End of Cruise Bill

Rhitson88

What happens if you can't pay it? Hyperthetically speaking of course. I use a cash account so that wouldn't happen to me but does anyone know if money just got out of hand? Would they never let you off? As if that will be such a big deal haha.

If you are paying your seapass account in cash, they will lock the account when it goes past the deposit, until you pony up the additional funds.

If paying with a credit card, they put a large hold on the card and increase the holds as you spend. If the cc compny declines the additional holds, then the card is locked until another card or cash is given to them.

This is usually why you will hear passengers being paged in the middle of the cruise on a day at sea as the pursars department does it's thing.

If you are paying your seapass account in cash, they will lock the account when it goes past the deposit, until you pony up the additional funds.

If paying with a credit card, they put a large hold on the card and increase the holds as you spend. If the cc compny declines the additional holds, then the card is locked until another card or cash is given to them.

This is usually why you will hear passengers being paged in the middle of the cruise on a day at sea as the pursars department does it's thing.

On our last cruise, our cruise cards got "locked" about mid-way through our 7 day cruise. We went to the purser's desk and they informed us that the credit card company had locked the card, which forced the ship to lock it. The crew member at the purser's desk assured us that it was probably a simple problem and dialed up our credit card company. The credit card company asked us to verify a few charges we made, and the whole thing was cleared up within minutes. We had even called the credit card before leaving to notify them of our travel, yet they STILL locked it.

Princess was fantastic... It was the credit card company that bothered me in 2 ways. First - the whole point of notifying a credit company that you are traveling is to avoid this exact situation. Second - if they didn't make a note on our account about us traveling, then why did they let charges go for 4 straight days before locking our account? :eek:

What happens if you can't pay it? Hyperthetically speaking of course. I use a cash account so that wouldn't happen to me but does anyone know if money just got out of hand? Would they never let you off? As if that will be such a big deal haha.

Charges under $500.00 - they throw you in the brig!

Charges over $500.00 - they throw you overboard!!:D

Walk the plank......or scrub the pots and pans...maybe your first born..:D:D

Hahaha!!! To funny. What if the first born is there with us? Can we just do a simple swap right then and there? Lol. Kidding people. Yeah I know how it works with cash. Just wanted to know consequences in case that was to ever happen for some crazy reason. Prefer the cash way though and will probably never do any other way.

On our last cruise, our cruise cards got "locked" about mid-way through our 7 day cruise. We went to the purser's desk and they informed us that the credit card company had locked the card, which forced the ship to lock it. The crew member at the purser's desk assured us that it was probably a simple problem and dialed up our credit card company. The credit card company asked us to verify a few charges we made, and the whole thing was cleared up within minutes. We had even called the credit card before leaving to notify them of our travel, yet they STILL locked it.

Princess was fantastic... It was the credit card company that bothered me in 2 ways. First - the whole point of notifying a credit company that you are traveling is to avoid this exact situation. Second - if they didn't make a note on our account about us traveling, then why did they let charges go for 4 straight days before locking our account? :eek:

Do you mind if I ask what credit card company that was? I would hate to have to deal with that after calling them in advance!

Me three!

I am betting it's either Chase, or B of A.

It was actually CapitalOne. What's interesting is that we had never notified a credit card company before of our travel. My wife watched some "travel tip" segment on a TV show which suggested it so she did. And as I said - we had used the card in the islands for days before they decided it was "suspicious".

It was a minor inconvenience though. As I said in my post - the Princess staff immediately recognized the situation and helped us resolve it quickly. A few minutes of frustration and we were all back to normal. :)

It was actually CapitalOne. What's interesting is that we had never notified a credit card company before of our travel. My wife watched some "travel tip" segment on a TV show which suggested it so she did. And as I said - we had used the card in the islands for days before they decided it was "suspicious".

It was a minor inconvenience though. As I said in my post - the Princess staff immediately recognized the situation and helped us resolve it quickly. A few minutes of frustration and we were all back to normal. :)

Yeah I heard your always like supposed to let your bank know and stuff in case you use your debit card. Heard that will get locked probably twice as fast if they don't have notice or sometimes they won't even let it work a first time. So I always let my bank know that I MAY use my debit card. But most likely not.

Thank you for that information. That's what I'm afraid of - it's the card we plan to use in Europe and I had planned to call ahead of time (used to doing it with our Citicards card because they watch the account like a hawk).

I was afraid we'd run into the same problem - called ahead and then possibly denied. With the language barrier, this could be a bit of a problem.

Thank you for that information. That's what I'm afraid of - it's the card we plan to use in Europe and I had planned to call ahead of time (used to doing it with our Citicards card because they watch the account like a hawk).

I was afraid we'd run into the same problem - called ahead and then possibly denied. With the language barrier, this could be a bit of a problem.

No prob. It was really annoying that we took the time and extra precaution to let them know where we were traveling, and then they still did that. I'm glad it happened while we were on board and not while we were in port.

It was actually CapitalOne. What's interesting is that we had never notified a credit card company before of our travel. My wife watched some "travel tip" segment on a TV show which suggested it so she did.

Thanks....

We never have and don't plan on it either.

Thanks for coming back to let us know which card it was. As I understand it, Capital One is the only card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. I hate paying the 2-3% with other cards, but what can you do?

When I started cruising I began letting CC companies know we would be traveling to certain areas in advance. Never had a problem with AMEX or Discover, only with my own bankcard (now known as Wells Fargo) in CA no less. I never travel unless I have several cards with me just for this purpose. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for coming back to let us know which card it was. As I understand it, Capital One is the only card that doesn't charge foreign transaction fees. I hate paying the 2-3% with other cards, but what can you do?

When I started cruising I began letting CC companies know we would be traveling to certain areas in advance. Never had a problem with AMEX or Discover, only with my own bankcard (now known as Wells Fargo) in CA no less. I never travel unless I have several cards with me just for this purpose. Thanks for the heads up.

That's the only reason why we opened a Capital One account. There is no way I'm going to pay 2-4% for foreign transaction fees or annual credit card fees. To me, it's a total waste of money - albeit not much - but still I'd rather spend that money on something tangible. ;)

Citicards will monitor your account and it is quite normal for them to call and verify charges. With their no limit cards, it's a security measure that I appreciate.

You would have set up your payment type prior to or during the boarding process so it would be hard to skip out on it.
This is one of the reasons why Princess requires you to enter a credit card # on your PIF before you can print your boarding pass. I know some refuse to do that and encourage others not to as well.

Some cruiselines automatically put a hold on your credit/debit card for $000s when you board, before sailing, to make sure you have enough to pay your onboard account. HAL is one and I seem to remember that they put a hold of $600 on my credit card. I'm not at my computer so I'll have to check out how much they hold.

This is one of the reasons why Princess requires you to enter a credit card # on your PIF before you can print your boarding pass. I know some refuse to do that and encourage others not to as well.

Some cruiselines automatically put a hold on your credit/debit card for $000s when you board, before sailing, to make sure you have enough to pay your onboard account. HAL is one and I seem to remember that they put a hold of $600 on my credit card. I'm not at my computer so I'll have to check out how much they hold.

Just got back from a HAL cruise. They put a hold in the amount of $60 pp per day on our CC. We are pretty used to this, as we travel for business a lot.

We are use to this as we both travel for business a lot. My husband watches it like a hawk, so he knows when they have released the hold.:)

Archived