Cat. HH on Island

geoherb

We are thinking of booking a Christmas cruise on the Island Princess. Right now, we can get a fairly good rate (considering it's a holiday cruise) for a Cat. HH cabin. There are only four of them, and Princess just has a guarantee available.

Has anyone from Cruise Critic stayed in one of these cabins? I wonder if the obstruction is terrible since they are next to balcony cabins that jut out right behind them. Or perhaps the view is better than some of the higher obstructed view cabins.

We could book a Cat. G instead for $40 more per person--and once again, Princess is just offering guarantees for those four cabins.

We are thinking of booking a Christmas cruise on the Island Princess. Right now, we can get a fairly good rate (considering it's a holiday cruise) for a Cat. HH cabin. There are only four of them, and Princess just has a guarantee available.

Has anyone from Cruise Critic stayed in one of these cabins? I wonder if the obstruction is terrible since they are next to balcony cabins that jut out right behind them. Or perhaps the view is better than some of the higher obstructed view cabins.

We could book a Cat. G instead for $40 more per person--and once again, Princess is just offering guarantees for those four cabins.

Two of the cabins look like they have a decent view for an obstructed view cabin and two do not.

However, since there are only four of them and it is Guarantee only, changes are (but not 100% sure) you would be upgraded, possibly to another type obstructed or possibly to an unobstructed window.

If it were me, I would go ahead and book the HH guarantee. Booking a G would not necessarily get you a better view if you actually received G.

That is what I was thinking from looking at the deck plans. But those can be off somewhat in the way they show the lifeboats. We have been assigned to cabins that I was certain were going to be almost totally obstructed and ended up finding out that we had great views over the lifeboats.

We booked an HH guarantee on the Island Princess for a cruise we took this past June for two cabins (one for myself and husband and the other for our kids). A couple of weeks before the cruise we were assigned two ocean view cabins (NO obstructions), category D, and were very pleased. :D Booking a guarantee is always a gamble, but we were prepared to receive a completely obstructed cabin. We have booked an obstructed view cabin on our next cruise (this Christmas) and will see what happens. If it is obstructed, we really don't care, and if we end up in something unobstructed, that would be a great Christmas gift.

Archived