advice on getting pricing reduced

wannatan

Generally, I'd agree with you but [in the UK] it's a very different system so the less confusion, the better. That's IMHO, of course.
Pam is correct, as usual. The clutter of "I got my price adjusted" posts serves only to create ill will (as it should) but the ill will isn't properly directed. People in the UK have gotten what they asked for (or perhaps gotten what was forced open them) because of how their system of regulation is structured.

And of course Princess and other cruise lines comply. They have to follow the rules...but the rules are also to their advantage by restricting free and fair trade. Of course, it's the consumer that suffers...the consumer ALWAYS suffers when trade is restricted.

Is there any evidence of Princess and other cruise lines making representations to the UK or AUS govenments to have exceptions made given that we are in the age of the internet? I think not - they are too busy booking the additional profit. Product manufacturers do the exact same thing only they can hold in country warrantys over the heads of consumers who buy outside the trading area. It is difficult to do this with a consumable and one that is consumed outside of the country.

Probably not Ian, (if that's not your name my apologies). It's like my example with consulting for an Australian client. Everything can be done electronically. And I (and therefore the company I work for) would immediately be in violation of AUS law if I did it.

And yes, we make more money as a result. Maybe that's why everything costs twice as much in Australia.

You see this issue as one of corporate greed. There is also bureaucratic greed involved. And probably some palms to grease, too.

We've experienced TWO significant price reductions on our upcoming Caribbean cruise in October. I was notified of one by our TA and the other was brought to my attention through this BB :) Now I just need to understand how to get an upgrade! :rolleyes:

General price reductions don't happen that often; they are usually tied to a promotion. :(

Pam in CA, I am going to respectfully disagree with your comment. There have been price reductions on 60% of our princess cruises (80% of those lasting more than one week). Whether you call them "promotions" or not, we have always been able to get the lower price.

Pam in CA, I am going to respectfully disagree with your comment. There have been price reductions on 60% of our princess cruises (80% of those lasting more than one week). Whether you call them "promotions" or not, we have always been able to get the lower price.
There are some areas in the past that have had consistent price reductions over the last few years. Alaska is one of them because there were too many ships going and too many berths available. With several ships leaving Alaska, there are now fewer berths and thus there will likely be fewer price reductions, specials, promotions, etc. For most other parts of the world, there aren't many price reductions. Perhaps one of the reasons why I'm not aware of some of them is that I book early and get a very good, low rate so if the cruiseline does reduce prices, I'm still getting a lower price. Whether or not there's a price reduction depends on several factors: one is when you book as often, prices go up and then sometimes go back down; another is the time of year, i.e., don't expect a price reduction during holidays or school vacation times; and another is the region where you are sailing. I've seen very few price reductions in South America, Asia or Europe but have seen a few in the Caribbean.

The reality is that Princess (like most cruiselines) redeploy their ships where they can get the best pricing, i.e., make the most money. So if you see consistent price reductions in one region over a couple of years, expect the ship to be redeployed elsewhere where the cruiseline can charge higher prices.

There are some areas in the past that have had consistent price reductions over the last few years. Alaska is one of them because there were too many ships going and too many berths available. With several ships leaving Alaska, there are now fewer berths and thus there will likely be fewer price reductions, specials, promotions, etc. For most other parts of the world, there aren't many price reductions. Perhaps one of the reasons why I'm not aware of some of them is that I book early and get a very good, low rate so if the cruiseline does reduce prices, I'm still getting a lower price. Whether or not there's a price reduction depends on several factors: one is when you book as often, prices go up and then sometimes go back down; another is the time of year, i.e., don't expect a price reduction during holidays or school vacation times; and another is the region where you are sailing. I've seen very few price reductions in South America, Asia or Europe but have seen a few in the Caribbean.

The reality is that Princess (like most cruiselines) redeploy their ships where they can get the best pricing, i.e., make the most money. So if you see consistent price reductions in one region over a couple of years, expect the ship to be redeployed elsewhere where the cruiseline can charge higher prices.

Pam In CA -- The last three cruises where we received a reduction were Baltic (spring 2009), Alaska (May 2010), and the one we leave for tomorrow (British Isles). This latter was originally booked last year.

Prices go up & down. I believe it accurate & helpful to advise someone that they should try to take advantage of a fare drop. It is definitely worth watching and asking.

Archived