Verizon to Verizon texting on Oasis

This may be a stupid question for all the high tech people out there, but we will have two 12 year old boys with us on Oasis in November and they are very reluctant to have walkie talkies but want their freedom. With all of us having Verizon service, will we be able to keep in touch on the ship via text and if so will we still incur the charges I found on the Verizon website even if we have an unlimited texting plan? We texted a few times while on Navigator of the Seas at Christmas 2009 but it wasn't a big deal then. We need to keep in touch with these guys on this enormous ship.

This may be a stupid question for all the high tech people out there, but we will have two 12 year old boys with us on Oasis in November and they are very reluctant to have walkie talkies but want their freedom. With all of us having Verizon service, will we be able to keep in touch on the ship via text and if so will we still incur the charges I found on the Verizon website even if we have an unlimited texting plan? We texted a few times while on Navigator of the Seas at Christmas 2009 but it wasn't a big deal then. We need to keep in touch with these guys on this enormous ship.

While on the cruise ship, you will be charged by Verizon the rate of .50 cents for every text sent and .05 cents for every text received no matter if you have unlimited texting or not :)

Yes, texting will work, but the rate is something like $.50 per text to send and $.05 per text to receive on the ship even with unlimited texting. Another thing to think about with carrying around cell phones or walkie talkies, is what will they do with them if they jump into a basketball game on the sports deck, decide its time for a swim, etc?? They get layed down and forgotten about. I've also heard stories of cell phones, etc being stolen on board.

Personally we use post its in the cabin. We all talk about where we will be and then if it changes we put a note in the cabin. We check up on the kids from time to time to make sure they are where they said they would be. Yes, its a big ship, but there are a few places they will end up hanging out at so usually isn't too hard to find them. Not worth it to us to carry around unnecessary electronics.

and one last comment on walkie talkies, what if you are at dinner, or in the theatre, etc and they want to get you? Do you turn them off while there so they can't get you or do you disturb everyone else around you? Just something to consider.

Hmmm...you have all given me much food for thought. My boy is my youngest and I find myself being a bit overprotective. I love the post it idea...and you are right about the fact that there are probably a hand full of places where the boys will end up hanging out...wherever there are girls!!!!!

Agree with akcruz, plus I've heard horrifying stories of automatic app updates and accidental usage of cell phones resulting in $1000+ bills. :eek:

Just don't think I'd want to take the chance.

another very good point! I take my cell phone with me because it has such a great 5 MP camera on it but the minute I board the ship, I turn the phone on "flight mode" so I can still use the other functions of the phone without having to worry about accidental roaming charges.

It's true...you will find the kids will gravitate to the same places...they won't be hard to find. Just set up "meeting" times and you're good to go. Set tentative plans in the morning....tell them where you'll be, so they can find you, if need be. Even tho the ship is big, much of it is passenger space. It's not as hard to find your party as you might think!

I have Verizon, and also have "international calling" turned on. Texting is a good idea, but on Liberty of the Seas, it usually was not available so ended up not working for keeping track of the kid. We ended up like we always did. Using instructions, and meeting times!

Hmmm...you have all given me much food for thought. My boy is my youngest and I find myself being a bit overprotective. I love the post it idea...and you are right about the fact that there are probably a hand full of places where the boys will end up hanging out...wherever there are girls!!!!!

They can also call your cabin from any house phone and leave a message for you. That way they don't have to return to the cabin each time they want to leave a message.

Archived