early upper dining table for two?

annie2

I just printed my express documents and have been confirmed for early upper dining. It doesn't say anything about a table for two. We had requested that but not sure how it works. Does early upper dining mean any table? My mom doesn't hear well so it would be a strain for her to try to keep up with a conversation. I know I can switch to open dining but just wondering when the assign the specific tables. Thanks in advance!

Assigned dining also means that you are assigned a particular table number. I am not sure if you can access that prior to boarding. I suggest you go to the dining room immediately upon boarding, and check it out. If you did not get your request for a table for two, ask to see the dining room manager. He is usually at a desk in the nearby Explorers Lounge to handle requests for changes.

I just printed my express documents and have been confirmed for early upper dining. It doesn't say anything about a table for two. We had requested that but not sure how it works. Does early upper dining mean any table? My mom doesn't hear well so it would be a strain for her to try to keep up with a conversation. I know I can switch to open dining but just wondering when the assign the specific tables. Thanks in advance!

We booked or Sept. Nieuw Amsterdam cruise in July of last year and I see we're still waitlisted for early upper. When did you book yours and are you in a suite, veranda or inner cabin? I've often wondered how HAL decides which dining requests to honor first.

Upper level dining is Traditional assigned seating. Our confirmation states our request for table for two but it is never absolutely certain until we arrive at the ship. When you check in, your ID will state your table number. You can go to dining room and see chart. If the table according to the chart is not to your liking, you can attempt to have it changed. The Dining Room Manager or one of his assistants are always available on embarkation day and the daily program you will find on the bureau in your cabin gives the location where he can be found.

When we book and our TA has completed all the paper work -- our confirmation paper work indicates that we have requested Traditionsl (fixed) dining -- Early Upper and that we have requested a table for 2.

Many of the ships now give you your daily program when you check in at the pier. So once you see your dining time and table number on your ID you can check the chart in front of the dining room once on the ship to see if it is a table to your liking.

If it isn't -- then check the time and place in the daily program to meet with the dining room managers and/or his assitants.

We have never been given a Daily Program when we checked in. Funny...... I've read that here before but out of all our HAL cruises boarding in various ports, never received in at check in.

When you sailed Westerdam, did you get it in the terminal? How about Eurodam? Maasdam? We didn't.

On our last Maasdam cruise in April (embarkation port was San Diego) we got the Daily Program when we checked in. First time that had happened and given how many activities were scheduled for that afternoon we enjoyed looking it over during the (very few) minutes we waited until our boarding was announced. Right after lunch we went to some activity; probably wouldn't have known about it if we hadn't looked at the listings while we were still in the terminal.

By the time we joined up with you on Maasdam in FLL, no Daily Programs given at check in, Marney. What you describe does make sense though. The sooner you see the Program, the better to decide if there is something you wish to do.

We have never been given a Daily Program when we checked in. Funny...... I've read that here before but out of all our HAL cruises boarding in various ports, never received in at check in.

When you sailed Westerdam, did you get it in the terminal? How about Eurodam? Maasdam? We didn't.

We recieved one (for the first time ever on HAL) on our last cruise on the Oosterdam back in November. We got it upon checking in at the cruise terminal in FLL, along with our cruise card and ship's map.

I'll be anxious to see if we get one in Rotterdam when boarding the Westerdam on the 9th.

We recieved one (for the first time ever on HAL) on our last cruise on the Oosterdam back in November. We got it upon checking in at the cruise terminal in FLL, along with our cruise card and ship's map.

I'll be anxious to see if we get one in Rotterdam when boarding the Westerdam on the 9th.

Am I misreading your post?

Oosterdam boarded in FLL? I'm quite sure there is some mistake here.

We would have jumped on a FLL embarkation on Oosterdam. She is a West Coast ship and the reason we have not yet sailed her.

We booked or Sept. Nieuw Amsterdam cruise in July of last year and I see we're still waitlisted for early upper. When did you book yours and are you in a suite, veranda or inner cabin? I've often wondered how HAL decides which dining requests to honor first.

I booked in June for a Sept. cruise to Alaska. I booked a deluxe suite and was confirmed to open choice until I printed my express docs today. It nows says "confirmed early upper dining" but doesn't say anything about the table for two I requested. Thanks to everyone for their comments and I will try and get that table for two or I can always change to open dining. I am sure it will be a fantastic cruise. I really wanted to provide a once in a lifetime cruise experience for my mom and am looking forward to her enjoying the deluxe verandah.

I booked in June for a Sept. cruise to Alaska. I booked a deluxe suite and was confirmed to open choice until I printed my express docs today. It nows says "confirmed early upper dining" but doesn't say anything about the table for two I requested. Thanks to everyone for their comments and I will try and get that table for two or I can always change to open dining. I am sure it will be a fantastic cruise. I really wanted to provide a once in a lifetime cruise experience for my mom and am looking forward to her enjoying the deluxe verandah.

We always book Deluxe Suites and can not get our table assignment until we arrive at the pier and look at our ID cards.

You will love that Deluxe Suite.

I am going to answer my own question! I found out that by going online to my itinerary and then my custom itineraries it said confirmed upper dining. Request table for 8. I am glad I found it because I had a requested a table for two. A quick call to my online TA resulted in changing my request to a table for two. Hope this helps anyone else looking for their requests.

Our table request has always been on the top of the confirmation. Just looked at all for our upcoming cruises and every one has confirmed for dining time (main upper) and request for table size.

The Dining preference didnt show up until the day or so I was able to print my express docs. It didn't show up on the express docs but I found it this way:

1. My account

2. My reservations

When I go to my reservations it says Custom Itinerary

Then it states my stateroom category and number.

Under that it says, Dining, Early upper, 2 person table requested.

From the hal website:

Stateroom: DELUXE VERANDAH SUITES SA 7061

Dining: Early Upper Dining, 2 person table requested

Sail, We got ours while checking in for Westerdam in February this year in the terminal. As a matter f fact, I remember it clearly because hubby was filling out the health questionnaire and the Shore Personnel Lady brought them to us and told us what it was. Don't know why you have not yet received one, but we did.

Joanie

Sail, We got ours while checking in for Westerdam in February this year in the terminal. As a matter f fact, I remember it clearly because hubby was filling out the health questionnaire and the Shore Personnel Lady brought them to us and told us what it was. Don't know why you have not yet received one, but we did.

Joanie

I'm another one who has never received the Daily Program in the terminal.

Neither have I, including when I boarded the Westerdam in May.

I can see where it could come in handy knowing what's going on as soon as I board, considering that we can't get to the cabins for a while. But, they would also be one more thing to hang on to when our hands are already full of boarding paraphernalia.

Joanie

Yes Ma'am, we also received a Daily Program on the 18th when checking in at Seward, AK for Statendam. Me thinks, a new thing HAL just started doing!:cool:

Archived