Seabourn announces revised dress code

Martita B.

jrmuk: you can call them "denim trousers" and you can pay $200 for them -- but...they are jeans. Just noting.

Spouse and I are firmly in the "formal nights are one of the most appealing things about Seabourn" camp... and certainly are sad to see some of these changes.

Jeans, no matter how expensive are not allowed..

Host Dan

Last week Seabourn told me no fomal nights on our cruise, October 23rd on the Spirit. Today they informed me that they had changed their policy back to one formal night on 7 night Med cruises begining October 7th. They said they recieved so many complaints about the change in policy that it had been changed back to include the formal night.

I suspect GrannyLorr's summary is about right. While I understand that some people may not be totally happy with the "new" code I am relieved that I will be toally compliant when I wear elegant casual on all nights of our upcoming 15 dayer.

So Host Dan, my original reading of Martita's post was right. Still no formal nights on seven day Med and Caribbean cruises. Only one for cruises between seven and thirteen nights. Is that correct?

So Host Dan, my original reading of Martita's post was right. Still no formal nights on seven day Med and Caribbean cruises. Only one for cruises between seven and thirteen nights. Is that correct?

1 formal night for 7 day Med and Caribbean cruises now. (Actually October, when the changes takes place.)

Host Dan

Yesterday I spoke with Guest Relations at Seabourn and was assured there are no formal evenings on 7 day Caribbean cruises.

I'm not trying to dispute you, Dan -- I wish we could find out for sure. Maybe just give up and wait until we board!

"Jeans, no matter how expensive are not allowed.."

Perhaps not officially allowed, but one gentleman on my last cruise wore them in the main dining room on at least two casual nights. He did, though, wear a tux (albeit a pink jacket) on formal nights.

Yesterday I spoke with Guest Relations at Seabourn and was assured there are no formal evenings on 7 day Caribbean cruises.

I'm not trying to dispute you, Dan -- I wish we could find out for sure. Maybe just give up and wait until we board!

Again maybe where optional is referred to in the revised dress policies it really means Seabourn has the option to decide if there will be any formal evenings on certain cruises, not the guests have the option to wear formal attire or not.

:DI've course I'm just saying this in jest or at least I think I am.

The really scary part is that people used to dress up for airline travel. Look where that has gone!:eek::eek:

Jim, not only that..there were 2 types of airplanes on United Airlines in the mid to late 50's when I was a Stewardess..as we were called then...they were..coach..and first class. We did not mix the airlplanes until..I think it was late 1958 or 1959. And yes, women wore hats and gloves..and men wore suits...this was also true on coach..though not as fancy. Also during those years..school kids wore APPROPRIATE clothing..and could be chastised by the school teachers..and principals..without fear of job loss..etc. With the loss of those standards went the word..RESPECT! Unfortunately...I don't see a reversal..quite the contrary. Lola

My information comes from upper management, not guest relations. They were very specific in saying that all 7 day cruises, including Caribbean and Med cruises, would have 1 formal night.

Host Dan

Dan,

I assume when you say formal night, you are referring to the optional formal night. So I understand, that optional formal means tux or a suit/jacket with or without a tie. Please let me know. Aloha

My information comes from upper management, not guest relations. They were very specific in saying that all 7 day cruises, including Caribbean and Med cruises, would have 1 formal night.

Host Dan

Dan,

I assume when you say formal night, you are referring to the optional formal night. So I understand, that optional formal means tux or a suit/jacket with or without a tie. Please let me know. Aloha

"optional" means you can take part in the formal evening for dining or not.....if you do, you need a Tux or a suit WITH a tie...... if you dont want to do that,the "option" is that you can dine in the alternate restaurant/s wearing a jacket or in your suite in your pj's....this whole thread seems to be getting overly confusing!!

"optional" means you can take part in the formal evening for dining or not.....if you do, you need a Tux or a suit WITH a tie...... if you dont want to do that,the "option" is that you can dine in the alternate restaurant/s wearing a jacket or in your suite in your pj's....this whole thread seems to be getting overly confusing!!

Now GrannyLorr I think that is where some of us are confused, I don't see where if you don't wear a tux or gown it says that you must dine in an alternate restaurant or your suite. I thought it stated that you have the option to dress in formal wear at dinner or not, but no mention of any penalty or exclusion from the main dinning area if your choice is the latter. While not wanting to drag this subject on, I so hope it's not only me "the natural blonde" ;)in this group that remains confused over the wording in the new dress policies.

Shirley

No. Again, no. The option is the option to wear formal clothes. You don't have to.Yes, you can wear formal clothes. Yes, you can wear a suit and tie. And yes, you can wear a blazer with a collared shirt. All are acceptable. The norm is less formal. The option gives you the encouragement to wear formal clothes on this cited evening. But it is not a requirement. The formal clothes are the option. Not the reverse.

In point of fact, you can wear formal clothes to breakfast any time you wish. Or to lunch Or to dinner. (True, you might feel a tad conspicuous, but you have that right.) On this designated evening there is an official option to do so. Not a mandate. An option. You can accept the option, or not. So it is clearly a diminution of those other times when the formal evening was a designated formal evening, without any option other than suit and tie.

I am not suggesting this is good, Or bad. But it is a change, and presumably done in response to market pressure. As a matter of pragmatic packing, there is simply no need to pack formal clothes. Unless, of course, you wish to.

No. Again, no. The option is the option to wear formal clothes. You don't have to.Yes, you can wear formal clothes. Yes, you can wear a suit and tie. And yes, you can wear a blazer with a collared shirt. All are acceptable. The norm is less formal. The option gives you the encouragement to wear formal clothes on this cited evening. But it is not a requirement. The formal clothes are the option. Not the reverse.

In point of fact, you can wear formal clothes to breakfast any time you wish. Or to lunch Or to dinner. (True, you might feel a tad conspicuous, but you have that right.) On this designated evening there is an official option to do so. Not a mandate. An option. You can accept the option, or not. So it is clearly a diminution of those other times when the formal evening was a designated formal evening, without any option other than suit and tie.

I am not suggesting this is good, Or bad. But it is a change, and presumably done in response to market pressure. As a matter of pragmatic packing, there is simply no need to pack formal clothes. Unless, of course, you wish to.

to your interpretation..I say..egads!

I agree with writer100's take. I don't think on the normal meaning of words, any other is possible. If Seabourn meant something else, they should amend their definitions (again). Here's my understanding:

1. There are three codes possible after 6.00pm. These are resort casual, elegant casual or formal optional. These nights will be designated by Seabourn but, as a rule of thumb, you can expect one formal optional on cruises up to 13 nights, 2 on cruises from 14 to 20 nights and 3 on cruises of 21 nights or longer. World cruises, holiday sailings and crossings may be different. All ships follow the same guidelines.

2. The three dress codes are as defined in the FAQs.

3. Jeans are permissible on elegant casual and resort casual nights, but never in The Restaurant. On formal optional nights jeans are not permissible in any restaurant or lounge.

4. As formal optional is exactly that, optional, elegant casual is also appropriate as it is any night.

5. For men, jackets are only required on elegant casual nights. Ties are not required on elegant casual nights and therefore, by definition they are not required on any night.

5. By definition you could have a mixture in The Restaurant of guests dressed formally and casually with jackets but no ties.

Others can disagree but that is my interpretation of the words as written.

LMAO...with all the different "interpretations" maybe its time to wipe out all dress codes and say "clothes must be worn".....:D I have only been sailing Seabourn for about 3 years, but in that time the code has always been written as "Formal Optional"...and the optional has always meant that you can dine elsewhere, not in the Restaurant....

On our recent Spirit trip, 2 Belgian gentlemen insisted on wearing their trilby type hats in the restaurant every night. I do have photos but probably shouldn't post them!!

Well said. I believe writer100 wraped this issue up beautifully!

Host Dan

Archived