Tipping - Restaurant Waiters & Private Drivers

oshawa

Can someone tell me what is the average tipping for waiters and private drivers from airport to Rome, ship to airport etc.

I know in some countries the restaurant tips are included in the bill.

Tipping in restaurants is not typical practice in Italy. It is NOT that the tips are included in the bill, it is just not done. Italians may round up to the nearest euro and leave some change on the table but they don't tip like we do in the USA. IF someone gives you outstanding service in some way then tip.

The same is true for drivers but these days USA tourists have got some drivers used to getting tipped so for a private tour I'd tip about 10% but for just a drive from the airport a few euro.

Tipping in restaurants is not typical practice in Italy. It is NOT that the tips are included in the bill, it is just not done. Italians may round up to the nearest euro and leave some change on the table but they don't tip like we do in the USA. IF someone gives you outstanding service in some way then tip.

The same is true for drivers but these days USA tourists have got some drivers used to getting tipped so for a private tour I'd tip about 10% but for just a drive from the airport a few euro.

Umm, this has not been my experience, including traveling with and eating out with Italians in their home towns.

The rounding up to the next Euro is true for taxi cab drivers.

In restaurants, my Italian friends and acquaintences have been a bit more generous. Certainly not to the degree Americans are - they are appalled by our tipping behavior (but also by the fact that we pay servers less than minimum wage) - but they tip more than simply rounding up.

It's also, by my observation and from asking questions, not as simple as a straight percentage. My head was spinning from the various explainations I received.

In the end, I decided the easiest thing to do is sort of split the difference. Since at home I tip between 15% - 20%, when in Italy I stick to 10%, which makes it pretty easy.

In the end, I decided the easiest thing to do is sort of split the difference. Since at home I tip between 15% - 20%, when in Italy I stick to 10%, which makes it pretty easy.

I know this has been asked before - but what would YOU tip for a private tour driver/guide?

I'm good with whatever the going rate is, I just don't want to under tip or over tip.

Ayyy yi yiiiiii.... another tipping thread :eek:

You will get answers from one extreme to the other. Count on it.

The above post is probably the best advice you will get...... just stick to 10% across the board for good service.

We have done more - we have done less.......just like we do here, depending on the service we receive.

Archived