Horse racing on board

MOONMOUNTAIN

I have not seen this in a while....

Then I might have just missed it....

I remember back on an RCCL cruise they bid for the horse and decorated them.....It was a silent auction...The average horse cost was $1200 and there were 6 horses....Winner (of a horse from the aution) takes all but the house got 10% of the auction....Two on deck races during the week with betting....

I was just thinking back and on one of the cruise the 6 couple got together their horses and I must say it was funnier than funny.....Harrass, Blueballs, Scratch and the other three I will refrain from saying....I thought I'd wet my pants and prolly did...The assistant CD had it all worked out for calling the race too......

I love the good ole days.......

Then again too on that cruise on the last day the building/rollover bingo was played....

Fill you card first ( within so many calls)and you win.

Yep...the jackpot was $23,000 for that cruise and someone won....

We were on the Elation Panama cruise in May and they did horse racings a couple of times. It was at the pool in the afternoon. A friend of ours did it the first time. I was only a couple dollars a bet. Then the odds are set and off they go. It was silly fun. Lynda

Haven't seen it on Carnival in a few years. They definitely had it, as once dd was one of the "jockeys" that moved the horse around as the dice were rolled. They did it in the showroom, and the horses moved from the stage, down the stairs, around the aisles, back up the other set of stairs, back to the stage. Was a lot of fun. The owners brought the horses everywhere - set them on a chair in the dining room, at the pool, you name it. The horses that sold first went the cheapest. The bidding went higher and higher as the horses were sold. Wouldn't mind seeing it brought back.

• 6 months later...

This is a photo from a Carnival cruise a few years ago. Horse racing was held in the theatre and there was an owners auction early in the week and you had to carry the horses around throughout the ship because the more you loved your horse the more your horse would want to win the owners auction. You got to decorate it. I love horse racing and was sad RCCL stopped it and am hoping carnival will still do it!

scan0002.jpg.78adf926ed8cb178258315c9048b8b32.jpg

I have not seen this in a while....

Then I might have just missed it....

I remember back on an RCCL cruise they bid for the horse and decorated them.....It was a silent auction...The average horse cost was $1200 and there were 6 horses....Winner (of a horse from the aution) takes all but the house got 10% of the auction....Two on deck races during the week with betting....

I was just thinking back and on one of the cruise the 6 couple got together their horses and I must say it was funnier than funny.....Harrass, Blueballs, Scratch and the other three I will refrain from saying....I thought I'd wet my pants and prolly did...The assistant CD had it all worked out for calling the race too......

I love the good ole days.......

Then again too on that cruise on the last day the building/rollover bingo was played....

Fill you card first ( within so many calls)and you win.

Yep...the jackpot was $23,000 for that cruise and someone won....

We played the horses on the Legend last April. They controlled the horses and I bought tickets. The odds were determined on the amount of tickets sold. I won $50.00.

When we were on the Island Princess back in 2004 We had the Horse auction the day before the race. We paid $180 for our three legged horse named "Gus". Well Gus won and we wound up winning almost $500.00.and two bottles of champagne. I was hammered and had a blast!

Me either .. which makes me wonder why people are hoping to see it on their next cruise, something that dissapeared years ago. :confused:

A select few cruise directors have chosen to re-introduce the event on some sailings. Todd Wittmer being one.

Me either .. which makes me wonder why people are hoping to see it on their next cruise, something that dissapeared years ago. :confused:

six cruises on Carnival, 1st horse, 2 no horse, 3 horse, 4th horse, 5th and 6th no horse. I thought it was up to CD.

Years ago we went on a cruise that had Steve Cassel as the cruise director and he had a Pig Race instead, or in addition to (don't remember), the Horseracing. People bought those battery operated pigs they sold I'm thinking at a store at one of the ports or maybe on the ship. He ran the race out on the pool deck. It was hysterical as these little piggies snorted their way along to the finish line with Steve giving a play by play as they went. He was one of the few cruise directors that I found to be really memorable...but that's a whole 'nother thread - lol.

Archived