I KNOW I am WAY overpacked!!

ava_girl_123

Ok, you have less than I would pack and we fly. You have a 7 night cruise and only 4 dresses. What do you wear for dinner the other three nights ? I would ditch some of the tops and capris and add dresses. But then I like to wear a dress every night. You already have the heels packed. We usually take a suitcase and garment bag each. Last cruise I only had a couple of shirts and shorts/capri's I didn't wear. My husband would pack even more if I didn"t weed out his choices. JMHO

PACK A SWEATER!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it's like a thousand degrees here in Maryland but the ship's public areas are cold. Brrrrrrrrr. Especially true in the theatre. Do you know that it is practically impossible to buy a sweatshirt in the Caribbean in the summer? Maybe in the winter too, but I was wearing a towel in the theater.

I second that! Def pack a sweater, light jacket or wrap of some sort.

Well you know how many items I have! I have tried to take out some of the stuff but I just can't do it! lol I don't know if this helps anyone but my mom checked with our travel agent after seeing the info about weight and he told her that this was the suggestion for those flying and that it did not apply to us because we are driving to the port.

Much as you are not flying and can take the kitchen sink think about the porters and crew who have to heft that thing (more than once) I think that this is a prime reason that you have to take soda and water in your carry on now - it was just getting TOO much for everyone. I still am a firm believer in take half of what you pack and you still won't wear everything

This is where I would cut the load in half, and that's what you'll end up using.

No cocking of eyebrows. Just a lady Iv never met from another cruise message board that we stayed in touch and both wanted to do it. She is married, I assume happily. We both just wanted to do the cruise mostly so we said lets try it. Im kind of excited. I always book the cheap stuff, so this will be fun to try for us big time. Im like a little kid. Ill have to try and behave.

:eek::eek::eek: You are my type of guy Fire!! lol

Ok, you have less than I would pack and we fly. You have a 7 night cruise and only 4 dresses. What do you wear for dinner the other three nights ? I would ditch some of the tops and capris and add dresses. But then I like to wear a dress every night. You already have the heels packed. We usually take a suitcase and garment bag each. Last cruise I only had a couple of shirts and shorts/capri's I didn't wear. My husband would pack even more if I didn"t weed out his choices. JMHO

2 of the dresses are for formal nights.. 2 of the other dresses are sundresses for 2 other dinners.. and my capris which are the really nice kinds will be worn with my dressy tops and heels and some nice jewlery..I am thinking more casual the first evening correct? Don't they allow that the first evening in case you do not have your luggage? Oh and I have 2 skirts in there also that I forgot about.. No, 3 skirts.. 2 of them short and 1 long..

I actually think I do not have enough casual clothing.. I need some T-shirts and tanks...

:eek::eek::eek: You are my type of guy Fire!! lol

Im a gal :eek::eek::eek:

Like I said just another lady I meet online and we both like to cruise and decided to go. No romance!!! hahahahahahahah Believe me Im not like that, I like men

Im a gal :eek::eek::eek:

Like I said just another lady I meet online and we both like to cruise and decided to go. No romance!!! hahahahahahahah Believe me Im not like that, I like men

Hey.. A little alcohol, ya never know.. Lol.. Kidding.. WoW.. For some reason I thought you were a dude..:p

I can't help myself... Sugar Pie Honey Bunch- ;)

I have about 10 nice tops.. 10 casual tops... 6 pairs shorts... 3 capris...5 pairs heels/sandals ...1 pair flip flops..2 dresses formal night, 2 sundresses.. 3 bathing suits.. 2 bathing suit cover ups (Or what I like to call- My A** don't look as good as it use to so I am gonna cover it up) Lol :D

I HAVE TO TAKE IT ALL.. I can not cut it down.. :p:p It all fits so nice into my suitcase.. We do not have to fly, so... Oh well..I will take it all..:p

I'm with you except on the shirts and the heels. 20 shirts?! That is freaking hilarious, Gail. LOL

Hi Gail,

At least I know where to go to borrow clothes!! Hmmmm, what size shoe do you wear! You take whatever you feel like you need to take. It takes actually cruising for one to get a grasp of what is needed. As far as t-shirts, I don't over pack those because I always buy at least one on the ship and one in each port we visit. :)

I have about 10 nice tops.. 10 casual tops... 6 pairs shorts... 3 capris...5 pairs heels/sandals ...1 pair flip flops..2 dresses formal night, 2 sundresses.. 3 bathing suits.. 2 bathing suit cover ups (Or what I like to call- My A** don't look as good as it use to so I am gonna cover it up) Lol :D

I HAVE TO TAKE IT ALL.. I can not cut it down.. :p:p It all fits so nice into my suitcase.. We do not have to fly, so... Oh well..I will take it all..:p

Good for you..I know you are so excited..it's been fun..reading about your anticipation..now I did not read this whole thread but you may want to weigh your case with this..then you will know what you have to pair down to get it to 50 lbs..I say if it all fits ok..good for you but then you will start getting prepared when you do fly ( and I am lousy at this!!)..sounds like a lovely wardrobe and many of us enjoy dressing up on vacation..ships are perfect for it..sjn.:)

I can't help myself... Sugar Pie Honey Bunch-

I have about 10 nice tops.. 10 casual tops... 6 pairs shorts... 3 capris...5 pairs heels/sandals ...1 pair flip flops..2 dresses formal night, 2 sundresses.. 3 bathing suits.. 2 bathing suit cover ups (Or what I like to call- My A** don't look as good as it use to so I am gonna cover it up) Lol

I HAVE TO TAKE IT ALL.. I can not cut it down.. It all fits so nice into my suitcase.. We do not have to fly, so... Oh well..I will take it all..

Options are good ... that's how I usually pack. However, this next trip I'm determined to pack into a 22" roller bag and tote.:eek: People here swear it can be done ... but, we shall see.

I can't wait to hear about your cruise ... your excitement is infectious. I'll be just leaving for mine when you return from yours, so I'll have to hunt out your review when I get back!:D

Have a great time!

Sounds about right to me. A girl's just got to have choices!!!!

Ditto on the jacket thing, though. It does get chilly in some spots.

Been reading your posts and I hope you have a great time.

Please review when you get back, with pics.

Sounds like what I pack,but I would have waayyy more shoes! Don't even get me started on bracelets/earrings and accessories LOL:p And I always tell me husband,that those of the basic necessities while he stands there shaking his head at me with his small half packed bag lol! I love it!

[quote name='quickrate']I use to drag lots of clothes with me. then started realizing i was only using half of it. Now that we are platunum, I send out our clothes every other day so no need to overpack anymore. I was the same way on my first cruise-after you've cruised a while, you will start cutting down on what you bring. As every cruise director says[B],"bring half the clothes, and twice as much money![/B]
Pat[/quote]

I love it,very true! Eventhough I realized (after my second cruise) that I don't wear most of the clothes I bring,I just can't help it! I MUST have choices,lol!

My DW did about the same on her first cruise. She brought a lot of Jean too...

She said next time she's bringing zero coverups and maybe two tops...Her primary attire will be a sundress over a bikini; sun dress will be a multi-tasker as it's used as a cover up...

i have to try to get everyone to cut back on what they bring. I really only want to take 3 suitcases for 6 of us, since we are flying and have to pay for each bag. My daughters looked at me like I was insane! I really don't see why it can't be done. Girls summer clothes take up no room. their dresses are about a yard of fabric!! And bathing suits are almost nothing. we'll see how we do.

[quote name='ava_girl_123']I can't help myself... Sugar Pie Honey Bunch- ;)

I HAVE TO TAKE IT ALL.. I can not cut it down.. :p:p It all fits so nice into my suitcase.. We do not have to fly, so... Oh well..I will take it all..:p[/quote]

I consider myself the packers packer. I have it down to one suitcase total (for me and my DH) for a 7 day cruise. I am leaving Aug 5th for a sort 4 dayer and I am taking a duffle.
Happy Sailing............

[quote name='denred4']i have to try to get everyone to cut back on what they bring. I really only want to take 3 suitcases for 6 of us, since we are flying and have to pay for each bag. My daughters looked at me like I was insane! I really don't see why it can't be done. Girls summer clothes take up no room. their dresses are about a yard of fabric!! And bathing suits are almost nothing. we'll see how we do.[/quote]

Can't you all just take a carry-on? Or do you have to pay for carry-ons too?

I take 3 suitcases for me and my husband. No matter how hard I try I always have 6 pairs of shoes. My husband will have 3 pairs of size 12, they take up a lot of space but I do put small stuff inside them. Last year we did a 9 day cruise and took the same 3 suitcases. I like to have some choice but usually only have one or two clean outfits at the end of the cruise. I do not do laundry on vacation, even when we've rented houses with a washer and dryer.

[quote name='wrenchmonkey']I consider myself the packers packer. I have it down to one suitcase total (for me and my DH) for a 7 day cruise. I am leaving Aug 5th for a sort 4 dayer and I am taking a duffle.
Happy Sailing............[/quote]

Where do you put all your cosmetics? My smallest suitcase, carry-on size, is filled with my curling iron, hair dryer, hair spray, mousse, a large cosmetic bag, husband's toiletry bag, etc. I need my stuff. :D

We went to Minneapolis for 4 days with two carry-ons. Since we could each have a quart bag with liquids I was able to put stuff in my husbands bag, otherwise I would not have been able to do it. Even that was difficult because I had to eliminate many things. No way I could do without that stuff on a 7 day cruise.

I'm right there with you, OP !! We just got off the Liberty a week ago and I WAY overpacked. But ... it's better to overpack than to not have enough. I think I had packed something like 15 shirts and 16 pairs of underwear LOL. I brought enough to be able to change twice a day if I wanted to because I knew it would be hot and humid.

I think it also depends on where you are going. Last year for Alaska I didn't bring nearly as much because we weren't somewhere that was sweaty hot and we could re-wear pants and some shirts if we only wore them at dinner. But this trip we went to EAstern Caribbean and it was like 900% humidity every day so you could NOT re-wear things unless you wanted to stink LOL.

One thing I forgot to bring was a small bottle of laundry soap so I could hand-wash bathing suits, bras, etc. in the sink. You get so sweaty you have to wash out your bras (unless you have more than 7). I had to use hand soap LOL.

[quote name='ava_girl_123']I can't help myself... Sugar Pie Honey Bunch- ;)

I HAVE TO TAKE IT ALL.. I can not cut it down.. :p:p It all fits so nice into my suitcase.. We do not have to fly, so... Oh well..I will take it all..:p[/quote]

LOL 1st cruise you will learn :D

Archived