Whats jersey week, and why is that bad if we are crusing over it?

• 6 months later...

The convention is usually in AC. A lot of families choose to go to Florida and the Disney/Universal attractions.

In all our cruises never met many folks from our neck of the woods. However, have never taken the Explorer. I heard that one of the Freedom ships will be relocated to Bayonne in late '12 and I'll probably try it. We don't like to loose days to cooler/inclimate days.

would you change dates of your cruise because of it?

We did a cruise on the Explorer out of Cape Liberty a couple years ago....unaware that it was a school holiday. 800 teens on board. They tore up the teen disco....tore phones off the wall among other things. Hung around the stairways and wouldnt get up to let adults through. Threw things from upper deck onto the pool deck. We couldnt wait to get off the ship. A couple families were actually put off the ship in Curacao. The only way I would go during Jersey Week is if it were free and even then I would probably not go.

lol, I was going to say, if you are worried about cruising with Jersey folks, you probably should never go on the Explorer. The question 'where are you from' more often than not is just shorthand for 'where in NJ are you from?'.

As a Jersey girl myself I love it.

Went on the Explorer last summer, early June. Most of the people on the Roll Call were from the Jersey/New York area, as well as our table mates. Everyone was great. As a gal from the midwest, I say go for it. Jersey/New York people are great to cruise with. I don't find them any different then people from anywhere else in the country.

I can understand why people would have concerns about cruising that week if, in fact, it's about having a lot of kids on board. RCCL is not Disney, after all, and the lower child-to-adult ratio probably factors into some folks' decision to cruise with Royal Caribbean instead of them or Carnival.

But, if the notion of sailing that week goes to the fact that it's people from New Jersey, then that's rather pathetic. And, frankly, I find it appalling that we're not seeing the same "how-dare-you-be-so-ignorant" remarks that fly fast and furious when people question sailing out of Puerto Rico because of their preconceived notions about "the locals".

My two cents.

I used to live in NJ (exit 5) and now live in Delaware which to me is a continuation of NJ. I LOVE NJ!!! Jersey people are nice people, its crazy how people stereotype. Went to Disney one year during Jersey week and had no problems at all. It was kind of fun meeting all the people from Jersey and what part they are from. It is funny how people criticize NJ and the people from there, Jersey has alot to offer. As far as the tv show Jersey Shore, the people are not from NJ and some of people that go down to the NJ shore are not from NJ either, Jersey gets a bad rap.

Oh and about the pumping gas yourself, I didnt know how to pump gas when I moved to Delaware and now I am a pro, so if there is anyone at the pump from NJ, I would be happy to help pump your gas for you!!!

I say go on the cruise, and have fun!!!

Jeanne

When I was a TA in NJ . That week of Teachers Convention was always a problem .

Not for kids on cruises , but for decent airfare and connections from the NY/NJ/PA airports to all kinds of vacation destinations.

There were few to none cruises from that area in those days.

I imagine decent flights and $$ are worse than ever now.:(

would you change dates of your cruise because of it?

I am from Jersey and we have cruised and gone to disneyworld that week. We choose then not only because our kids our off but because it is less crowded. So no I would not change your date. Besides, us Jersey people are alot of fun!!

Shhhhhh!!!! All you guys defending New Jersey, please STOP!!! We are one of the best kept secrets around; a truly outstanding educational system (consistently ranked in the top 5 in the country), one of the best state college systems anywhere, hundreds of miles of glorious beaches, thousands of square miles of rolling farm country, not to mention that we were never stupid enough to buy the gas companies' lie that if only we'll agree to pump our own gas, the prices will be cheaper (we're consistently lower than NY, PA or CT). But if you keep TELLING people about us they'll ALL want to come!!! So SHHHHHHHH!

BTW -- how do you know that there are no real Jerseyites involved in "The Jersey Shore"? Because everyone in this state knows that the name is just "The Shore" (pronounced "The Shaw" of course!) and that one never says "I'm going down to the shore" -- its just "I'm going down the shore."

Just an FYI- NJEA convention this year is November 10-11, the second week of November.

If that's the case then the OP is definitely sailing during Jersey week. We were in WDW a few years ago during JW- it was noticeably busier than in previous Novembers. We always check to make sure we are NOT booking a vaca during that week;)

When I was a TA in NJ . That week of Teachers Convention was always a problem .

Not for kids on cruises , but for decent airfare and connections from the NY/NJ/PA airports to all kinds of vacation destinations.

There were few to none cruises from that area in those days.

I imagine decent flights and $$ are worse than ever now.:(

If you want to vacation that week, you have to book as soon as the airfares come out or the prices are stupid.

*Alert* my regional high school just posted its calendar for 2011-2012 so check to see if yours is out too so we can book up all those spring break cruises...

Went on the Explorer last summer, early June. Most of the people on the Roll Call were from the Jersey/New York area, as well as our table mates. Everyone was great. As a gal from the midwest, I say go for it. Jersey/New York people are great to cruise with. I don't find them any different then people from anywhere else in the country.

Yo yo yo.

Doan fugget abowd us from Philly.:eek:

I am shocked and amazed someone would want to change their cruise due to the Teachers Conference and it being called Jersey week, worried that people (kids) from New Jersey will be on the ship.

I think I would avoid such a cruise because of the teachers on the ship.:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homebody viewpost.gif

I was on the Explorer last fall during "Jersey week". (10/28-11/7 cruise) Not many kids at all. The few kids that were on, were younger and well behaved. If you didn't know it was "jersey week" you would not notice any difference in that cruise in comparison to any other fall cruise.

I was on the same cruise last year. I agree. I didn't notice many kids on the ship. So, the ones who were there were very well behaved. I booked the Explorer again for the same time this year (Oct. 28 - Nov. 7, 2010). I didn't even think about teacher's convention, and I'm a retired teacher.

We were also on that cruise - I asked about the number of kids on the ship - I was told that there were just over 400! We hadn't heard of "Jersey Week" before then. And yes, they were well behaved and not an issue. But on the Oasis in August - wow! they ran the ship!

I was getting gas a couple of days ago. There was an SUV in front of me at the gas pump from Mass. The driver came over to my car and asked me if he was supposed to tip the attendant for pumping his gas. I told him that it is illegal in NJ to pump your own gas. No tip was necessary.

And if you want really fast service, pull up to the pump with NY plates and get of your vehicle and reach towards the pump...

They come over pretty quick - rolling their eyes - but they are quick...

Shhhhhh!!!! All you guys defending New Jersey, please STOP!!! We are one of the best kept secrets around; a truly outstanding educational system (consistently ranked in the top 5 in the country), one of the best state college systems anywhere, hundreds of miles of glorious beaches, thousands of square miles of rolling farm country, not to mention that we were never stupid enough to buy the gas companies' lie that if only we'll agree to pump our own gas, the prices will be cheaper (we're consistently lower than NY, PA or CT). But if you keep TELLING people about us they'll ALL want to come!!! So SHHHHHHHH!

BTW -- how do you know that there are no real Jerseyites involved in "The Jersey Shore"? Because everyone in this state knows that the name is just "The Shore" (pronounced "The Shaw" of course!) and that one never says "I'm going down to the shore" -- its just "I'm going down the shore."

Newsflash, Liz.

Your gas is cheaper because New Jersey (and this one IS a shocker!) has lower gas taxes. (14.5 cents per gallon vs 31.1 cents per gallon in PA) NJ gas is NOT 17 cents lower per gallon than in PA.

It would be even cheaper if you had self-service pumps.

:p

Archived