Princess Cays

Woobstr112G

I just booked an Eastern Carribbean cruise on the Ruby for 2011. It'll be the first time DW and I have cruised down this way since 1996. I've heard that there are some great things to do at Princess Cays. Can a few of please share their insights as to what there is to do. I'm specifically interested in those bungalos/shelters you can rent with lunch service (if I heard it right). Thanks in advance for your replies.....:):):)

One more added bonus about this shot 7 day'er is it will bump us up to Platnium for our T/A come October 2011....:):):)

Bob

I haven't stayed in the bungalows but did see them. They look pretty cool. I'm doing the same trip you are but in December 2011. I was in Princess Cays in November. Some don't like it but we had a wonderful day. You can rent snorkel equipment, banana boats, etc. There is a couple of shops to go through. We spent alot of time in a lounge chair looking at the beautiful ocean, palm trees, lifeguards, and the ship anchored and drinking Mango drinks.

We stayed in a bungalow in Apr on the Cays. You get priority tender to the Cays which is nice. When you arrive, you ride this shuttle to the bungalows and are assigned one. They look like a storeage shed with A/C. We spent most of the time out of the bungalow on a lounge chair getting some sun. We walked about 100 yards to a BBQ lunch that was nice. There is a bar close by, naturally. We had 6 people to split the cost so it was probably worth it. I don't think I would bother if there was less people to share the cost I think we paid $30 plus pp. Any more that that I don''t think it would be worth it. But my DW would disagree, and she is the imporatnt decision maker!

Does anybody know what a clam shell is? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the cost -- or whether there are already a sufficient number of chairs with umbrellas available for renting. I've been told there are plenty of chairs, but I'm wondering about the availability of shade.

For some shots of Princess Cays, you might check out the thread on the Board entitled Island Hopping in the Eastern Caribbean:An Emerald Princess 5/2/10 Review by Hollybelle. You have to go back to the beginning of the thread (26 pages long :eek:) to get to the Princess Cays photos. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1202436

Does anybody know what a clam shell is? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the cost -- or whether there are already a sufficient number of chairs with umbrellas available for renting. I've been told there are plenty of chairs, but I'm wondering about the availability of shade.

Both times we were there we didn't have any trouble getting lounge chairs under palm trees. Try to get off the ship early and head over over the bridge once you get on the island. The clam shells are like little hot canvas caves. They block the breeze as they're providing shade and often you can only see the clam shells in front of you.

There is alot of shade available, I would not waste the money.

420019A.jpg

The clamshells are so darn hot most people end up getting out of them. There is plenty of natural shade.

If laying on the beach isn't your thing, Princess has an interesting excursion that takes you onto the island of Eluthra for a tour and lunch. We took it and thought it was a good alternative to yet another day at the beach.

The clamshells are so darn hot most people end up getting out of them. There is plenty of natural shade.

If laying on the beach isn't your thing, Princess has an interesting excursion that takes you onto the island of Eluthra for a tour and lunch. We took it and thought it was a good alternative to yet another day at the beach.

When you did your tour did you still have some time to spend on the beach in Princess Cays?

At Princess Cays, I stay on the empty ship and enjoy myself. In SW Florida I have my own pool with solar heat and can swim all year, so I don't need the beach time like those from northern climes. To me, Princess Cays is a waste.

Another view

2000991686_01812_21.09ClamshellsatPrincessCays100_8450.jpg.01ab14bbbbdef0b27ef1b462d5f186ea.jpg

I remember you posting in preparation for your first Princess cruise, and now you're nearly Platinum. Ah, they grow up so fast. . . .

Check out this thread; it's a few years old but I think the basics are accurate:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=839368

Next thing you know I'll be asking for keys to the car.....:):):)

Thanks for the link.....

Bob

Archived