrity will reconsider it choice to leave Baltimore, and this is only temporary!

Take Care,

Jaime

I, also, am bummed about the loss of a ship at Baltimore. However, pricing for cruises out of Baltimore makes me think that bookings are slow. We are booked on Enchantment for December, and have already gotten 2 price drops. I know that fares are also relatively low on Pride and Mercury. If there is not enough support for Baltimore that they can command decent fares, ships are not going to stay there. I wish the Port of Baltimore could do more in the way of PR to get people to realize that even in cold weather, there will be plenty to do onboard (including the indoor pools), and also that it doesn't take all that long to get south enough for warmth.

Royal Caribbean has always been my favorite cruise line and now I wish I would have booked the Enchantment from Baltimore. instead of the Mercury. I guess money is the reason Century isn't coming to Baltimore.

Disappointing to me as I was looking at Baltimore as a drive-to port from Ontario. In fact we are booked on Mercury's last cruise in February.

Looks like it will be RCCL out of Bayonne or Silhouette at premium prices.

I'm in Chesterfield too!! Wouldn't Norfolk be wonderful? And, like I said, they could put the bigger ships there.

I'm hoping with the addition of the Silhouette in Bayonne in late 2011, the Summit will be deploying to Norfolk in the spring of 2012.

The Carnival Glory is 110,000 tons, currently sails from Norfolk and it's larger from the Summit, 92,000. Norfolk will be able to accommodate the Summit or any other M-Class ship.

As for Baltimore, MD: I know a new terminal was built there; does the ships have to go under the bridge? If that's the case the Summit will not fit.

Bob

I am from Baltimore and was extremely disappointed to find that Celebrity is not going to be using our Port any more.

The cruise port is not far from where I live, a very short drive, easily accessible and highly convenient.

I had planned on booking a cruise with Celebrity for next year out of Baltimore, obviously that can't be done now.

More business for RCL and Carnival now.

As for Baltimore, MD: I know a new terminal was built there; does the ships have to go under the bridge? If that's the case the Summit will not fit.

Bob

Yep, there's a bridge so only Century & Mercury can fit.

Two bridges. The Francis Scott Key Bridge and The Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

But don't you go OVER the tunnel part of the Ches Bay Bridge-Tunnel? I'm pretty sure you do. I watched the road disappear into the bay as I cruised over it on my 3 Balt cruises. Don't remember going under the Ches Bay Bridge-Tunnel.

But don't you go OVER the tunnel part of the Ches Bay Bridge-Tunnel? I'm pretty sure you do. I watched the road disappear into the bay as I cruised over it on my 3 Balt cruises. Don't remember going under the Ches Bay Bridge-Tunnel.

First you sail under the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, then you sail under the 2 spans of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge which is just south of Annapolis. After both bridges, you then sail over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel which is near Virginia Beach.

These photos were taken from the Carnival Pride from Baltimore by CC member Radio. ;)

Francis Scott Key Bridge

A28-th.jpg

Chesapeake Bay Bridge

S14-th.jpg

If you have first seating for dinner, you probably have never been aware of going under those bridges!:) It usually happens about 30-45 minutes for the first one, and 2 hours after sailing for the second one.

The tunnel you're thinking of is right at the mouth of the Chesapeake before entering into the Atlantic, about 8-10 hours after leaving Baltimore.

I actually love spending as much time as I can out on my balcony as we cruise down the Chesapeake...it's very peaceful and relaxing, and a GREAT way to start a cruise!

~Jaime

I always thought the prices of Baltimore cruises were always really high. Plus the choice of places to go was not always the best. It either takes too long to get down to the Carrib, or its to Bermuda where it cost 28339388.00 per person.

So, it's not surprising that they are leaving. I would be happy to see a bit more Cruises to Nowhere. I'm happy when I'm on the boat, and sometimes think the whole crowds and pure Tourist selling is a bit ridiculous in many ports.

Perhaps the reason the reason cruise lines aren't thrilled with mid-Altlantic ports is the fuel costs to go south. Personally I am thrilled to be able to save the cost and hassle of a plane ride in order to take a cruise.

I understand that cruising from Baltimore in Winter months might be nuts

but maybe its a chance to fully explore the indoor cruising experience. Hope so!

Interesting that RCL, Norwegian, and Carnival are staying in Baltimore. I suspect the issue may be that Celebrity was running longer cruises that don't appeal to a lot of people. Kind of limits the market to older folks (no kids in school and more years on the job to get more vacation days).

We were told by some ship staff (both on Celebrity from Baltimore and Princess from NY) that the lines love the days at sea - more opportunity to separate the pax from their money. That's another killer for Celebrity - few or no stops at company ports (Labadee, the new Jamaica port for Oasis, and CoCo Cay are RCL owned, Grand Turk is owned by Carnival).

j

Here's a shot of the Pride about to go under the twin spans of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. I took it May 2009 from the Blues Festival at Sandy Point State Park. Pretty amazing shot... everyone at the festival was grimacing...as if to imply that she didn't look as if she were going to make it! :eek:

I too am really disappointed about Baltimore losing the Mercury. I am only about 20 min away, easy for a friend to just drive/drop us off. I had wanted to take my kids next spring. We were so excited at the prospect of having it so easy to get to; our only other cruise was out of FLL and it was a nightmare -- and never with Carnival again either, also not a good experience. sorry cant figure out how to not make this a thumbnail pic...click on it for full size I think?

DSC04636-1.jpg.41557e5e93c1f35386bdfc2ef0358a3f.jpg

Only RCL and Carnival will be using Baltimore as a Homeport after February 2011.:( Other cruiselines will be stopping by still as port visits, but with everything it takes to get those bigger ships under the bridges (LOTS of ballast), it just isn't worth the time for a regular schedule. (Pride of Hawaii and Grand Princess have both visited the Port of Baltimore!)

Take Care,

Jaime

Archived