Question about Alaskan White Pass booking

cwmcaa

We are wanting to do the White Pass Summit Rail excursion. I have looked up Chilkoot and also looked at booking through Princess. Does Princess book through Chilkoot also? Or does Princess have their own train. If ppl who book privately verses through the cruise line are on the same train, other than price, are there any other differences? I'm wondering if the cruise line books actual train cars on the same train and the ppl who book independently have a different car.

Thanks so much.

We are wanting to do the White Pass Summit Rail excursion. I have looked up Chilkoot and also looked at booking through Princess. Does Princess book through Chilkoot also? Or does Princess have their own train. If ppl who book privately verses through the cruise line are on the same train, other than price, are there any other differences? I'm wondering if the cruise line books actual train cars on the same train and the ppl who book independently have a different car.

Thanks so much.

We booked through Princess and the cost was about 15 or 20pp. Not sure of whether we had our own car but we were able to get on the train right from the ship. If you booked yourself you had to go to the train station to board which really isn't much of a walk unless the weather is bad. It is something I would definately do !!!

Princess does not book through Chilkoot. Chilkoot is a completely separate, independent company. They have their own train car and if you are doing a train/bus combo, their busses are much smaller and more personalized. We did the 7.5 hour train/bus combo to the Yukon and Caribou Crossing last year and absolutely loved it! If you are just doing the round trip train, you might be fine just going through Princess, but if you want to do one of the longer bus/train combos, I would highly recommend Chilkoot!

Princess does not book through Chilkoot. Chilkoot is a completely separate, independent company. They have their own train car and if you are doing a train/bus combo, their busses are much smaller and more personalized. We did the 7.5 hour train/bus combo to the Yukon and Caribou Crossing last year and absolutely loved it! If you are just doing the round trip train, you might be fine just going through Princess, but if you want to do one of the longer bus/train combos, I would highly recommend Chilkoot!

ME TOO.:D Do the 7 1/2 hr.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm still a bit confused when you say they have their own train car. Is it one car that is attached to a train that those who book through Princess might ride? If so, how does that train car compare to the ones booked through Princess.

Thanks everyone for the info. I'm still a bit confused when you say they have their own train car. Is it one car that is attached to a train that those who book through Princess might ride? If so, how does that train car compare to the ones booked through Princess.

I think all the cars are basically the same. One car is designated for Chilkoot passengers only. It helps to keep the group together so they can direct you to the correct bus when you leave the train. Only Chilkoot passengers are on that train car, regardless of what ship they might be on. There are many cars on one train, which might contain passengers from several ship tours or even independent passengers.

The most important piece of info you need to know is sit on the left going up and right going down. If you need the straight scoop call Chilkoot and ask them like I did last summer what the differences are by booking direct or through a ship

We did this tour last year and the only difference between the cruise line tour and an independent tour was the train picked up the cruise line tour at the ship and then went about a quarter mile and picked up the independent tours. Each was in separate cars but being pulled by the same engine. The train cars were identical otherwise.

We did it independently in case there was bad weather or fog. If there is fog, it isn't worth taking the train as you would miss 90% of the real good views.

The most important piece of info you need to know is sit on the left going up and right going down. If you need the straight scoop call Chilkoot and ask them like I did last summer what the differences are by booking direct or through a ship

So I take it by your comments that one gets off the train for some period of time before the return trip?

Mike:)

if you do the 4 hour round trip, you don't get off the train. we absolutely loved it; booked it through princess; the views were awesome; as far a seats go, they have people sit on same side, each way, so one half of the train gets the great views on the way up and the other half on the way back; that is the fair way. also, there are great viewing areas in the outside area in the back and front of each car--highly recommended-grams98

When you get t0o the top of the pass, the train stops, and the engines are detached and go around to the rear of the train and reattached. You get up from your seat, grab the back of it and pull, reversing the seat. Then you cross the aisle and sit on the other side, so the people who didn't have the good view going up now have it going down. I don't think you can buy a one way ticket, you have to buy it as a package with alternative transport coming back. The round trip ticket from Princess was $125, and I think it was only $10-15 less booked independently. EM

Essiesmom,

I see in your signature you did the Diamond B2B this May. How was it? We would like to do it next Summer but are concerned about having essentially the same itiniary going North and coming South! Thanks!

Katherine

Essiesmom,

I see in your signature you did the Diamond B2B this May. How was it? We would like to do it next Summer but are concerned about having essentially the same itiniary going North and coming South! Thanks!

Katherine

Not Essiesmom, but I thought I would respond too since we did a B2B on the Diamond last summer. First of all we love the Diamond. It is such a lovely ship. We had some concerns about repeating the itinerary, but the great thing about the ports in Alaska is that there is so much to see and do that you can never do it all, even in a few port visits. So we just made a point of planning very different activities on each port day and packing in things we hadn't had time for on our other Alaska visits. It was great to leave a port the first week and know we were coming back for more the next week. Also, although we visited Glacier Bay and College Fjord twice the times were a bit different so we got to get a perspective at different times of day. And the views are ever changing, so it didn't seem like too much. It was truly one of our best cruises ever. The only thing that got to feel a bit familiar was the food and entertainment, but we tried different things each week which made it feel less repetitive. I would definitely do it again.

To my mind the real advantage of booking directly on the date of arrival is if the weather is not good in the morning or if there is low cloud or fog, you have the advantage of waiting for one of the later trips to the summit or electing not to go at all. You also save a few dollars but the to me the weather factor is the biggie.

Essiesmom,

Katherine

It was very relaxing. We did Hubbard Glacier the first week and college Fjord the second, and glacier Bay both weeks. Port times were a little different between the weeks, so plenty of time to shop and sightsee. the only tour I booked was the White Pass railway, which I enjoyed. the second time to Skagway I took the cheap shuttle into town and walked around, soing some shopping. In Juneau the first week I took the ride up on the tram, then booked the city tour with Mendenhall glacier. Second visit to Juneau I shopped. In Ketchikan I shopped the first week (our only really rainy day) and the second week I took the free shuttle to the Totem museum, then to the library and walked to Creek Street and back downtown. EM

Thanks for the comments! The B2B sounds wonderful!! We have a Pacific Coastal on the Sapphire in May booked, followed by the Golden for AK. But the N, S itiniaries sound extra special to me.

Decisions, decisions!

Katherine

We are going out the last cruise of this season. I wonder if I wait to book until we arrive if they ever fill up. I'm guessing probably not but has anyone had experience with being turned away?

I just got back from Alaska a couple of weeks ago on Island Princess. We did the 7.5 Yukon Rail/Bus Combo through Chilkoot. We had a great time!

You can read my review here:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/cruises/princess-cruises/island-princess-alaska-2010-short-review/

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions too (link in my signature)!

Archived