Maps of E. Caribbean islands?

pdmlynek

Hi, there!

This is a phenomenal site, and I am learning so much! Thank you all! I’ve got a couple of newbie questions that I could not find answers to by doing a search.

We (DW, 12yo, 10yo, 8yo and I) are experienced traveler, but never cruised before, and are looking to do eastern Caribbean (i.e. scheduled to do SJU-STT-RSU-BGI-SLU-BAS-PHI-SJU) 7 nights on Carnival Victory in Nov 2010.

Question:

(1) We are having a hard time finding any good maps of the islands that we’ll visit. We are looking for 1:25K to 1:100K maps of these islands, preferably no more than 15 years old. They would be used for hiking, driving around, and generally exploring the islands while the ship is at port, so topographical or detailed roadmaps would suffice. The usual vendors (e.g, USGS, MapLink out of Sta. Barbara) surprisingly is rather sparse. The only maps that I found are nautical navigational charts, or stylized tourist maps, neither of which is helpful. Any suggestions?

Get a guidebook...there are maps, and LOTS of info...it's a great way to get the most out of your time in each country!

Libraries are free, but you can buy them in any bookstore! Best investment you'll make.

Thank you, all! I appreciate your input. :)

I am glad that I am not going crazy or lazy, and that there really are not any good maps of most of these islands (USVI is however well covered by USGS, and TI).

As far as “just Google it” goes, yes, been there, done that. I understand the sentiment (I am a moderator or frequent poster on other sites, and it really bothers me when newbies don’t JFGI), but I assure you that this is not the case here. At least I hope not. :o A number of databases are just not indexable by Google. I love Google, but I also know its limitations.

Using Google Earth is an excellent planning tool when I am at home, but is of limited use in the field. There is simply no way that I can print of sufficient sized paper or resolution to be of use. Moreover, I have had limited success in displaying contours and hiking trails on GE.

Similarly, none of the tourbooks that I am familiar with, LP, Moon, LG, RG, EW, Fd, Fr, have any topographical maps. I love these tourbooks, but there do not contain any maps that I are of sufficient quality that we are looking for.

Thank you, I do appreciate you advise. If I run across anything, I post back here for others. ;)

Hi, there!

This is a phenomenal site, and I am learning so much! Thank you all! I’ve got a couple of newbie questions that I could not find answers to by doing a search.

We (DW, 12yo, 10yo, 8yo and I) are experienced traveler, but never cruised before, and are looking to do eastern Caribbean (i.e. scheduled to do SJU-STT-RSU-BGI-SLU-BAS-PHI-SJU) 7 nights on Carnival Victory in Nov 2010.

Question:

(1) We are having a hard time finding any good maps of the islands that we’ll visit. We are looking for 1:25K to 1:100K maps of these islands, preferably no more than 15 years old. They would be used for hiking, driving around, and generally exploring the islands while the ship is at port, so topographical or detailed roadmaps would suffice. The usual vendors (e.g, USGS, MapLink out of Sta. Barbara) surprisingly is rather sparse. The only maps that I found are nautical navigational charts, or stylized tourist maps, neither of which is helpful. Any suggestions?

Well since I own a Map Store, I guess this is in my purview. Many countries consider Topographic maps as part of their national security and they only may be available thru the various countries' military. However there are some decent travel maps out there that may be of help.

SJU-STT-RSU-BGI-SLU-BAS-PHI-SJU San Juan, St. Thomas of course can be obtained from USGS. Although the Trails Illustrated (National Geographic) is probably a better choice.

Rousseau might be a little harder to find. But there is a Mapeasy Map of the Southern Caribbean that does give a little bit of info on Dominica, St. Lucia and St. Kitts. St. Maarten is a very small island and although it is also included on the Mapeasy map, you probably do not really need a map.

So other than the US Territories, you probably do not need a map of each island. They all would be available as Nautical charts if you are desparate. However, you should remember that much of the island may be privately owned and the owners may not really appreciate people tramping across their land. Taking into account the short time that you may have on the individual islands, a map may not be necessary either. So look for the Mapeasy map or the ones that you find on the islands. (BTW, even though I have access to maps for my cruises, I seldom take any and really have not found the need for them.)

mapsmith

Well since I own a Map Store, I guess this is in my purview. Many countries consider Topographic maps as part of their national security and they only may be available thru the various countries' military. However there are some decent travel maps out there that may be of help.

SJU-STT-RSU-BGI-SLU-BAS-PHI-SJU San Juan, St. Thomas of course can be obtained from USGS. Although the Trails Illustrated (National Geographic) is probably a better choice.

Rousseau might be a little harder to find. But there is a Mapeasy Map of the Southern Caribbean that does give a little bit of info on Dominica, St. Lucia and St. Kitts. St. Maarten is a very small island and although it is also included on the Mapeasy map, you probably do not really need a map.

So other than the US Territories, you probably do not need a map of each island. They all would be available as Nautical charts if you are desparate. However, you should remember that much of the island may be privately owned and the owners may not really appreciate people tramping across their land. Taking into account the short time that you may have on the individual islands, a map may not be necessary either. So look for the Mapeasy map or the ones that you find on the islands. (BTW, even though I have access to maps for my cruises, I seldom take any and really have not found the need for them.)

mapsmith

How rude and presumptuous! I don't think the OP deserves or required tips on her behavior or being told what she did or did not need.

It's HER cruise, and if She wants maps it's her business.

She can also go where she likes, doesn't need your permission and didn't ask for it.

Use your maps and go find some respect for others.:rolleyes:

How rude and presumptuous! I don't think the OP deserves or required tips on her behavior or being told what she did or did not need.

Speaking of presumptious, since the OP refers to a DW, I assume that OP is a male...although one never knows, and preferably doesn't care.

Anyway I have a 1:25,000 topographic map of Tortola which I found very useful in walking across the hills to Brewer's Bay. When I got picked up by some "kind strangers" who for some reason asked me for directions, even though they were part-time residents, we all three found it very helpful.

I was also able to use a "carte topographique" for Ile St-Martin and was able to find a beach and navigate around the Salt Pond on foot.

So I agree that if you want to get out on your own a good map is very useful, particularly "topographic or detailed roadmaps", which is what the OP is asking for. I have found it so.

She can also go where she likes, doesn't need your permission and didn't ask for it.

Use your maps and go find some respect for others.:rolleyes:

Please substitute He for She in the above post!

Thanks!;)

I'm *kinda* in the same boat.

I am looking for a street map of Grand Cayman. And, I DO need one. We are renting a vehicle and I would like to be able to plot each of the places we want to go so that we take the most efficient routes/order of places to stop, etc.

I have googled and googled and can't seem to find one that I can print out, or even just get a good enough look at to take some notes.

I am guessing that I will be able to get one when we get there (maybe from the car rental agency or something) but I would really like to have one in advance so I can do the planning and not waste our limited time that day.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

I would do what I did as a kid when I thought of somewhere I wanted to

explore. Write to the Chamber of Commerce. In this day and age, it is

probably the bureau of tourism or something. Many Caribbean islands have tourism offices located in NYC or possibly other large cities?

Often times we buy maps at larger book stores, some we have bought in

Toronto . Being a larger city with many cultures represented, we have always found what we need.

I recognize and appreciate the OP request. We always take a nice sized Caribbean map on our cruises and put it on the wall with small magnets. We like to know where we are, where we're going and where we've been. Each to their own....

Sherri

Notwithstanding another personal attack by Zambini. . . For Grand. Cayman the best commercially available map is th "Franko's" map of the Cayman Islands. Although it is a dive map it is the one we used last January and the road portions are good.

(And. Zambini, I was trying to point out that because most of the islands are rather small, it is not always necessary to have a map as you explore them. )

(And. Zambini, I was trying to point out that because most of the islands are rather small, it is not always necessary to have a map as you explore them. )

Hate to join the "attack" but I have to disagree with this. Unless you can see the entire island from one place, or unless you have ESP, or unless you rely very much on the kindness of strangers, you need a map or map equivalent if you want to cut loose on your own and not get lost. A map with topographic features is even more useful, since roads and property lines can change but mountains and valleys typically stay put.

Archived