Another Price Drop Question...

New to the whole "price drop" thing...so just wondering if I'm understanding the new policy correctly. If we've already made final payment (because we booked within the time frame that the final payment would have been due) and there is a price drop then I'm basically out of luck? :confused:

Yep, that's the new rule. Unless you made final payment and the price drop occurs within 48 hours. I'm sure someone can (and will) correct me but I believe if a lower price is available for a higher category you can upgrade.

When did this new rule come into force?. Royal still pushes their "best price guarantee" which will cover you with a shipboard credit for any subsequent price drop. The only exception to this is that if the reduction is offered on a short term basis only as part of a promotional package and for new bookings only.

We were caught in this trap on our last cruise (Jewel in May) when such an offer was made and there were passengers on our cruise who paid $400 less than us for a similar stateroom.

When did this new rule come into force?. Royal still pushes their "best price guarantee" which will cover you with a shipboard credit for any subsequent price drop. The only exception to this is that if the reduction is offered on a short term basis only as part of a promotional package and for new bookings only.

We were caught in this trap on our last cruise (Jewel in May) when such an offer was made and there were passengers on our cruise who paid $400 less than us for a similar stateroom.

the new policy started May 17th, so if you booked previous to that you are grandfathered in to the old policy after, you get the new one.

No, it all changed for cruises booked after May 17th. It is just like PattyG12 posted. The "best price guarentee" refers to any price drops that occur within 48 hrs of your booking after the final payment date. It is a very nice, fancy, and rather misleading term for meaning if the price drops after 48 hrs of your booking past the final payment date you are pretty much out of luck. If you booked before the final payment date you are not elegible for any price drops that occur after the final payment date nor will you get any OBC for those drops.

Oh wait...so I booked our cruise in November of 2009...it leaves September 26th 2010....and our final payment was due about 2 weeks ago. If there is a price drop, I can still get on board credit?

Sorry, I am running slow today :rolleyes:

If you booked a cruise PRIOR to 5/17/10 and there is a price drop, then YES you get the difference up to 72 hours before sailing.

If you booked a cruise AFTER 5/17/10 and there is a price drop BEFORE final payment date, you get an obc or a reduced amount due. If you get a price drop AFTER final payment date, you get an upgrade to a better cabin if it's price is now the same or less than your original booking.

It doesn't matter when the cruise date is, it's when you first booked the cruise: before or after 5/17/10.

If you booked a cruise PRIOR to 5/17/10 and there is a price drop, then YES you get the difference up to 72 hours before sailing.

If you booked a cruise AFTER 5/17/10 and there is a price drop BEFORE final payment date, you get an obc or a reduced amount due. If you get a price drop AFTER final payment date, you get an upgrade to a better cabin if it's price is now the same or less than your original booking.

It doesn't matter when the cruise date is, it's when you first booked the cruise: before or after 5/17/10.

Does anyone know if we UK passengers can take advantage of this or not? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I am sailing on the Splendour on 11/6. The final pay date is in about two weeks. There are a ton of empty cabins. I booked a Jr. suite, but I am thinking of downgrading to an inside so that I will be able to take advantage of any price drops by upgrading my cabin. I won't mind if I end up with the inside since it is half the price of the Jr. Am I nuts?

I am sailing on the Splendour on 11/6. The final pay date is in about two weeks. There are a ton of empty cabins. I booked a Jr. suite, but I am thinking of downgrading to an inside so that I will be able to take advantage of any price drops by upgrading my cabin. I won't mind if I end up with the inside since it is half the price of the Jr. Am I nuts?

You aren't nuts at all.....better yet if there is still PLENTY availability i would just cancel and rebook again after final....plenty availability only means one thing....prices are going down. Just remember....Royal has also gotten swift with running "special sales events" now....and those aren't even upgradeable.

Don't they still exclude you from those sales since they are for new bookings only and they know you cancelled?

Yes.

I know you can't cancel Monday & re-book on a Tuesday Sale but doesn't it really depend on the timing of the cancellation? If there's a reasonable time frame between canceling & re-booking it shouldn't be a problem.

I think that is a good strategy and I hadn't thought of that before so thanks for the tip!

Don't they still exclude you from those sales since they are for new bookings only and they know you cancelled?

ONLY if you cancel and rebook right away....I believe you have to wait like 10-14 days and you are fine. Moral of the story....if you see plenty availability 2 weeks before final.... cancel.....Royal will not lower that pricing before final....they actually start to raise it most of the time to trick people into thinking prices are going up just so they don't cancel....I see it all the time to only then watch them drop after final. How many times do we read here about people who have recently posted about booking 1.5-2 years out only to watch pricing go up and then right back to what they paid after final....LOTS lately.

I think that is a good strategy and I hadn't thought of that before so thanks for the tip!

Not really Marci.....many sailings like that with SO MUCH availability go right to Tuesday Sales Events....those are EXCLUDED from allowing you to upgrade, Royal is getting swift like I mentioned in my above post....only way to be certain is to cancel, wait and rebook.

Thanks for all of the advice. I have downgraded to an inside and I am still deciding if I want to cancel. I booked with a TA that will charge me if I don't book another cruise within a day. I have a cruise I could move to them, but I am really looking forward to not having to deal with them anymore. I will let you know how it works out.

So if I have this right. You should never pay off your total bill until tha last day due. My daughter has told me to pay everthing but $10 and I can still get a price drop.

Im pretty sure you can still get price drops right up until your final payment date no matter if you pay in full early or not.

Im paying my February cruise off at the end of this month to get it out of the way and start working on saving for hotel, gas and on board spending money..........I certainly hope I would qualify for price drops up until my December 7 final payment date.

If not, I will also leave a small balance but out of all the stuff i have read concerning their new rules, I have not read that.

Archived