Does Seabourn usually set up shuttle buses at their ports of call?

rols

We've picked a couple of excursions on the Kobe -> Shanghai cruise we're keen on, for most of the other ports we just want to head into town and see a few things, then zip back to the ship. Does Seabourn usually provide shuttle buses into town on their cruises? We've cruised only with Silversea before now and they usually do, there were ports however where for local reasons they could not and it was taxis or nothing.

The same is true for Seabourn.

There are some places around the world where the local authorities do not allow the cruise lines to offer shuttles. For example shuttles cannot be offered in the major ports of call in India.

Keith

It's very rare that SB does not provide a shuttle and that is usually when the town or points of interest are so close that you can walk then within a few minutes.

I disagree. That is the way it may have used to be, but recently, 2 of 6 Med ports needed a shuttle bus and neither had one. It would appear Seabourn is cutting back on this amenity.

Hi, we did the cruise in reverse in June.We had shuttle buses supplied at most of the ports but it took quite a long time to get into some of the towns and there was usually a long gap in the schedule at lunchtime.

Kagoshima-the shuttle started at 9am but took nearly 30minutes into town,there weren't money changers at the port but the "guides" on the shuttle were more than happy to give directions to the nearest bank.

Nagasaki - it is a 10 minute walk into town or 5 minutes to Glover Gardens but there was still a shuttle supplied and moneychangers at the port with directions for the tram to the Peace Park etc.

Pusan - Shuttle takes about 20 minutes and the shopping was good, visit the fish market and the HOHO bus was excellent.

Jeju-Shuttle but no info on the town or signage.

Mokpo-shuttle but it is a town that needs a lot of exploring and is bigger than it first appears.

We missed the next 2 ports due to fog and had extra time in Shanghai where there there was a shuttle to the "Old Town".

Jean

I disagree. That is the way it may have used to be, but recently, 2 of 6 Med ports needed a shuttle bus and neither had one. It would appear Seabourn is cutting back on this amenity.

Do you happen to recall which 2 had no shuttle bus and which 4 did?

Do you happen to recall which 2 had no shuttle bus and which 4 did?

Actually there were no shuttle buses at any of the ports, but four of the ports didn't need transport since we either docked at or tendered in to the center of the village (Palamos, Bandol, Le Lavandou and St.-Tropez). A shuttle bus in Port-Vendres would have been nice. While we docked in town, the major sights were all in Collioure (three miles away). In Marseilles we docked in an industrial port about a 20 minute walk (no shade) from anything.

Yes

Regarding my question about free shuttle from Piraeus/Athens cruise terminal to the nearby metro/train/bus station, I just called Seabourn, and they told me they don't provide this service, so I'll need to buy a transfer or take a taxi. :confused:

Even if a shuttle was provided it only takes you into a shopping area and then it is still a good walk to the train station. If you are disembarking it is just as easy to take a taxi to the hotel, there will be plenty outside the terminal with a list of fares on the terminal door.

J

Regarding my question about free shuttle from Piraeus/Athens cruise terminal to the nearby metro/train/bus station, I just called Seabourn, and they told me they don't provide this service, so I'll need to buy a transfer or take a taxi. :confused:

There were shuttle buses at the dock in August 2009.There are also taxis which are inexpensive.

I wonder if this is a Seabourn amenity or one provided by the tourist authorities in the given port. Or, possibly, it is a shared cost.

I think it varies. I think in some ports it is provided by the locals merchants. Other ports where the tour operator gets the shuttle I think it is built into the overall shore excursion costs and still other ports it is likely an added cost.

Keith

Hi, we did the cruise in reverse in June.We had shuttle buses supplied at most of the ports but it took quite a long time to get into some of the towns and there was usually a long gap in the schedule at lunchtime.

Kagoshima-the shuttle started at 9am but took nearly 30minutes into town,there weren't money changers at the port but the "guides" on the shuttle were more than happy to give directions to the nearest bank.

Nagasaki - it is a 10 minute walk into town or 5 minutes to Glover Gardens but there was still a shuttle supplied and moneychangers at the port with directions for the tram to the Peace Park etc.

Pusan - Shuttle takes about 20 minutes and the shopping was good, visit the fish market and the HOHO bus was excellent.

Jeju-Shuttle but no info on the town or signage.

Mokpo-shuttle but it is a town that needs a lot of exploring and is bigger than it first appears.

We missed the next 2 ports due to fog and had extra time in Shanghai where there there was a shuttle to the "Old Town".

Jean

Thanks - that's absolutely super information - exactly what we needed. Between the two of us, my wife speaks mandarin and we can rustle up enough Japanese to get by so we were quite looking forward to just heading into town on the shuttle buses and visiting the places we wanted to see and .. it seems that's perfectly possible.

I am researching my 1st Seabourn cruise, for our 30th Wedding Anniversary next May and have just come onto this part of cruisecritic to ask the same question!

P&O with whom I usually cruise with provide free shuttle buses at every port which is not very near the main attractions...even in places like Madeira when its only a 20 min walk to the promenade,

I am looking at a 7n cruise from Athens and when I put in 'Corfu' for example it only offered such things as mountain bike rides and car and driver hire, so, are there no free shuttles then to Corfu town for example? You would get this with P&O.. or are you expected to hire taxis at every port?

I am researching my 1st Seabourn cruise, for our 30th Wedding Anniversary next May and have just come onto this part of cruisecritic to ask the same question!

P&O with whom I usually cruise with provide free shuttle buses at every port which is not very near the main attractions...even in places like Madeira when its only a 20 min walk to the promenade,

I am looking at a 7n cruise from Athens and when I put in 'Corfu' for example it only offered such things as mountain bike rides and car and driver hire, so, are there no free shuttles then to Corfu town for example? You would get this with P&O.. or are you expected to hire taxis at every port?

Seabourn always organises shuttle buses, unless you are already right in the centre of town/village/port!

Marja

and as you got off the shuttles, they tried very hard to herd you into their shops......poor things failed miserably with us. There were also two employees of H Stern on the ship for most of the cruise. We got to know one quite well, and he (always jokingly) tried to talk hubby into buying me some jewells.....hubby said "Igor, everyone has to have a failure in life, and I am yours" :) Needless to say I didnt get any souvenirs....

Archived