traffic at brooklyn Cruise terminal is terrible today

smeyer418

worst I have ever seen. I saw people leaving buses and walking in. Traffic was a mess for a good mile before you entered the pier itself.

I just got off the ship. The reason for the mess is there were hardly any porters, it was crazy. They just didnt show up to work :confused: Most people had to take their own luggage outside. Traffic was at a standstill coming in when I left. Cars were literally parked with drivers standing outside their cars! So I'm guessing try to get luggage on the ship was just as bad if not worse!!!

I just got off the ship. The reason for the mess is there were hardly any porters, it was crazy. They just didnt show up to work :confused: Most people had to take their own luggage outside. Traffic was at a standstill coming in when I left. Cars were literally parked with drivers standing outside their cars! So I'm guessing try to get luggage on the ship was just as bad if not worse!!!

more than likely it was the cruise terminal that screwed up. Most of the people doing the work are semi-retired stevedores who need the money. It good pay for limited work. Its not like the stevedores on the NY side are busy- they aren't at all. This is one of the few(like two) working piers left in NYC....Thanks for the insight!

but it really was bad. I sort of stop by the pier when the ships are in(although I have also taken cruises from there) and it today is by FAR the worst I have seen. I went to Fairway for lunch(and some shopping) and it took me twice as long as normal to get home(and I know the secret ways)..

Sid

They will be leaving 2 hours late due to the baggage situation...

Cruise lines routinely build in an hour or so if they are late leaving the first port. It means running at a higher speed(which cost more) but they normally can make up an hour with no problem at all.

the yellow ferry taxi you see is coming from either Ikea or the taxi ferry barn....

more than likely it was the cruise terminal that screwed up. Most of the people doing the work are semi-retired stevedores who need the money. It good pay for limited work. Its not like the stevedores on the NY side are busy- they aren't at all. This is one of the few(like two) working piers left in NYC.

Remember taking a cruise from NY in 2006 where the luggage service was so bad the ship was still being loaded after 7 PM. The men loading the bags looked to be over 70 years old and were working more like they were deceased. Good strong NY union workers following the rules and making the customers suffer.:D

Remember taking a cruise from NY in 2006 where the luggage service was so bad the ship was still being loaded after 7 PM. The men loading the bags looked to be over 70 years old and were working more like they were deceased. Good strong NY union workers following the rules and making the customers suffer.:D

I'm sure you were really suffering...watching 70 yr. old men loading luggage while on the deck of a cruise ship, drink in hand....I'd love to suffer that way! :rolleyes::p:D

From the webcam they're still there.

That was the worst cruising experience of my life. It took 4 hours to go that last mile or so and board the ship. We are in a suite and that didn't even help:mad: Now I just have to hope the weather improves. It's just cloudy. No rough seas or anything.

We had great fun last Sept attempting to board the Crown for C/NE. They would not let our bus driver in the port area (these were all Princess transfer passengers). After a long wait the driver said this is b**it and pulled into an open parking spot and we started getting off the bus. At this point a couple a couple Longshoremen yelled for us to get back on the bus ! We did and some lady said this is insane and she was getting off and walking to the termainal. We started to follow. Again the Longshoremen said we had to identify our luggage before proceeding to the terminal. You point to your luggage and he holds out his hand for a tip. The port area was total chaos. Passengers were mad, Longshoremen were yelling, passengers were getting back on the bus the bus driver was telling them to get off. Finally all we could do was start to laugh. It was really that funny. By time we got to Quecec there was two inches of snow on the ground, but thats another story ! :):)

"Brooklyn Cruise Terminal" <bct@nycedc.com>

To:

"'Sidney Meyer'"

Yesterday was, by far, the worst day we’ve had here at the terminal. The simple reason for the traffic was a lack of man power. For a variety of reason, we had 60 less longshoremen working to turn the ship around. In essence, we had only 24 men/women available to disembark/embark 7,000 people and approximately 15,000 pieces of luggage. In addition, the ship had approximately 400 pallets of provisions that needed to be loaded.

In the coming days, I will be meeting with the various entities that operate here at the terminal, in an attempt to NEVER have this happen again. The venom that was spewed in our direction was well deserved as we can up short in our commitment to the passengers and our community.

I apologize for any disruption the traffic caused you.

Best,

David Alvarez

General Manager

To:

"'Sidney Meyer'"

Yesterday was, by far, the worst day we’ve had here at the terminal. The simple reason for the traffic was a lack of man power. For a variety of reason, we had 60 less longshoremen working to turn the ship around. In essence, we had only 24 men/women available to disembark/embark 7,000 people and approximately 15,000 pieces of luggage. In addition, the ship had approximately 400 pallets of provisions that needed to be loaded.

In the coming days, I will be meeting with the various entities that operate here at the terminal, in an attempt to NEVER have this happen again. The venom that was spewed in our direction was well deserved as we can up short in our commitment to the passengers and our community.

Best,

David Alvarez

General Manager

Thanks for posting this Sid.

Quells the rumors. :)

To:

"'Sidney Meyer'"

Best,

David Alvarez

General Manager

It was mayhem! By pure luck my sister found a guy coming in, we were 4 families and we shared him, even though, we still had a few items to carry ourselves.. As we left the terminal I couldnt believe the standstill traffic coming in!

Archived