Evaluating a beverage package? Here is a beverage list with prices, as of mid-2010.

jg51

We are sailing on the Silhouette tomorrow, and as we have purchased the Premium Package I was looking for clarification on this new policy in term of only paying the difference for a more expensive drink.

Anyway, I emailed celebrity and got the following responses:-

For the Premium Alcohol Package only - if guests would like, they can order beverages above the $12.00 per beverage limit but must pay for any additional amount above the limit.

Please be advised that we have recently changed our policy on buying a drink which costs more than the limit allowed in the Premium Package. For example, the limit is $12 a glass for wine/champagne, and a guests wants an $18 glass of wine/champagne, they will now only be charged the $6 difference (plus 15% gratuity).

I have 2 replies as I emailed both Celebrity UK and USA. Interesting to see both only mention the Premium Package.

We are sailing on the Silhouette tomorrow, and as we have purchased the Premium Package I was looking for clarification on this new policy in term of only paying the difference for a more expensive drink.

Anyway, I emailed celebrity and got the following responses:-

I have 2 replies as I emailed both Celebrity UK and USA. Interesting to see both only mention the Premium Package.

Thanks for the update. Enjoy your Silhouette cruise and please report back how the package worked.

As much as I would like it to be the case, I do find it hard to believe that X would allow upgrades on the Classic package as it would discourage people from purchasing the Premium package.

We also are debating between the soft drink package and the classic alcohol package. We do drink mixed drinks (captain/coke) and wine? We are crusing mid-march so have time but we are trying to budget.

If you do not mind the hassle Celebrity does allow you to bring on soft drinks and water at any time.

38anchor, Thank you for posting your responses from Celebrity. This will make our Premium package even more enjoying on the Silhouette in November for some additional wine selections. Enjoy your cruise.

We also are debating between the soft drink package and the classic alcohol package. We do drink mixed drinks (captain/coke) and wine? We are crusing mid-march so have time but we are trying to budget

We are also sailing end of March 2012 on Century.

There are no prices on the website.

How can I make a decision when Celebrity do not advertise their prices.

The Premium package I know is approx $55 from another post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1474682:

How much is the current Classic package?

The Premium package I know is approx $55 from another post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1474682:

Hi, if I go to the web site and click on manage my reservation and then on to purchase a drink package I can read about the packages and purchase them on line. The prices, though in my opinion ridiculous :rolleyes:, are certainly there for me to see. I also have a call in to my vacation planner right now, to determine if the web prices are what I will have to pay should I choose to purchase a package, or if he can get me any discount. I also want to further understand what I am able to obtain without a package in the dining room or at the buffet before I make a decision. I will be happy to share what I learn with all of you if I think it will be helpful. Laurie

I guess the UK site does not show prices for some reason.

Here is the current pricing from the Celebrity USA website, all prices are per person per night:

Non-alcoholic:

Classic $14.00 ($16.10 including 15% service charge)

Premium $18.00 ($20.7 including 15% service charge)

Alcohol:

Classic $ 44.00 ($50.60 including 15% service charge)

Premium $54.00 ($62.10 including 15% service charge)

... I also have a call in to my vacation planner right now, to determine if the web prices are what I will have to pay should I choose to purchase a package, or if he can get me any discount. I also want to further understand what I am able to obtain without a package in the dining room or at the buffet before I make a decision. I will be happy to share what I learn with all of you if I think it will be helpful. Laurie

I've never heard of a discount offered for a package. I have heard of both TA's and Celebrity offering OBC which could be used toward the cost of a package purchased on board.

Celebrity offers a decent selection of non-alcoholic beverages that are included in the basic cruise fare and have no extra charge. Some people are very happy with these for all or part of their consumption and some people are not, preferring the extra cost items. Also, there is usually at least one event (the Captain' s toast on the first formal night) where complimentary wine and cocktails are served. If you are a prior Celebrity cruiser there are more events where complimentary wine and cocktails are served for Captain's Club members ranging from one or two events for basic members, an additional event for Select members and daily events for Elite members.

As far as I can recall the no-extra charge non-alcoholic beverages include: Tap water, Brewed coffee (regular and decaf), instant coffee (taster's choice regular and decaf), Tea (good selection of about 8 or more popular tea blends including green, mint, etc), hot coca (Nestles instant mix), Milk (regular, chocolate and skim), juices, iced tea, lemonade, fruit punch.

All of these items are available in any dining area or from room service. They are available 24/7 from room service and from beverage stations in the buffet area although some items are not available at all times in the buffet: Some milks are only available during meals in the buffet and the dispensers used for juices during breakfast times are used for iced tea, lemonade and punch at other times.

For the most part there is an extra charge for any alcoholic, carbonated, or bottled beverage. Also most bars and lounges charge for any beverages served there. There are upscale versions of many no-extra-charge beverages available which do cost extra such as espresso based coffees, organic teas, bottled water, fresh squeezed OJ, etc.

Here is the current pricing from the Celebrity USA website, all prices are per person per night:

Non-alcoholic:

Alcohol:

Lsimon,

Many thanks, very helpful

Non-alcoholic:

Alcohol:

Thank you Lsimon. I often come across your postings and they are always so informative.

It is such a well debated subject, and I thought I had it all sorted for our upcoming trip, and now I have done a complete flip! :confused:

We were going to go for two premiums, until I realised the difference between premium coffees and specialty coffees - we don't need the speciality coffees. So thought OK I will go for classic - great all sorted... Then I was quite sick recently with the 'flu and after 3 weeks of being unwell and 2 lots of antibiotics, I have found every time I have one wine (just one!:eek:) I end up with a headache! :rolleyes: So looks like it may be the non-alcoholic package for me and an alcoholic classic for DH!

Hi,

My question is the following, how does Celebrity monitor that the package deal is used only by the person who actually bought it. What prevents a person who has a premium package deal and gets his drink and then decides that he doesn't want to drink it and passes it on to his spouse. Is there some kind of control?.

dh

Hi,

My question is the following, how does Celebrity monitor that the package deal is used only by the person who actually bought it. What prevents a person who has a premium package deal and gets his drink and then decides that he doesn't want to drink it and passes it on to his spouse. Is there some kind of control?.

dh

Celebrity does register all the drinks one obtains under a package and I'm sure they have controls in place to detect sharing. But just like I can't tell you how the department store near my house controls shoplifters, I don't know the precise controls they have in place.

I would also presume that people's sense of honestly and integrity prevent this from being a big issue. However, just as there are some who have no issue stealing merchandise from a store or other crimes, I'm sure that there are some whose morals are low enough that they decide to try and cheat the system and share the packages.

Other cruise lines with similar package options have gone the route of requiring all passengers sharing a cabin to purchase identical packages. I don't know if they did this to control sharing in advance or as a reaction to problems, and I hope it doesn't become an issue on Celebrity and force them to take similar actions or to raise the prices to offset any losses.

Edited by Lsimon

Thank you Lsimon. I often come across your postings and they are always so informative.

It is such a well debated subject, and I thought I had it all sorted for our upcoming trip, and now I have done a complete flip! :confused:

We were going to go for two premiums, until I realised the difference between premium coffees and specialty coffees - we don't need the speciality coffees. So thought OK I will go for classic - great all sorted... Then I was quite sick recently with the 'flu and after 3 weeks of being unwell and 2 lots of antibiotics, I have found every time I have one wine (just one!:eek:) I end up with a headache! :rolleyes: So looks like it may be the non-alcoholic package for me and an alcoholic classic for DH!

MargoK I too get headache/Migraine from red wine but am fine with just white. I used to be ok with the blush wines but not any more. So I enjoy my white wine. We too are undecided what to do.. We are social drinkers I guess you can say. So would it be wise to get the package. I too have said yes no yes no many times. We love a good cup of coffee ( not the kind in the buffet area) where I usually go to hot tea the coffee is so bad.

Good luck and I hope white wine can be in your future..

MargoK I too get headache/Migraine from red wine but am fine with just white. I used to be ok with the blush wines but not any more. So I enjoy my white wine. We too are undecided what to do.. We are social drinkers I guess you can say. So would it be wise to get the package. I too have said yes no yes no many times. We love a good cup of coffee ( not the kind in the buffet area) where I usually go to hot tea the coffee is so bad.

Good luck and I hope white wine can be in your future..

I really enjoyed the cappuccinos, coffee drinks with alcohol and herb teas at Cova Cafe and Cafe al Bacio. I'm looking forward to sampling several a day on our next cruise. The entertainment and variety of tasty treats (at no extra cost) can't be beat!!

Edited by librarylady19

We are going to sail on our first Celebrity cruise on Jan 12, 2013 (have always done Princess before) and was so glad to find this thread. Since booking the cruise, our main discussion has been about how much we think we'll drink to see if the classic package would be good for us. Funny how important this seems to be......ports, excursions, menus..... yeah, yeah, sounds good but the #1 TOPIC - Drink Package! :)

I had to respond to your post when I saw your War Eagle! We are also Auburn Tigers...we watched the LSU Au game in Rome last year and will watch the Al Au game in Barcelona this year!

I think that you will enjoy Celebrity, it is very similar to Princess, the food is a little better on Celebrity and the entertainment is a little better on Princess.

I had to respond to your post when I saw your War Eagle! We are also Auburn Tigers...we watched the LSU Au game in Rome last year and will watch the Al Au game in Barcelona this year!

I think that you will enjoy Celebrity, it is very similar to Princess, the food is a little better on Celebrity and the entertainment is a little better on Princess.

War Eagle and you gotta love those Tigers! But, if they don't pick up the pace, Barcelona might be the best place to watch the Al - Au game this year...:rolleyes: Of course, Barcelona is a great place to watch any game from! We are so looking forward to this cruise and I think we've decided on the drink package......maybe.....

Non-alcoholic:

Alcohol:

Does anyone know if the price went up in the past few days, I go to the Celebrity website and the price is $437.00 per person for a 7 day cruise. And that does not include the gratuity, in total, more than $900.00 for two.

Very interesting:confused:

Just thought I would check again if anyone has returned from their cruise and purchased a drinks package pro-rata - say for the last 4 days of a 7 night cruise . I realize their have been posts suggesting this is possible , but has anyone actually done this ??

Cheers :D

It was $368 or $378 (I can't remember) last night when I looked.

Edited to add, I just checked again and it is $378, are you sailing for more than 7 days?

Thanks for your response.

No, it is a seven day cruise. And the price was the one given by the web page, the $900 plus total that I quoted earlier.