Vatican - guided tour or self-guided

cruiselovers20

Hello! we are planning our visit to Rome and would like opinions on whether it would be best of doing a guided tour or do it on our own.

If we do the tour by ourselves, should we purchase the tickets in advance or should we wait until we arrive.

Your recommendations are much appreciated!

Cruiselovers20

You'll probably get your tix in advance whether you use a guide or not. The hours-long line often wraps completely around the outside of the Vatican while those with tickets basically just "walk right in!"

The answer to your question is "it's totally up to you." Many do it both ways. But, the Vatican is vast and crowded ... and a guide can really help you make the most out of your time there ... both in maneuvering from one important site to another and giving you great insight into what you are experiencing. We used a guide a few weeks ago and I'm happy that we did.

This is one of those "know thyself" questions. I've had a guide in the Vatican museums once, and been on my own at least five times, so there's my preference.

There is a tremendous amount of information readily available in my language (English) about the museums and the collections, so it's easy to do on my own. I like to set my own pace and decide where to focus my time and attention rather than leave that choice up to a guide.

In other places, where information in my language isn't readily available, a guide has been a big help (in China, for example).

We've done guided tours twice (first time through the Vatican and second time with a private company) and enjoyed both. The next time we'll do it on our own.

Due to the size of the museums (1400 rooms) and extensive collection of works of art, I think a guided tour is a good idea for your first visit. As much as we usually prefer DIY touring, we appreciated being able to look at the works of art while having interesting details pointed out, rather than having to read from a book and then look at the piece. You will only see a fraction of the collections on a tour (as well as via DIY) but you'll see some of the highlights and will have the option to spend more time on your own afterwards if you want to see more.

An audio guide is another option (available at the entrance) but having to return it to the museum entrance means a long walk back instead of doing the shortcut (and avoiding the lines) from the Sistine into St. Peter's Basilica.

As another person so well put "know thyself", but there are certain advantages to guided and pre-purchased tickets with careful planning.

If you are going in the summer it will be hot and crowded. Rumors is that afternoons the line is shorter, on our trip there in 2008 the lines at lunch time were long, but after lunch considerably shorter.

What works best depends both on your confort to DIY, your budget and what you want out of the visit.

For a first visit and for people who aren't to adventurous I'd do it with a guide. For the veteran or the independent minded with a sense of adventure and who knows they will like to explore at their own pace DIY is both a money saver and rewarding.

We've been to the vatican twice, first time when we were young doing it unguided during non-peak time, perfect. The last time during peak summer months with 3 generations of family, guided was the smart choice. ;)

Hello! we are planning our visit to Rome and would like opinions on whether it would be best of doing a guided tour or do it on our own.

If we do the tour by ourselves, should we purchase the tickets in advance or should we wait until we arrive.

Your recommendations are much appreciated!

Cruiselovers20

1227243578_3300_RomethelonglinestotheVatican.jpg.19041256dac5d39c5b4033b6d4a22502.jpg

I was going to ask the same question today - thanks for the post. I've been reading several of these posts, and I just want to make sure I understand correctly: If you buy your tickets on-line in advance, then you DO NOT have to wait in those long lines, correct? It doesn't matter if you book a tour guide or walk around on your own as long as you have pre-purchased those tickets you can go to the front and show them your tickets, right? Thanks for the clarification!

Tammy

thanks for all the feedback from all of you! any suggested sites where to purchase tickets if we do it by ourselves? also, any suggested tour co's from those who have taking tour guides and liked the experience?

your recommendations are much appreciated!

Cruiselovers20

I was going to ask the same question today - thanks for the post. I've been reading several of these posts, and I just want to make sure I understand correctly: If you buy your tickets on-line in advance, then you DO NOT have to wait in those long lines, correct? It doesn't matter if you book a tour guide or walk around on your own as long as you have pre-purchased those tickets you can go to the front and show them your tickets, right? Thanks for the clarification!

Tammy

Yes, it's true that if you prepurchase your tickets for admission, you do not have to wait in the line. You can choose to just purchase admission or you can purchase the official guided tour, which includes your admission.

thanks for all the feedback from all of you! any suggested sites where to purchase tickets if we do it by ourselves? also, any suggested tour co's from those who have taking tour guides and liked the experience?

your recommendations are much appreciated!

Cruiselovers20

Agree with Daryleann that booking directly is a good option for a tour (or just tickets). We booked directly with the Vatican for our first trip, and Angel Tours Rome on our second visit to Rome.

I liked the Angel Tours one better because it was a smaller group (14 people vs. 25 or 30), the tour guide was more personable and easier to understand and he spent a longer amount of time with us. They both gave similar amounts of info, but the Vatican guide's voice was usually monotone ... basically, here's the info. However, I'm sure there are some Vatican guides who present the information in a more interesting manner. The Angel Tours guide seemed genuinely interested in making sure that we were enjoying the tour.

The tour format is the museums first, then the Sistine Chapel, and then direct access to St. Peter's Basilica (without having to wait in the line for the Basilica outside.)

Neither of the guides went into St. Peters with us, and the Vatican guide did not go into the Sistine Chapel with us. (The Vatican guide left us at the entrance to the Sistine Chapel and had briefed us previously with slides re most of the murals.) The Angel Tour guide went into the Sistine Chapel with us, (he had also briefed us previously via a display board) and although guides are not supposed to talk in there, he managed to sneak in a few words and point out some things that he didn't want us to miss. He then briefed us on some highlights in St. Peters (good for those who don't have guide book material with them) before we headed off on our own there.

Since the Vatican tour group was so large, we wore headsets to hear the guide.

There is a significant difference in price though, so if cost is a factor, then go with the Vatican one, as I'm sure you'll find it worthwhile.

Originally Posted by LouiseSeth viewpost.gif

Tammy

Yes, it's true that if you prepurchase your tickets for admission, you do not have to wait in the line. You can choose to just purchase admission or you can purchase the official guided tour, which includes your admission.

Cynthia

Thanks, Cynthia!

This appeared in a Canadian Newspaper this morning

The Vatican was criticized after taking action against tourists wearing skimpy clothes.

Tourists entering St Peter's Basilica have long been required to dress modestly, but from early this week the Swiss Guards - the Pope's security force - Wednesday appeared to have extended the rules to the entire Vatican City State. The guards drew aside men in shorts and women with uncovered shoulders and short skirts to tell them that they were not dressed properly. Some female visitors bought shawls and scarves from nearby hawkers, while a few men had to go to nearby shops to buy long trousers. Others were refused entry altogether,

Visitors said that the Roman Catholic Church should have more important things to worry about at a time it was battling scandals over paedophile priests. "Given all the scandals the Church has been involved in, what possible right can it have to be preaching about the morality of sleeveless dresses?" asked one woman in her seventies, identified only as Maria.

The tough dress code also applied to Romans using the Vatican's pharmacy, supermarket and post office.

Archived