Can we talk about what to Wear...RCCl Explorer of the Seas 9 day

nyc1967

HI everyone,

Going on a 9 day cruise next summer..I hate to overpack, but am curious about what U bring and wear on the cruises. Its my and my husband, and 2 boys who will be 9 and 11. Formal night i understand - dress like we're going to a wedding..(not a lover of getting so dressed up on vacation) anyway..my question is pretty much what to wear the other nights for dinner - for my husband must he wear nice pants each nice - what about "nicer" shorts? and for myself i'm assuming a icould wear a dressier sun dress or pants/nice shirt..what about dressier shorts? the kids i'm assuming shorts and a polo would be ok most nights - though i'm sure they'll be in the kids club..we are doing "late seating".

Now what about during the day - i'm thinking flip flops, sundresses over a bathing suit and on the island days shorts and t's.

i just hate to over over pack -

thanks

lisa

Don't overthink it - pack just about like you would for a regular vacation.

For a typical 7 day we bring

t-shirts/shorts/underwear for each day +1

2 swim suits

Now for dinner I'm sure you'll get a ton of different opinions - but this is what we do:

We never dress up for formal night usually because luggage space is tight

Dh wears dockers & polos every night - no shorts or jeans

Me - I do either capris/skirt & a nice top or a dress

my boys - polos & nice shorts or dockers (when they were younger I felt it was OK for shorts, but this year I did make my 14yo wear long pants)

Now the biggie here is feel free to re-use the dinner clothes. We just got back from a 12 day & I took 1 skirt, 1 dress, 1 pair of capri's & 4 tops. I rotated the tops with the skirt & capri's. We would change into our dinner clothes before dinner & afterwards change out of them.

I know on our first cruise I way overpacked - I think I had an outfit for everyday & didn't wear half of it.

On our last RCCL cruise they did a laundry special where you filled a bag & they washed it for 1 price. With that in mind if you do run out of clothes, they do offer laundry services - I don't believe they have a self-laundry like some other lines - or you could hand wash in the sink.

Another thing that may play into it for you is how are you getting to the port - if you fly you have to pack differently than if you drive. I love getting to drive since there's no luggage fees like the airlines :D

shoes: wanted to add - don't get caught up in shoes for each outfit. Normally I bring flip-flops & a pair of 'go with everything' sandals, the kids usually sneakers & some form of beach shoe, dh birk's & a pair of deck shoes

Aside from the "shorts at dinner", what you're bringing will be fine. You'll spend the majority of your day in swimsuits and shorts.

Slacks, capris, sundress, skirts, etc...are fine for dinner. For men, long pants and collared shirt will do.

We enjoy the formal evenings and do bring our eveningwear, but you don't have to...you won't be the only ones!

Most cruiselines will have it posted either at the dining room entrance or in the daily newsletter that shorts are not allowed at dinner.

That said, some people wear them anyway and they are allowed in. Just depends on how comfortable you are with going against the guidelines.

You say you have late seating but the kids will want to be in the kids' club - that starts at 7, but late seating is at 8:30, so they will miss pretty much everything other than the late night (pay) zone. So, you might want to either switch to early or feed the kids in the WJ early, send them off to the kids' club and then eat as a couple.

Whatever you want to do about formal night - if you don't want to dress, you can always eat in the WJ as well - but, remember it's a great opportunity for a really nice family portrait.

Kids are expected to follow the same dress code as adults.

A sport coat and tie is fine for formal night -- well, pants and shirt and sox and shoes too of course. Actually, one long sleeve shirt might prove useful for hubby. Sometimes the theater is chilly.

Mostly, leave room in your luggage for souvenirs. If you stuff your luggage full, well, no shopping for you!

It is also recommended that you mix your stuff -- some of the boys', some of the wife's, and some of hubby's -- among all the suitcases. That way if one of the suitcases is lost, everyone still has something to wear.

If hubby is really adventurous, he can rent a tux on board. I'll probably do that next May for my 25th anniversary on the Carnival Conquest.

As for the late seating in the MDR, another option is to feed the kids at the Windjammer buffet around 6 or 6:30, drop the off at Adventure Ocean, then you and hubby have a quiet relaxing dinner. MDR dinner takes over an hour. I don't know your kids. Can they sit still that long? If not, keep the late dinner and feed the kids early at the Windjammer. The only problem might the kids miss the theater shows that way. I think age 9 and 11 can self check in and out of Adventure Ocean if you permit it. Your kids might even be able to eat at the Windjammer on the their own after a show (shows are usually before dinner for late MDR seating) and go to Adventure Ocean on their own. The ship is very safe. Our grandkids self check themselves.

Most cruiselines will have it posted either at the dining room entrance or in the daily newsletter that shorts are not allowed at dinner.

That said, some people wear them anyway and they are allowed in. Just depends on how comfortable you are with going against the guidelines.

There are three distinct types of evenings onboard: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: con_bulletgray_ico.gif Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women con_bulletgray_ico.gif Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

The number of smart casual and formal nights is at the ship's discretion.

Cruise Length

Casual

Smart Casual

Formal

3-night

4-night

5-night

6-night

7-night

8-night

9-night

10-night

11-night

12-night

2*

13-night

14-night

15-night+

Remaining Casual

Note: *Some 12-night European cruises may have 3 formal nights

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Please note ice skating on our Voyager Class & Freedom Class ships requires that all skaters wear long pants and socks for their own comfort and safety. Capris and long shorts are permitted.

• THESE ARE THE DRESS CODES DIRECTLY FROM RCL. MY ADVISE IS FOLLOW THEM OR EAT AT THE BUFFET. DON'T SAY " BUT PEOPLE WEAR SHORTS OR PEOPLE WEAR JEANS" JUST READ THE RULES...

HI everyone,

Going on a 9 day cruise next summer..I hate to overpack, ......

i just hate to over over pack -

thanks

lisa

We did the same cruise in 2009, and will be doing it June 2011.

We overpacked. WAY overpacked.

This year I will take one pair of dress slacks for dinner. I did take a black suit for formal, will do so again.

I found that most of the time it was bathing suit, shorts, and T-Shirts everyday. Nighttime, for dinner, slacks, golf shirt. Sometimes after dinner, got changed into shorts.

And if you come up short on some piece of clothing, you can buy it.

No shorts in main dining room for dinner; I do think they are allowed for breakfast and lunch. However, no tank shirts for men allowed at any time.

Our son came in and they sent him back to cabin to change into a tshirt and this was for lunch. I had on a tank type top but they didn't say anything to me so guess it's just for the men. You will see a mixture of all sorts of dress. Some completely over the top for formals with the ladies and some dressed like they were going to the grocery store. Same for the men, some will be in a tuxedo and some will go to formal event wearing only shirt and slacks. Pack enough that you will be comfortable; I usually pack a few extra tops/shirts for both of us. Just don't overpack.:D

Since its summer, yes you can wear shorts and nice shirts for dinner. You can check out some colorful maxis specially designed for summer. Don’t over pack you luggage, its ultimately you who will have to carry it along.

SANDRAMURPY, APPARENTLY YOU DON'T CRUISE MUCH. LOVETOCRUISETO IS CORRECT. NO SHORT ALLOWED IN THE MDR FOR THE EVENING MEAL. JUST BECAUSE SOME DO IT, IT IS STILL WRONG.:eek::eek::eek:

Thanks everyone for the responses...

We are going w/ a few other couples and kids so i'm sure my kids will do the buffett and then go to the kids club perhaps a couple of nights they will eat with us...i would love for them to be able to check themselves in/out - will have to see when i get there...

Also how many can fit at a table in the MDR? we have about 6 couples going plus kids - were thinking 1 table for the adults, and the other table for the kids - can a table hold 12 adults?

I didn't think about changing our cloths after dinner - good idea..though with late seating i might be going to sleep after dinner lol!

We defiinitly won't be doing shorts in the MDR for dinner

Lisa

Here's how we pack for family: Men/boys: 2 pair of khakis and 4 polos each for casual nights in MDR. Dark suit, one white dress shirt, 2 ties for the formal nights. They can "rotate" because they are only worn for a couple of hours and if pants or shirts get soiled, send it to the laundry. It's only a couple of dollars. Women: 2-3 cocktail dresses (depending on the # of formal nights), one pair of strappy shoes that goes with the dresses. Capris and tops that can be interchangeable or sun-dresses for casual nights. If you can get by with the same pair of strappy sandals, you are in great company. Use accessories to dress them up (the dresses, not the men's wear (lol). Shorts, flip flops, t-shirts for both women, men, boys, girls. Under pack the number of t-shirts needed if you will be buying any t-shirs as souveniors. When you run out of t-shirts, wear your souvenior t-shirts (unless they are for gifts, of course). Wear the heavier shoes such as the tennis shoes or even the men wearing the dress shoes on the flight, which saves luggage space. The only thing we don't skimp on is underwear, and if we were to run out, we can send the bag of laundry to be done at the special "everything the bag can hold for one price" deal. We also carry 2 swimsuits for everyone so that one is drying while we wear the other one.

Thanx for ur packing strategy...does sound good!! Do u have the kids change back into shorts after dinner b4 going to the kids club??

We did change our dining to early seating figure this way the kids can eat with us and we can have some time along in the evenings..

Here's how we pack for family: Men/boys: 2 pair of khakis and 4 polos each for casual nights in MDR. Dark suit, one white dress shirt, 2 ties for the formal nights. They can "rotate" because they are only worn for a couple of hours and if pants or shirts get soiled, send it to the laundry. It's only a couple of dollars. Women: 2-3 cocktail dresses (depending on the # of formal nights), one pair of strappy shoes that goes with the dresses. Capris and tops that can be interchangeable or sun-dresses for casual nights. If you can get by with the same pair of strappy sandals, you are in great company. Use accessories to dress them up (the dresses, not the men's wear (lol). Shorts, flip flops, t-shirts for both women, men, boys, girls. Under pack the number of t-shirts needed if you will be buying any t-shirs as souveniors. When you run out of t-shirts, wear your souvenior t-shirts (unless they are for gifts, of course). Wear the heavier shoes such as the tennis shoes or even the men wearing the dress shoes on the flight, which saves luggage space. The only thing we don't skimp on is underwear, and if we were to run out, we can send the bag of laundry to be done at the special "everything the bag can hold for one price" deal. We also carry 2 swimsuits for everyone so that one is drying while we wear the other one.

Archived