Quinceniera on Serenade of the Seas

Jomigi

We just got off the Serenade of the Seas yesterday Aug 1st. This week they were celebrating the quinceniera of about 30 girls onboard. Does anyone know how often royal carribean hosts these parties for the girls turning 15 yrs old. I forgot to ask when I was there.

Not sure how often but we went on the Voyager of the Seas out of Galveston this past April and it was during the Mexican spring break. There were A Lot of quincenieras! It was pretty cool.

We just got off the Serenade of the Seas yesterday Aug 1st. This week they were celebrating the quinceniera of about 30 girls onboard. Does anyone know how often royal carribean hosts these parties for the girls turning 15 yrs old. I forgot to ask when I was there.

We just returned from a 4 night Monarch and there were at least 100 and I'm not joking. I thought the girls acted awful and I'm a mom of two teens ages 19 and 15! I had never heard of Quinceniera before this trip and couldn't figure out where all of these teenaged girls were coming from and where their parents were. Well, the majority were on our floor!

The "chaperones" were what I would call older college students who acted just as rude and loud as the girls. In the evenings the girls would be sitting all over the stairwells and wouldn't move to let you go through, they were very loud and acted like the owned the ship. The last night on the ship they were all lined up to take care of their stateroom bills so everyone else who had a question on their bill had to wait an incredible amount of time.

Also, just like at Disney, their Chaperones carried those flags around so wherever the flag was, the girls were attracted to it like bees on honey.

I just sent my 19 year old to Europe for 4 weeks but she was with 4 college professors and 30 students for a college summer course. I can't imagine sending my 15 year old with 100 other girls her age and 6 chaperones.

My girls have cruised since they were little so they know the cruise etiquette like waiting your turn at the buffet, not running through the hallways or around the pools, not hanging out on the steps, etc.

As a mom of teenaged girls I was really disappointed in these girls actions. I did see security dispersing them and trying their best, but I really don't think RCL should have let them all on the ship with so few to supervise them.

By the way, I toured at Christmas time with our high school girls basketball team to a tournament at Disney so I know what it's like to keep control of teens so that the teens and the others vacationing can all have a good time. Thus, it can be done.

We just returned from a 4 night Monarch and there were at least 100 and I'm not joking. I thought the girls acted awful and I'm a mom of two teens ages 19 and 15! I had never heard of Quinceniera before this trip and couldn't figure out where all of these teenaged girls were coming from and where their parents were. Well, the majority were on our floor!

The "chaperones" were what I would call older college students who acted just as rude and loud as the girls. In the evenings the girls would be sitting all over the stairwells and wouldn't move to let you go through, they were very loud and acted like the owned the ship. The last night on the ship they were all lined up to take care of their stateroom bills so everyone else who had a question on their bill had to wait an incredible amount of time.

Had a similar experience on the Serenade during our B2B this June. 30+ girls on each leg of the sailing. And yes, they do not move out of your way. It took every ounce of restraint in me not to just plow through them. Way too many spoiled teenage girls in one place for me to deal with. And before you all go accusing me of being some old fuddy duddy, I'm only 29.

I had a similar experience with about 100+ girls on my June AOS '03 cruise out of San Juan. I thought the girls and their traveling companions were very rude and disruptive and they always traveled in packs. For some reason, our dinner in the main dining room was delayed because the girls had to make an entrance. Go figure! I made a mental note to never cruise on AOS again in June. I erroneously thought that was the only time they had a Quincenera. Judging from this board it's not just an annual event. :eek: I had previously traveled on AOS in March '03 and thought the cruise was pleasant and it was not crowded. Boy, the June cruise was a 380 degree difference. But I still had a good time!

Does any one know if a Quincenera is scheduled for the SOS October 24 cruise?

We have been on 2 cruises now with 100+ girls with ~6 chaperones, both times around Valentines Day. Both times, the chaperones seem to have too much to drink at dinner and the girls ran wild all night in really slutty clothes. They were terribly inconsiderate to others around them.

I'm guessing (hoping?) that girls who are actually with their parents for this rite of passage are probably much better behaved.

I am a high school teacher. When I see teenagers running around and acting rude, I say something to them. If they are in my way, I say, "Excuse me." It makes DH crazy, but after teaching so many years, I can't help myself. I even say something when they butt in line :eek: SOMEONE needs to teach these young people, if their parent aren't. Oh, and I have NO PROBLEM speaking to their chaperone. :p I pay good money for my vacation and I will not be annoyed by an obnoxious, misbehaving, teen. Of course, I prefer not having to get into "teacher mode" but I can turn it on in a second, if I have to.

RCCl does not organize, plan or market quinceniera parties. These are private parties that just book as group. Most all cruises has some sort of private group parties on board. Some are just more quiet .

I am a high school teacher. When I see teenagers running around and acting rude, I say something to them. If they are in my way, I say, "Excuse me." It makes DH crazy, but after teaching so many years, I can't help myself. I even say something when they butt in line :eek: SOMEONE needs to teach these young people, if their parent aren't. Oh, and I have NO PROBLEM speaking to their chaperone. :p I pay good money for my vacation and I will not be annoyed by an obnoxious, misbehaving, teen. Of course, I prefer not having to get into "teacher mode" but I can turn it on in a second, if I have to.

I think I might have paid money to see this happen. We were told on our cruises that these groups of girls were from Panama. I don't know if they spoke any English, but I think an angry adult transcends language barriers. :D

I think I might have paid money to see this happen. We were told on our cruises that these groups of girls were from Panama. I don't know if they spoke any English, but I think an angry adult transcends language barriers. :D

Bring it on! I speak FLUENT Spanish :D

Also, just like at Disney, their Chaperones carried those flags around so wherever the flag was, the girls were attracted to it like bees on honey.

I just sent my 19 year old to Europe for 4 weeks but she was with 4 college professors and 30 students for a college summer course. I can't imagine sending my 15 year old with 100 other girls her age and 6 chaperones.

My girls have cruised since they were little so they know the cruise etiquette like waiting your turn at the buffet, not running through the hallways or around the pools, not hanging out on the steps, etc.

As a mom of teenaged girls I was really disappointed in these girls actions. I did see security dispersing them and trying their best, but I really don't think RCL should have let them all on the ship with so few to supervise them.

By the way, I toured at Christmas time with our high school girls basketball team to a tournament at Disney so I know what it's like to keep control of teens so that the teens and the others vacationing can all have a good time. Thus, it can be done.

We were on Monarch 3 night July 16th sailing....we had a VERY large group of mostly teenage girls (some boys) from Paraguay....there had to be about 100 easy. When I first saw them getting off the buses from my cabin I was a bit nervous since I have a 12 and 15yr old and thought....there goes the teen club. The group actually was VERY well behaved...I even talked to a few of the kids as well as chaperone's. I didn't even notice them all that much on the ship as they had some events set-up for them in private places. I also had My Time Dining so didn't have to deal with them since they were on Late dining....although I walked into the dining room one night just to see them and they were all well behaved. The one thing I will say is they do dress a bit more risqué:eek:...no idea how they walk in those high heels. As for the kids club they had them all doing their own event with an entirely separate DJ out on the basketball court....so they had little interaction with the rest of the kids club...but they could go in and out if they wanted. In the end my kids who were at first fretting actually made friends with several of them and LOVED how they taught them many dance moves. One thing I will say is I am glad I didn't have them all on my floor....but thats the reason I like to book deck 9 on Monarch/Majesty in the first place....it's a great quiet floor to be on:)

I had a similar experience with about 100+ girls on my June AOS '03 cruise out of San Juan. I thought the girls and their traveling companions were very rude and disruptive and they always traveled in packs.

This was my experience on AOS in 2007. It was awful. It wasn't just the girls, but the entire group associated with them caused a lot of disturbances on our cruise.

I had a similar experience with about 100+ girls on my June AOS '03 cruise out of San Juan. I thought the girls and their traveling companions were very rude and disruptive and they always traveled in packs. For some reason, our dinner in the main dining room was delayed because the girls had to make an entrance. Go figure! I made a mental note to never cruise on AOS again in June. I erroneously thought that was the only time they had a Quincenera. Judging from this board it's not just an annual event. :eek: I had previously traveled on AOS in March '03 and thought the cruise was pleasant and it was not crowded. Boy, the June cruise was a 380 degree difference. But I still had a good time!

Does any one know if a Quincenera is scheduled for the SOS October 24 cruise?

A Quinceanera is a 15th birthday celebration, so it can happen at any time of year depending on when the girl's birthday is. I suspect you will only see large groups of Quinceanera girls on cruise ships together at times when kids are out of school, though.

We had the same rude experiences on AOS both times we cruised on her. Once the first week of June and the other the last week of November. 100's of rude teenagers and chaperones that did nothing about it.

We are going to try AOS again but this time the second week of December. I hope the groups are smaller then.

we got stuck with a similar situatiom out of Miami during an early Easter break one yr-- very loud families w/unsupervised children running loose all week & pushy rude parents.. I know people bash cruisers from NY too, but this was really unpleasant...

They had to suspend room service due to kids stealing the room service cards, some poured chocolate syrup onto the art auction & some picked the gems off the elephants in the Solarium--they were under the age to be there but their parents did not care...could hardly use the elevs cause kids were in there all day pushing buttons...

have cruised so many times with well supervised children & loved them all -- this was just a bad group ...

I am NOT a high school teacher and all I have to say is kudos to you. However, I will always say something much like you and it drives my 2 girls crazy. I have no tolerance for this behavior on a cruise ship a restaurant or a movie theater. Its rude and I agree, if I have paid for the movie, vacation, meal, I expect to enjoy it without the drama of teenage girls. I get enough of that at home..

There were literally a boatload of them on my June 26 LOS cruise. Girls, their family and friends. I believe I was told their were like 60 of them. I talked to a family member of one at the bar ... apparently these girls are solicited by travel agencies as a group. While on board they have their party which includes the dance with dad and dinner with the captain.

Although pretty, these girls on the LOS were very rude ... which in my eyes made them not-so-pretty. I am aware that this is their big celebration but to me, teenage girls should not act and dress the way they did. I'm glad my 14 yo son was not with me on this cruise because he would have been miserable because of them and the way they acted.

The above stories are why we avoid sailing out of PR like the plague...we love the southern itineraries but will avoid those that embark from SJ...from posts on this board I thought the problem was worse on AOS and have never heard of it on Serenade...guess it doesn't matter which ship.:(

And you can't avoid these groups...you never know when one of those groups will be onboard...

The childen, teens & some of the adults on our cruise from Miami semed not to understand English so I just spoke in Spanish--kind of shocked them! Why childen from Miami don't speak Eng--not sure??

even so, It's not that hard to learn common phrases of courtesy like we do when we travel abroad-- "Excuse me" or "pardon me" go a long way!

Rudeness can't be controlled but the cruise line is responsible for insuring that all guests are followig the general rules like no children in hot tubs or under the required age in the Solarium.

We avoid certain time periods, departure ports etc...& have not had any issues since--although we generally disfavor large groups anytime!!

We had the same thing happen on our Mariner cruise of out Port Canaveral in June 07. While most of the girls were well behaved, my DD (16 at the time) was pretty much chased out of the teen club due to them taking over and playing all of their music selections. Fortunately she found a good group of kids to hang out with and they just went other places on the ship.

So, its not just the sailings out of PR that have the potential for the issues. Do a google search for quincineras and you'll find many TAs looking to set up a group sailing!

Archived