Ideas for Mykonos

deborah66

We have a full day in Mykonos- 8-4 though we do tender- which takes away at least one hour, so its more like 9-3- what do people recommend in terms of touring the island- sites to see- any excursions that you have done on your own. We are a family of 6- two kids- four adults- Thanks!

It is a beautiful, laid-back island, and very "walkable." No guide needed. Just wander around, take photos, and visit the shops (nice things to buy, from sweaters to jewelry). On our trips there, we've always just hung around the main port area, although there may be other areas worth visiting. Be sure and see the windmills.

We enjoy two activities in Mykonos (been there many times). 1. Just walking around, browsing, and spending cafe time in Mykonos time. and 2. Going to the beach (we usually grab the local bus to Paradise although there are quite a few other options.

Hank

It is a beautiful, laid-back island, and very "walkable." No guide needed. Just wander around, take photos, and visit the shops (nice things to buy, from sweaters to jewelry). On our trips there, we've always just hung around the main port area, although there may be other areas worth visiting. Be sure and see the windmills.

Agee with Hank and others that just "walking around" can be great fun. Here are some of my visuals to share on what's there in lovely Mykonos to see and love.

Getting a rental car and seeing the beach areas might be a potential, but with the size of your group and limited time, that might not be possible.

You can also do a search on this thread and gets lots more previous posts to review and consider.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Narrow flowered street in Mykonos with its many shops:

1A-Myk-FlowerStreet.jpg

Harbor view in Mykonos and one of the charming windmills:

1A-Mykonos-Harbor.jpg

At the fish docks in Mykonos:

1A-Myk-FishDock.jpg

The famed windmills overlooking Mykonos:

Mik4WindMill.jpg

A Mykonos church with a dining area in front of this building:

MikChurDining.jpg

Mykonos’ market and outside dining area overlooking the harbor:

MikMarket.jpg

Well, to me the entire point of a stop at Mykonos is to get to Delos, one of the most important sanctuaries of the ancient world! It is an amazing site and well worth seeing. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/med.html

There are lots of Greek isles where you can "just walk around" and absorb the atmosphere. Delos is one of those places in the world that are in a class by themselves.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I agree that Delos is a don't miss sight. It is astonishing.

I would recommend doing a guided tour, however to help put the sights in perspective. Our "Greek guidess" was truly excellent. From our travels, I can say that the quality of a the guide is the single most important factor in our enjoyment and understanding of a historical/archaeological site. Certainly they will be offered on the ship. If not, I am certain that tour providers would be available in Mykonos. You can just buy tickets to the same ferry the ship excursions use at the pier, I believe.

Afterward, you should have plenty of time for walking around - and hopefully grabbing a nice lunch and cold Mythos beer. (We enjoyed a garden courtyard restaurant called "Island Oasis")

Mark

I agree that with the amount of time you have, you can probably see Delos and also a little of Mykonos town. Delos is a must-see if you have an interest in the ancient world. Mykonos is worth a wander, with twisty, narrow streets and some great spots for photos (colorful boats, windmills, etc).

I agree. We had more than enough time walking around after we came back from Delos. We also enjoyed our 2.5euros gyros at this family-run restaurant called Spilia.

DSCN5467.jpg

TLCOhio, can you tell me how to post several pictures on one post? I can only do one at a time using Photobucket. Thanks!

TLCOhio, can you tell me how to post several pictures on one post? I can only do one at a time using Photobucket. Thanks!

Thanks for your question. I use Photobucket, also, to store my pictures for web postings and to create the "imbedded" code that makes it all work. Six is the maximum number that can used at any time on these boards and I have never had any trouble doing that quantity of posted pictures. If you check my posting from our recent Norway cruise, you will see lots and lots of pictures. It's working for me.

I assume you upload to Photobucket, then copy that code to your files. Then you copy and paste it in the Cruise Critic box where you are writing your message. Right?

If you quote an earlier question from someone else and it has a "smiley" or some other graphic in it, that will count as one of your "graphics".

Reactions or added info?

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

Thanks for your question. I use Photobucket, also, to store my pictures for web postings and to create the "imbedded" code that makes it all work. Six is the maximum number that can used at any time on these boards and I have never had any trouble doing that quantity of posted pictures. If you check my posting from our recent Norway cruise, you will see lots and lots of pictures. It's working for me.

I assume you upload to Photobucket, then copy that code to your files. Then you copy and paste it in the Cruise Critic box where you are writing your message. Right?

If you quote an earlier question from someone else and it has a "smiley" or some other graphic in it, that will count as one of your "graphics".

Reactions or added info?

Thanks, Terry. I will have to try that. Enjoyed many of your photos from different threads.

Archived